Kirsten Kingdon Addresses More Light Presbyterians

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 25, 2000
      Note #5966 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:
      June 24, 2000

      Kirsten Kingdon Addresses More Light Presbyterians
      PFLAG director urges people to overcome their fears
      by Nancy Rodman

      LONG BEACH, June 24 - Kirsten Kingdon, Executive Director of Parents,
      Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), carried the PFLAG message
      of health and well-being for gay, lesbian, transgendered, and bisexual
      people to those gathered for the annual More Light Presbyterians Celebration
      dinner. �When there are many closeted people,� she said, �the cost to
      society is tremendous and far-reaching. We are unable to rejoice in our
      diversity. The more we can heal people of their fears, the more we can
      foster healthy communities.�

      Kingdon spoke of the time when her son was coming out as a gay man
      and PFLAG helped and supported her and her husband. �PFLAG continues to be
      there for families that need models and support,� she said..

      PFLAG members, Kingdon continued, are witnesses to the commitment to
      changes in hearts and minds. A family that has been healed is a powerful
      witness, she said, and encouraged her listeners to go back to their churches
      with the PFLAG message because, �religion is a great source of pain among
      families dealing with sexual orientation and gender identity issues.�

      The Presbyterian Church is celebrating the Year of the Child, but,
      Kingdon said, it is not the Year of the Child if the child is or is
      perceived to be gay or lesbian. As part of its mission to change this,
      Kingdon announced that PFLAG has designated October �From Our House to the
      Schoolhouse� month, a campaign to help each chapter speak out, assess what
      is going on in schools, and help.

      �If we join together there will be power in the community to promote
      a healthier society,� she said.

      This week of the General Assembly will be a week of highs and lows
      with uncertain outcomes, Kingdon said, a week to remember the words of Psalm
      46: �God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble ... Be
      still and know that I am God.�

      Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays is a family-based
      organization with more than 425 affiliates nationwide that provide support
      and information about sexual orientation and gender identity.

      The More Light Presbyterians Celebration dinner was also the
      occasion for the annual presentation of awards. These included the 2000
      David E. Sindt Award for outstanding individual leadership, presented to the
      Rev. Grayson L. Tucker, and the 2000 Inclusive Church Award, presented to A
      Community of the Servant-Savior PC(USA), the Rev. Susan Quinn Bryan, pastor.