Shower of Stoles Hits the Road

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000

      SHOWER OF STOLES HITS THE ROAD WITH OVER 200 UM STOLES
      By Martha Juillerat �Shower of Stoles Director

      Thanks to the terrific response of Reconciling Congregations, MFSA chapters,
      student organizations and supportive individuals
      across the country, the Shower of Stoles Project collected 220 United
      Methodist stoles and stories this spring. As a result, we were
      able to present a wonderful display at the General Conference (GC) that
      completely surrounded the AMAR Coalition Resource and
      Hospitality Room across the street from the Convention Center.

      In addition to this display, we were able to "take your stories to the
      streets." Every day at General Conference a group of volunteers
      stood outside the convention center as the delegates returned from lunch,
      reading stories and names from the stoles. And perhaps
      most important, several hundred people, including dozens of delegates, wore
      stoles from the collection or symbolic strips of cloth
      representing stoles on the second-to-last day of GC as a silent witness in
      support of all Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender
      United Methodists.

      NOW WE'RE TAKING YOUR STORIES ON THE ROAD! Over the summer portions of the
      Shower of Stoles will be displayed at
      nearly a dozen Annual Conferences and several UM congregations. This fall
      the stoles will be in many more congregations, colleges
      and UM seminaries. If you didn't get a stole to us in time for the General
      Conference, SEND ONE NOW and we'll take it with us
      around the country this fall!

      For more information contact Martha Juillerat at the Shower of Stoles
      Project, e-mail: stoleproj@..., phone: (612)
      377-8792.

      RCP Flashnet is an e-communication of the Reconciling Congregation Program.
      3801 N. Keeler Ave. Chicago
      IL 60641 ph 773-736-5526