News from West Ohio

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 18, 2000
      CALLED OUT INFORMATION SERVICE
      All of the following articles are from the Columbus Dispatch, with the most
      recent first. They are in three groupings:
      (1) UM General Conference News
      (2) Burnings of the Gay Flag in the name of Christianity
      (3) Hate Crime: The murder of a gay man Bill Camelin and attempted murder of
      his partner, Scott Roberts

      All except the first have a long web address only because they are in a
      database. If you can't get the long URL to work, go to
      http://www.dispatch.com, choose search, and do a key word search.

      -----------------

      3 DENOMINATIONS TO CONFRONT ISSUE AT CONVENTIONS
      Date: Friday, March 17, 2000
      Section: NEWS - FAITH & VALUES
      Page: 01G
      Illustration: Illustration, Photo
      Byline: Dennis M. Mahoney and Felix Hoover
      Source: Columbus Dispatch Religion Reporters

      Current URL
      http://www.dispatch.com/news/newsfea00/mar00/gays317.html
      Archives URL (found via search):
      http://libpub.dispatch.com/cgi-bin/slwebcli.pl?DBLIST=cd00&DOCNUM=7756&TERMV=259:4:10667:4:31106:3:51592:3:61715:4:87148:3:112900:4:118015:4:153889:3:277481:3:298106:4:308561:4:329076:3:344570:4:390733:4:

      This article looks at United Methodists, Epicopalians, and Presbyterians.

      Some folk from West Ohio Annual Conference are quoted:

      Excerpts:
      Among those opposing changes on the issue is the Rev. Philip Brooks,
      superintendent of the Lima District of the Columbus-based West Ohio
      Conference. Homosexuality is forbidden by Scripture and is contrary to 2,000
      years of Christian tradition, he said.
      <SNIP>
      The issue is seen differently by the Rev. Grayson Atha, pastor of King
      Avenue United Methodist Church on the North Side, who will be attending his
      fourth General Conference as a delegate.

      Atha, whose congregation includes gays, said the Book of Discipline language
      is incongruous.
      <SNIP>
      A third view is held by the Rev. John Edgar, superintendent of the Columbus
      South District, who also will be a delegate. The proposed changes are
      unlikely to be approved, he said, and the conference should focus on other
      matters.

      "We are not going to resolve this by a vote on any one issue," he said. "We
      are a house deeply divided."

      ----------------

      WOMAN FINED, GIVEN PROBATION FOR BURNING OF GAY-PRIDE FLAG
      Date: Wednesday, March 15, 2000
      Section: NEWS
      Page: 03F
      Illustration: Photo
      Byline: Kevin Mayhood
      Source: Dispatch Staff Reporter

      A defiant Toni Peters pleaded guilty yesterday to burning a gay- pride flag
      at the Statehouse, but she declared victory because the so- called rainbow
      flag will never fly there again.
      <SNIP>
      Peters, who has lived in Columbus for two years after moving from Moscow,
      Ohio, said it was her Christian duty to go to the march and speak out
      against homosexuality.

      "I don't hate these people,'' she said. "They need to be saved.''

      -----
      MAN GUILTY OF TEARING DOWN FLAG
      NEWARK PREACHER SAYS HE'LL APPEAL VERDICT
      Date: Thursday, February 17, 2000
      http://libpub.dispatch.com/cgi-bin/slwebcli.pl?DBLIST=cd00&DOCNUM=4284&TERMV=303:3:26097:4:36299:3:36342:3:67329:3:87694:3:
      Section: NEWS
      Page: 01C
      Illustration: Photo
      Byline: Kevin Mayhood
      Source: Columbus Dispatch Staff Reporter

      A Newark preacher who pulled a gay-rights flag from a Statehouse pole was
      found guilty yesterday of criminal damaging, but the jury couldn't reach a
      unanimous verdict on the more serious charge of ethnic intimidation.
      <SNIP>
      While the jury was deliberating, Spingola went into the hallway, pulled two
      dolls from a knapsack and placed them in a sexual position. He propped up a
      sign that read: "the Bible intimidates Sodomites'' and that gay men "have
      committed an abomination.''

      He then took a rock, on which he had written "God's righteous judgment,''
      and smashed the scene.

      When he was given a chance to speak before sentencing, Spingola said
      Christians are the target of ethnic intimidation and hate crimes.

      ----------

      PREACHER TESTIFIES GOD TOLD HIM TO YANK GAY-PRIDE FLAG
      NEWARK MAN TELLS JURORS THAT STATE WAS SANCTIONING SIN
      Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2000
      Section: NEWS
      Page: 04C
      Illustration: Photo
      Byline: Kevin Mayhood
      Source: Dispatch Staff Reporter
      http://libpub.dispatch.com/cgi-bin/slwebcli.pl?DBLIST=cd00&DOCNUM=4015&TERMV=248:3:348:3:21055:3:31288:3:

      A street preacher who has admitted pulling down a gay-pride flag from a
      Statehouse pole told a jury yesterday that he was fulfilling "an assignment
      from God.''
      <SNIP>
      Under cross-examination, City Prosecutor Steve McIntosh tried to show that
      Spingola used parts of the Bible to justify his actions, but ignored other
      parts.

      He asked Spingola whether he knew of Bible passages that say to love your
      neighbor, love your enemy and not to judge others. He asked whether Spingola
      knew the story in which Jesus let those without sin cast the first stone at
      a woman who had committed adultery.

      --------------------

      FLAG TRIAL BEGINS TODAY
      CHARLES SPINGOLA IS CHARGED WITH ETHNIC INTIMIDATION FOR TEARING DOWN A
      GAY-PRIDE SYMBOL.
      Date: Monday, February 7, 2000
      http://libpub.dispatch.com/cgi-bin/slwebcli.pl?DBLIST=cd00&DOCNUM=2995&TERMV=294:3:382:3:5448:3:15814:3:31168:3:31277:3:36402:3:41491:4:46663:3:77358:4:82455:3:82506:3:108385:3:139018:3:
      Section: NEWS
      Page: 01B
      Illustration: Photo
      Byline: Kevin Mayhood
      Source: Columbus Dispatch Staff Reporter

      The rainbow flag, flying legally, drew the ire of the protesters, who said
      they were sickened and angered to see it raised at the seat of Ohio
      government.

      "The flag was put up to show sodomy is OK,'' said the Rev. Charles Mainous,
      pastor of the High Street Baptist Church in Columbus. "Years ago, God
      destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for the same thing. That's one reason
      Christians stand against this wickedness.''

      <SNIP>

      "I take a biblical position,'' Spingola said. "Is that hate? I think it's
      legitimate to hate people who are unrepentant in their crimes.''

      ----

      HATE CRIMES IN OHIO
      Following are stories about the shooting attack on Bill Camelin, 38, and
      Scott Roberts, 43, in Columbus, Ohio in January 2000. Roberts thinks that he
      and his partner of six years were targeted because they were gay. Roberts, a
      graphic artist and photographer, and Camelin, a carpenter, lived together
      in Columbus until this past December. Then Camelin moved home to Chillicothe
      to help care for his parents but he traveled back to Columbus often. Camelin
      is survived by a 17-year- old son, Jan-Michael Chaney; his parents, three
      sisters, and a grandmother.

      ---------------------

      SUPPORT URGED FOR CRIME BILL
      SOUTH SIDE SLAYING
      Date: Thursday, February 10, 2000
      Section: NEWS
      Page: 09C
      Byline: Steve Stephens
      Source: Dispatch Staff Reporter
      http://libpub.dispatch.com/cgi-bin/slwebcli.pl?DBLIST=cd00&DOCNUM=3501&TERMV=345:3:

      Passage of a state hate-crime law could help those grieving for Bill Camelin
      and help deter the kind of crime that took his life, gay-rights leaders said
      at a public meeting last night.
      <SNIP>
      Sgt. Earl Smith of the Columbus police said detectives had few leads.

      He urged those in attendance to call police with any tips or information
      they might have and to distribute fliers with sketches made from Roberts'
      description of his attackers.
      -------------

      SHOOTING PROMPTS HATE-CRIME FORUM
      TWO GAY-RIGHTS GROUPS PUSHING FOR LEGISLATION
      Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2000
      Section: NEWS
      Page: 04B
      Byline: Connie A. Higgins
      Source: Dispatch Staff Reporter
      http://libpub.dispatch.com/cgi-bin/slwebcli.pl?DBLIST=cd00&DOCNUM=2321&TERMV=232:3:269:3:374:3:15775:3:36252:4:41621:3:51891:3:67318:4:

      Excerpt
      Camelin, 38, of Chillicothe, and Roberts, 43, of Columbus, were wounded in
      a shooting Jan. 19 near Whittier Street and Parsons Avenue, police said.
      Camelin died three days later.
      <BIG SNIP>
      "While clearly this is a hate crime, unfortunately, it can never be
      prosecuted as one,'' said Chris Cozad, board president of BRAVO.
      <SNIP>

      My Summary of Incident Taken from Article

      According to Roberts, he and Camelin left a tavern patronized by gays by
      car. Two men in a Chevrolet Malibu pulled alongside them and motioned for
      them to follow. They followed the two men to a side street where they
      stopped. Roberts said the passenger got out of the Malibu, disappeared, and
      then passenger appeared at Roberts' window and said, "What do you want?''
      Roberts said he replied, "Nothing, what do you want?'' Worried that
      something was wrong, Camelin and Roberts decided to drive off. Then five to
      seven shots shattered the rear window of their vehicle. Camelin died three
      days later from a gunshot wound to the back. Roberts was shot in his left
      knee.

      SURVIVOR SAYS FATAL SHOOTING OF HIS PARTNER WAS HATE CRIME
      Date: Wednesday, January 26, 2000
      Section: NEWS
      Page: 05B
      Illustration: Photo
      Byline: Connie A. Higgins
      Source: Dispatch Staff Reporter

      Scott Roberts sat yesterday in his Columbus home, grieving for his partner
      and thinking about how close he came to losing his life.

      <BIG SNIP, including a story of events of the incident already summarized
      above>

      "I asked him, 'Can you drive?' And he gave this sad look and blood gushed
      out his face,'' Roberts said. "When he tried to respond, blood came out of
      his mouth.''
      <SNIP>
      "There were people around,'' he said. "I started screaming for help, but no
      one would help us.''
      <SNIP>

      -----
      MOTHER MOURNS SLAIN SON
      POLICE ARE SEARCHING FOR TWO MEN IN THE SHOOTING OF BILL CAMELIN, 38, WHO
      DIED SATURDAY.
      Date: Monday, January 24, 2000
      Section: NEWS
      Page: 07C
      Byline: Matthew Marx
      Source: Dispatch Staff Reporter

      EXCERPT
      In a telephone interview from her home, Mrs. Camelin described her son and
      asked that any witnesses call police with information about his attackers.

      "I hope I can live to see the day they're caught and they're punished. . . .
      I hope I can see him and their families suffer as much as we have. It is
      just a terrible thing,'' she said.

      Her husband, Carl, 72, has cancer. She has heart trouble. The shooting broke
      their hearts and left them wondering why, she said.
      <SNIP>
      "I just miss him so much I can't hardly think.''