The UMC

  • Affirmation: United Methodists
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 5, 2013

      Hilldale UMC in Clarksville hosting 'Back to School Bully Bustin' Bash'

      Aug. 16, 2013   |
      Written by
      Tim Parrish
      For The Leaf-Chronicle

      Back to School Bully Bustin’ Bash

      CLARKSVILLE, TENN. — During the past two years that Jodi King has been working in Children and Adult Ministries at Hilldale United Methodist Church, she has had on her mind and in her heart the desire to address the serious issue of bullying. Although currently a popular topic, bullying can be traced to the oldest books of the bible.

      http://www.theleafchronicle.com/article/20130816/NEWS01/308160027/Program-seeks-battle-bullying?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

      by Kevin M. Nelson

      August 29, 2013

      Upholding the Discipline

      “Uphold the Discipline” is a phrase that we hear tossed around a lot these days.  Specifically, I hear it asked in the context of the inclusion of LGBT persons within The United Methodist Church, particularly in relation to the marriage equality movement spreading across the UMC—a movement of which I am a proud member.

      Leaders of the Renewal movement want to know, will a bishop “uphold the Discipline” if a clergy member under their charge officiates at the wedding of a couple who are of the same sex?  In episcopal election years, like last year, it’s the episcopal candidates who are asked some version of this question in order to elicit, or not, the answer, “I will uphold the Discipline.”  If a person is a bishop, or aspires to be one, this is a question that must be answered.

      http://um-insight.net/perspectives/upholding-the-discipline/

      RCM: Another clergy member facing church trial

      September 1, 2013 Posted by Jay Voorhees, Executive Editor

      In a commentary on biblical obedience at The Reconciling Ministries Network blog we learn of another clergy member about to face trial for performing a same-sex wedding:

      Rev. Frank Schaefer, elder at Zion United Methodist Church of Iona in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, performed the wedding of his son Tim and his partner over 5 years ago. Out of love for his son and his commitment to the gospel of inclusion for LGBT persons, Schaefer made the decision to lead the ceremony in order to fulfill his calling to the ministry of all people.

      The article goes on to mention a total of four clergy that are facing complaints or charges related to homosexuality issues. Are you aware of other pending actions in your annual conferences related to what RMN calls “biblical obedience”?

      http://www.unitedmethodistreporter.com/2013/09/rcm-another-clergy-member-facing-church-trial/

      September 01, 2013

      Biblical Obedience on trial

      - by Reconciling Ministries Network -

      Rev. Frank Schaefer, elder at Zion United Methodist Church of Iona in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, performed the wedding of his son Tim and his partner over 5 years ago. Out of love for his son and his commitment to the gospel of inclusion for LGBT persons, Schaefer made the decision to lead the ceremony in order to fulfill his calling to the ministry of all people.

      http://www.rmnblog.org/2013/09/biblical-obedience-on-trial.html

      Bishop blesses same-sex couples in their marriages

      September 4, 2013 Posted by Jay Voorhees, Executive Editor

      Chevy Chase, MD — Bishop Melvin G. Talbert, a retired bishop of the United Methodist Church and an outspoken advocate for full inclusion of GLBTQ persons in the life of the church, offered a special blessing for the union of same-sex couples present at the Sunday, September 1, 2013 evening worship service of the Reconciling Ministries Network FaithQuake Convocation. Using the Declaration of Marriage from the marriage ceremony in The United Methodist Book of Worship, Talbert pronounced that those same-sex couples present who had given themselves to one another by solemn vows and the giving and receiving of hands and rings were married in name of the Creator, Redeemer and Sustainer. “Those whom God has joined, ” Talbert proclaimed, “let no one put asunder.”

      http://www.unitedmethodistreporter.com/2013/09/bishop-blesses-same-sex-couples-in-their-marriages/

      It is time to do the right thing

      Retired Bishop Melvin Talbert spoke those words to more than 550 people Sept. 1, during the 2013 Reconciling Ministries Network (RMN) Convocation held at the National 4-H Youth Conference Center in Chevy Chase. RMN’s mission, according to its web site, is to “mobilize United Methodists of all sexual orientations and gender identities to transform our Church and world into the full expression of Christ’s inclusive love.”

      http://www.bwcumc.org/news/call_biblical_obedience#.Uih9FwmtY0w.facebook

    • Affirmation: United Methodists
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2013