Religion In General

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2013

      A Dismayed Democrat Reads the Bible

      Talking to theologian Marcus Borg about biblical errancy, the spiritual body, and the scandal in American Christianity

      By Candace Chellew-Hodge

      Candace Chellew-Hodge is the founder/editor of Whosoever: An Online Magazine for GLBT Christians and currently serves as the pastor of Jubilee! Circle in Columbia, S.C. She is also the author of Bulletproof Faith: A Spiritual Survival Guide for Gay and Lesbian Christians (Jossey-Bass, 2008)

      Marcus Borg has a formidable reputation in the world of Jesus scholarship, but if you ask him to describe himself he’s more likely to say he is “a dismayed Democrat”—the result of years of surveying the militaristic, individualistic attitudes of so many of his fellow American Christians.

      http://www.religiondispatches.org/books/atheologies/6733/a_dismayed_democrat_reads_the_bible_

      First Gay Anglican Bishop Reflects on Tenure in NH

      by Lynne Tuohy

      Associated Press

      Monday Dec 31, 2012

      New Hampshire Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson says he chafed for several years at being branded the first openly gay bishop of the Anglican Church until he realized that he was wasting a pulpit from which he could advocate for equality.

      "I’d been given this really remarkable opportunity and it would be selfish of me not to be the best steward of that opportunity," he recently told The Associated Press in an interview as he prepares to retire in January. "We went from my consecration, which set off this international controversy, to nine years later seeing gay, lesbian and transgender congregants welcome at all levels of the church, including bishop."

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?140216

      Finding Noah’s Flood: A Misconception of Biblical Proportions

      By Brook Wilensky-Lanford

      Brook Wilensky-Lanford is the author of Paradise Lust: Searching for the Garden of Eden (Grove Press, 2011) and an editor of the online literary magazine Killing the Buddha.

      I hate to break it to you, but Noah’s Flood is not a real thing. As geologist David Montgomery wrote in his recent history, The Rocks Don’t Lie: A Geologist Investigates Noah’s Flood, the religious idea that the Flood was real has been important to the actual history of geology as a science. But by now, however, science knows better. I can’t say as much for the media.

      Drumming up attention for Christiane Amanpour’s two-part special “Back to the Beginning," (concluding this evening) of which the search for Noah’s Flood is but a small part, ABC TV’s promotional materials give life to the old myth: “now an acclaimed underwater archaeologist thinks he has found proof that the biblical flood was actually based on real events.”

      http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/culture/6728/finding_noah_s_flood__a_misconception_of_biblical_proportions_

      Five LGBT Religious Advances in 2012

      Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 11:36am by Ross Murray, Director of Religion, Faith and Values at GLAAD

      There was a time, not so long ago, when religion was a unified front against LGBT equality. However, over the years, we have seen that paradigm change. 2012 witnessed religious people and organizations at the forefront of LGBT advancement. This past spring, GLAAD released “Missing Voices” which noted that pro-LGBT religious voices were largely missing in the media, despite significantly increased LGBT inclusion in religious communities. We publically challenged the media to include more pro-LGBT voices of faith. By the end of the year, we saw several religious leaders stepping out and speaking up. The support came from some pretty surprising places. Take a look.

      http://www.glaad.org/blog/five-lgbt-religious-advances-2012

      [Called Out Editors’ Note – We’d say yes to this.  The UMC is certainly not a ‘safe space.’  Some churches are safe spaces, but many are not.  One of us almost walked out of a church home of 18 years when a safe space suddenly became an extremely unsafe and unwelcoming space.]

      Do Gays Need a Church of Their Own Anymore?

      by Rachel Zoll

      Associated Press

      Wednesday Jan 2, 2013

      On that Sunday in 1968 when Troy Perry borrowed a minister’s robe and started a church for gays in his living room, the world was a very different place.

      Perry’s Metropolitan Community Churches was then a lone spiritual refuge for openly gay Christians, an idea so far from the mainstream that the founders were often chased from places where they tried to worship. Four decades later, some of the most historically important American denominations, which had routinely expelled gays and lesbians, are welcoming them instead.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?140242

      Gay Catholic Mass organisers: We’re stopping services because we’re victims of our own success

      by PinkNews.co.uk Staff Writer
      3 January 2013, 6:53pm

      Following reports yesterday that Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols had ruled that masses throughout Soho in central London, designed specifically for gay people must end, the organisers of the masses say that they are ceasing their masses because they are victims of their own success.

      http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/01/03/gay-catholic-mass-organisers-were-stopping-services-because-were-victims-of-our-own-success/