UMC Post GC: Several Articles

    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2012

      Why the United Methodist Church Canceled Votes on Same-Sex Marriage, Gay Clergy

      by Daniel Burke 05-08-2012 | 6:06am

      United Methodists concluded their General Conference last Friday (May 4) without voting on gay clergy or same-sex marriage, a surprising end to a disappointing week for gay activists.

      Last Thursday, the nearly 1,000 delegates gathered in Tampa, Fla., soundly rejected two motions that would have amended the United Methodist Church's book of doctrine and rules, which calls the practice of homosexuality "incompatible with Christian teaching." After those votes, protesters flooded the convention floor, briefly shutting down the conference.

      Conference planners, evangelical leaders and gay and lesbian advocates met later on Thursday and determined that there was little use in holding additional contentious debates on homosexuality, according to several sources. Proposals to ordain gay clergy and bless same-sex unions held little chance of passing, the parties agreed, and so were pushed to the back of the agenda, essentially assuring that they would not be debated.

      http://sojo.net/blogs/2012/05/08/why-united-methodist-church-canceled-votes-same-sex-marriage-gay-clergy

      Church decides to keep anti-gay policy
      SIDEBAR: Local Methodists not heeding vote, by Kate Sosin
      by Chuck Colbert, Keen News Service
      2012-05-09

      Delegates to the General Conference of the United Methodist Church refused to remove from the denomination's law-book language, which states the church "does not condone the practice of homosexuality" and considers it "incompatible with Christian teaching."

      However, a progressive coalition of pro-LGBT advocates and allies—despite their pain—is pushing for church reform and renewal.

      "We are holding onto hope through resistance," said the Rev. Lois McCullen Parr, pastor of Chicago's Broadway United Methodist Church.

      She was referring to several examples of push back.

      http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/lgbt/Church-decides-to-keep-anti-gay-policy/37630.html

      Queer Methodist Doings

      Becky Garrison: A Gallup poll released on May 20, 2011 states that for the first time a majority (53%) of Americans believes same-sex marriage should be recognized by the law as valid, with the same rights as traditional marriages. Also, an April, 2012 survey by the Pew Research Center showed that for the first time there is as much strong support as strong opposition to gay marriage – 22 percent each.

      Despite this shift toward marriage equality in the broader U.S. culture, during its quadrennial General Conference that ended on May 4, 2012, the United Methodist Church (UMC) voted 39% to 61% against changing long-contested language in the church’s Book of Discipline that calls homosexuality “incompatible with Christian teaching.” In addition, they defeated a petition that would acknowledge that faithful United Methodists disagree on the role of LGBT people in the church.

      http://therevealer.org/archives/11259

      Methodists keep stance against gay marriage

      BY DAVID YONKE
      BLADE RELIGION EDITOR

      While President Obama's support for gay marriage propelled homosexuality onto the front pages this week, local members of the United Methodist Church continue to deal with their denomination's recent decision reaffirming its stance that "the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching."

      United Methodists who favor gay marriage and the ordination of gay clergy spent four years strategizing and organizing for the April 24-May 4 General Conference in Tampa, but the nearly 1,000 delegates who set church policy decided not to revise the Book of Discipline's wording on homosexuality. Delegates also rejected efforts to include statements saying they disagree on the issue.

      The United Methodist Church, with 7.8 million U.S. members, is the largest mainline Protestant body in the United States and the only one that has not endorsed same-sex marriage and the ordination of gay clergy.

      http://www.toledoblade.com/Religion/2012/05/12/Methodists-keep-stance-against-gay-marriage.html

      GC 2012: Looking Back

      May 15, 2012

      Okay, following a surreal April (Korea, a week on the road in-state, two weeks at GC in Tampa) I took a week off to reflect, reconsider, and to hack my way through a rotten chest cold.  Now I am back to review what the heck happened at General Conference — at least from my point of view.

      Anyone who reads my blog knows I wasn’t overly surprised at what happened.  I was a little surprised that Plan UMC went through as easily as it did from the floor, and I made a commitment to work with whatever happened, but there was no surprise or shock when judicial council ruled it out of order. The original three weren’t in order — why should a hybrid of the three be any different. I was one voice among hundreds trying to raise questions and concerns before GC, and they were summarily ignored. This could not have gone another way.

      http://um-insight.net/blogs/dan-r-dick/gc-2012%3A-looking-back/index.html

      Safety in Numbness

      May 2, 2012

      Young people, especially those who support LGBT inclusion, have been routinely dismissed by General Conference delegates.

      Okay, here’s an idea.  We keep paying lip service to our commitment to young leadership and the need to attract and receive more young people into the church.  So, for the remainder of General Conference I propose we take two votes on major issues: first, we take the vote of all delegates 40 years of age and under; second, we take the vote of the remainder of the delegates.  Of course, we would use the combined total for our decisions, but we would have a comparison to see where the heart, soul and mind of our young adults are in relation to the older church (that significantly outnumbers them).

      http://um-insight.net/blogs/dan-r-dick/safety-in-numbness/

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2012

        Again, we apologize.  Post GC exhaustion, major project at our day jobs, family illnesses left us a bit winded.  We’re starting to get our breath back.

        United Methodist Pastor Preaches for Gay Equality Within

        Willow Grove United Methodist Church pastor, the Rev. Cynthia Skripak, discusses her sermon on why the United Methodist Church should allow openly gay clergy and members.

        By Mischa Arnosky

        May 25, 2012

        Earlier this month, during the church service of Willow Grove United Methodist Church, the Rev. Cynthia Skripak stood behind the pulpit and talked about heartbreak.

        http://abington.patch.com/articles/united-methodist-pastor-preaches-for-gay-equality-in-church-d76d822f

        May 3, 2012  1:35PM

        Methodists Vote to Keep Homosexuality “Incompatible”

        Post by Candace Chellew-Hodge

        The United Methodist Church voted today to keep intact its section in the Book of Discipline that call homosexuality "incompatible with Christian teaching" and sanctions only heterosexual marriage. New wording would have removed those passages.

        The vote came after a debate that became contentious when one African delegate compared homosexuality to bestiality and declared that God would not create humans as gay or lesbian.

        During the vote, supporters of the petition to change the Book of Discipline stood at the edges of the convention floor, or the "bar" as the church calls it. As the debate continued, many delegates moved from their seats to join the members on the margins to show their solidarity. In the end the petition failed to pass.

        http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/candacechellew-hodge/5945/methodists_vote_to_keep_homosexuality_%E2%80%9Cincompatible%E2%80%9D

        Methodists Vote to Keep Stand on Homosexuality

        Associated Press

        Friday May 4, 2012

        TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - After an emotional debate, Methodists at a national legislative meeting Thursday upheld the denomination’s policy that same-sex relationships are "incompatible with Christian teaching.’"

        Delegates at the General Conference voted by about 60 percent to 40 percent against softening the language on homosexuality in their Book of Discipline, which contains church laws and doctrine. The meeting is held once every four years, which means the policy won’t come up for a conference vote again until 2016.

        Advocates for gay and lesbian Methodists gathered in the convention hall wearing rainbow stoles and protested the vote by singing and interrupting the meeting. Some cried when the vote tally was announced. Methodist leaders briefly shut down business in response to the protest.

        http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?132678

        GC2012: General Conference Wrap-up

        By Rich Peck*

        May 5, 2012 | TAMPA, Fla. (UMNS)

        United Methodists from five continents addressed a wide range of challenging issues, including church structure and human sexuality, and engaged in an Act of Repentance toward indigenous people during their 10-day legislative gathering.

        Meeting in the Tampa Convention Center, steps away from the waters of Tampa Bay, the 988 delegates recalled through worship, song and sermon the healing and transforming ministry of Jesus beside the Sea of Galilee.

        http://www.umc.org/site/apps/nlnet/content3.aspx?c=lwL4KnN1LtH&b=8057055&ct=11742349

        General Conference ignores Wesley’s “do no harm” rule

        May 7, 2012

        “The derogatory rules and restrictions in the Book of Discipline are immoral and unjust and no longer deserve our loyalty and obedience. Thus the time has come for those of us who are faithful to the Gospel of Jesus Christ to do what is required of us….The time has come to join in an act of Biblical obedience. I call on the more than 1,100 clergy [who have signed marriage initiatives] to stand firm in their resolve to perform marriages for same-sex couples and to do so in the course of their normal pastoral duties, thus defying the laws that prohibit them from doing so….The time for talking is over. It’s time for us to act in defiance of unjust words of immoral and derogatory discrimination and laws that are doing harm to our GLBT sisters and brothers.”

        http://www.mindny.org/2012/05/general-conference/?utm_source=Methodists+in+New+Directions+List&utm_campaign=4a9f02bfd9-News_from_MIND5_7_2012&utm_medium=email

        Wrong, Stupid and Evil — the United Methodist Position on Homosexuality

        May 8, 2012

        I’m not exactly sure why I hoped that General Conference would have a change of heart this year and, after ten times getting it wrong, finally come around to the Jesus side on the issue of homosexuality in the church. After all, every four years since 1972 without exception we’ve heard the same refrain from our elected denominational leaders — “homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching.”

        So why did I get my hopes up and think this year might be different?

        For one thing, it’s clear our country and culture have come a long way in 40 years.

        http://blog.firstchurchseattle.org/wrong-stupid-and-evil-the-united-methodist-position-on-homosexuality/

        Amid division, only one view can hold us together

        By the Rev. Rob Renfroe

        United Methodists have reaffirmed 2000 years of Christian teaching regarding sexuality.  This is the same view held by the most rapidly growing parts of the church today.  And it is the only view that will hold The United Methodist Church together.

        Our view on sexuality is a compassionate, biblical and beautifully nuanced statement.  It affirms the worth of every person, declares sexuality to be a gracious gift of God, protects the rights of those who might be mistreated because of their sexuality, and states what the Bible affirms – not all sexual practices, heterosexual or homosexual, are acceptable in the sight of God.

        Unfortunately, this view doesn’t fare well in an overly sexualized, decadent Western culture that prizes individual happiness and cares little for biblical holiness.  Our society teaches us from the youngest of ages that sex is our right, that an active sex life is essential for being a whole and healthy person, and that the Bible is unable to speak to our modern way of life.

        http://www.gc2012conversations.com/2012/05/09/amid-division-only-one-view-can-hold-us-together/

        Conference stirs heartache, hope for future

        By the Rev. Gil Caldwell*

        At the end of the closing worship service at General Conference 2012, these words from one of the songs jumped out at me: “All of us have sailed on the rivers of heartache.”

        I believe that many if not all of the delegates left the General Conference with “heartache” because of their concern for someone else, or because of their own inner pain resulting from disappointment because of their sense of incompleteness regarding what had transpired in Tampa, Fla.

        I “attended” General Conference, even though I remained in my home in Asbury Park, N.J. Thanks to United Methodist Communications/United Methodist News Service, I had my first experience of live streaming, and through the screen of my laptop computer, I was present for all of the plenary sessions.

        http://www.gc2012conversations.com/2012/05/09/conference-stirs-heartache-hope-for-future/

        A Post-Mortem on GC 2012

        Robert Hoshibata is Bishop of the Portland Area of The United Methodist Church and presides over the Oregon-Idaho Annual Conference.

        This is my post mortem for General Conference 2012. I had to take a week to let everything settle in my soul. Kind of like a mourning period, I guess. There are many thoughts swirling in my head and heart. I may write several blog entries. But for now, here’s my thinking:

        http://www.umoi.org/blogs/detail/115

        Living the Connection: let’s deal with our woundedness

        May 15th, 2012

        Bishop Minerva G. Carcaño is resident bishop of the Phoenix area of The United Methodist Church and provides leadership to The Desert Southwest Conference.

        On the last day of General Conference 2012 I went by the information booth. I was on my way to my last official responsibility and I wanted to make sure I knew where I needed to go. Our wonderfully kind United Methodist volunteers from the Florida Conference were there serving us all with their smiles and extraordinary hospitality.

        http://desertconnection.org/2012/05/15/living-the-connection-lets-deal-with-our-woundedness/