Affirmation Press Release: Marriage Equality Progress

  • Affirmation: United Methodists
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2013

      Marriage Equality Progress

      For Immediate Release, Tuesday December 24, 2013

      By Affirmation: United Methodists Co-spokesperson Tim Tennant-Jayne

      The Affirmation Council wonders at the work of the Holy Spirit in our land.  New Mexico and Utah have seen judicial action open the doors for same gender marriage.  Justice has prevailed as full participation replaces discrimination.  This Christmas season has shown that God’s justice is possible.  Nor does that justice only burst forth in official church settings.  Affirmation calls on all jurisdictions to join the 18 states and the District of Columbia that welcome all to marry.  We long for the day that people in all states and nations will be included in society regardless of gender identity or sexual orientation.

      We continue to call on United Methodists to lead in the cause of justice.  Not only do we work to open our church for all people, but we also work to live in God’s love in all the world.  Affirmation longs for the day that our leaders will stop persecuting and start calling for prophetic change.  Justice is incomplete until all the world lives without fear.

      -30-

      As an independent voice of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer people, Affirmation: United Methodists radically reclaims the compassionate and transforming gospel of Jesus Christ by relentlessly pursuing full inclusion in the Church as we journey with the Spirit in creating God’s beloved community.

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Concerns is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization with no official ties to The United Methodist Church.

      How to Contact Us:
      umaffirmation_at_yahoo.com
      UMAffirmSpokes_at_yahoogroups.com
      (Replace _at_ with @)

      http://www.umaffirm.org
      Facebook:  www.TinyURL.com/UMAffFB

      Past Affirmation press releases are available at:  http://group.yahoo.com/group/UMAffirmation_PressRelease/messages

      To receive our press releases, send a blank email to:  UMAffirmation_PressRelease-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

      To subscribe to our news service, UMCalledOut, send a blank email to:
      UMCalledOut-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com