Affirmation Press Release: Reverend Frank Schaefer Defrocked

  • Affirmation: United Methodists
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2013

      Reverend Frank Schaefer Defrocked

      For Immediate Release, Monday December 23, 2013

      By Affirmation: United Methodists Co-spokesperson Tim Tennant-Jayne

      Affirmation is angered and embarrassed by the actions of Bishop Peggy Johnson, the trial court, and the Board of Ordained Ministry of the Eastern Pennsylvania Annual Conference.  Reverend Frank Schaefer stood up to injustice and discrimination while living out his ordination vows by performing a wedding for his gay son.

      Reverend Schaefer’s treatment is an inevitable consequence of The United Methodist Church’s unjust doctrine around its lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQI) members.  However, it is also inevitable that just people will rise up against power structures that perpetuate injustice.  Now is the time to claim the authority to live out our Christian journeys with integrity.

      The Affirmation Council stands with all who are ready to boldly engage our United Methodist Church’s power structures and demand full inclusion of all people.  Now is the time to claim our power as people who understand that Christmas is about love, not apathy; hope, not fear; joy and openness, not hiding; and peace based in justice, not exclusion.

      -30-

      As an independent voice of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer people, Affirmation: United Methodists radically reclaims the compassionate and transforming gospel of Jesus Christ by relentlessly pursuing full inclusion in the Church as we journey with the Spirit in creating God’s beloved community.

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Concerns is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization with no official ties to The United Methodist Church.

      How to Contact Us:
      umaffirmation_at_yahoo.com
      UMAffirmSpokes_at_yahoogroups.com
      (Replace _at_ with @)

      http://www.umaffirm.org
      Facebook:  www.TinyURL.com/UMAffFB

      Past Affirmation press releases are available at:  http://group.yahoo.com/group/UMAffirmation_PressRelease/messages

      To receive our press releases, send a blank email to:  UMAffirmation_PressRelease-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

      To subscribe to our news service, UMCalledOut, send a blank email to:
      UMCalledOut-subscribe_at_yahoogroups.com