Biblical and Inclusive: Methodism Wrestles with Homosexuality

    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2012

      Morgan Guyton

      Biblical and Inclusive: Methodism Wrestles with Homosexuality

      May 1, 2012

      Advocates of changing the UMC's stances against homosexuality protest the retention of the church's 40-year-old stances.

      “No scripture can mean that God is not love and that His mercy is not over all His works.” This statement, from John Wesley’s sermon “Free Grace,” forms the foundation for how many United Methodist pastors like me were trained to interpret the Bible. We are burdened with understanding and explaining how God’s mercy and love are at stake in everything He tells us to do in the Bible. Methodists who follow our Wesleyan heritage cannot say with Dan Savage that “parts of the Bible are bullshit,” but neither can we settle for shallow, decontextualized applications of scripture that aren’t understood and appropriated as expressions of God’s mercy. Sadly, the debate over homosexuality at the United Methodist General Conference has devolved into a shouting match of sound-bytes rather than thoughtful conversation about Biblical interpretation. The question that no one seems to accept the challenge of answering is how the prohibition of homosexuality expresses God’s love and mercy.

      The rest of the article is here:

      http://um-insight.net/blogs/morgan-guyton/biblical-and-inclusive/