Nebraska Clergy to Celebrate Covenant Service

    Message 1 of 1 , May 12, 2000
      THREE MORE CLERGY IN UNITED METHODIST CHURCH ANNOUNCE PLANS TO HOLD SAME SEX
      UNION CEREMONY

      Press Release: May 11, 2000 Media Contact: Laura Montgomery Rutt
      For Immediate Release 717-627-7180

      `NEBRASKA CONFERENCE CLERGY CHALLENGE CHURCH POLICY ON HOLY UNIONS

      Cleveland - A clergyman in the Nebraska Conference of the United Methodist
      Church announced today that he plans to perform a union ceremony for two men
      in Omaha, Nebraska on June 3, 2000. The announcement came on the day in
      which the General Conference of the United Methodist Church voted to
      maintain the prohibition against minister conducting same sex union
      ceremonies.

      The Reverend Mark Roland Kemling, an ordained elder in The United Methodist
      Church, stated that he had agreed earlier this year to perform the ceremony.
      At least two other ministers in the Nebraska Conference have agreed to
      stand with him during the ceremony, to offer their support.

      "I was greatly disappointed that The United Methodist Church would decide to
      continue its discriminatory policies," stated Rev. Kemling. "It is my
      belief that we should be extending the full ministry of the church to all
      people, no matter of who they love."

      United Methodist Church policy prohibits ministers from performing union
      ceremonies of couples of the same sex. Rev. Jimmy Creech, who was also from
      Nebraska, was recently defrocked for celebrating a union ceremony for two
      men.

      "I am performing this covenant between two people who love one another
      because I am called to be in ministry with all people," declared Rev.
      Kemling. "Change doesn't come without conflict. The church is
      discriminating against loving relationships, and I need to stand up for the
      integrity of my beliefs. This issue isn't settled yet."