Called Out - Is It Still Needed?

  • Affirmation: United Methodists
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2013

      The Called Out editors have a question.

      Does Called Out still serve a useful purpose?

      These days there’s Edge On The Net, Pink News, LGBTQ Nation, and a host of other LBGTQI news sources.  And even though it’s not intended as a news source, how many breaking stories have you heard about because of a post on Facebook?  Or Twitter?

      With so many having smart phones with instant access to these news sources, do you think Called Out adds anything?  Or are we just generating mail box clutter?

      Back when Called Out was started, religious news about our community was hard to come by.  Now it’s everywhere we look.  And you can have it almost as soon as it happens.

      Called Out isn’t our day job, and sometimes stories are two weeks old by the time we send them out.

      About 50% of the time we send out new posts, at least one person will unsubscribe.

      Let us know at umcornet_at_yahoo.com.  (Replace the “_at_” with “@”.)  Is Called Out still relevant?  Useful?  How could it improve?  Does it need to narrow its focus?  Do we need to find an editor without a day job so the articles go out sooner?  Or do we need to just give it a rest, close down the list serve, and start the rather tedious job of printing the thousands of Called Out posts over the years for inclusion in the Affirmation archives?

      Thanks for your input.

      Called Out Editors