Ashamed to Be a Baptist

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2012

      It’s sad when concentration camp language comes from a pulpit.  It’s even sadder when the congregation shouts encouragement to the pastor.

      You can find the video on YouTube by searching on “Charles Worley”.  It runs for 2:05, and right now has over 1 million views.

      May 22, 2012  3:23PM

      NC Pastor Says Gays Should Be “Penned Up With a Fence”

      Post by Anthea Butler

      The recent vote in North Carolina opposing Same Sex marriage has unleashed a stream of invectives from fundamentalist pastors hoping to one-up each other on their homophobia. None, however, could outdo the most recent contestant to the fray, Pastor Charles Worley, who said that lesbians and gays should be “penned up with a fence, and food dropped down to them. In a couple of years, they would die, because they can’t reproduce.”

      Meanwhile, don't bother to look up the church’s website. Thankfully, the web designer removed the church’s webpage from their servers in retaliation for Worley's hate filled sermon.

      http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/antheabutler/6008/nc_pastor_says_gays_should_be_%E2%80%9Cpenned_up_with_a_fence%E2%80%9D/

      May 25, 2012 9:26AM

      "Tonight I Am Ashamed to be a Baptist"

      Post by Sarah Posner

      Those are the words of Bill Leonard, professor at Wake Forest University Divinity School, writing at the Associated Baptist Press about Pastor Charles Worley's despicable hate sermon about gays and lesbians.

      http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/sarahposner/6014/%22tonight_i_am_ashamed_to_be_a_baptist

      Thursday, May 24, 2012 Can I Get a Witness?

      A Baptist shame

      After years of living through Baptist controversies I determined to address issues -- not individuals -- in public debates. I’ve kept that covenant for two decades. But not tonight.

      By Bill Leonard

      Tonight I am ashamed to be a Baptist. Born into Baptist “cradle role” in the First Baptist Church of Decatur, Texas, and baptized on profession of faith in that congregation when I was 8 years old, I’ve been a born-again Baptist for over five decades.

      I grew up in churches associated with the Southern Baptist Convention, but as a child often went with my grandmother to the Fundamental Baptist Church in Decatur with its neon anchor out front flashing “Jesus Saves” 24/7.

      My grandmother was a grace-filled member of that Independent Baptist congregation that drew a straight line from themselves to Jesus’ baptism in the river Jordan and to 20th century fundamentalism -- inerrant Bible, virgin birth, substitutionary atonement, bodily resurrection and literal second coming.

      http://www.abpnews.com/opinion/item/7444-a-baptist-shame