Civil Rights: Several Articles

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2012

      Not So Nobel: Peace Prize-Winning President of Liberia Supports Homophobia

      by Jason St. Amand

      Web Producer / Staff Writer

      Tuesday Mar 20, 2012

      Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Liberia’s president and a Nobel Peace Prize winner, said that she supports a law that can put homosexuals in prison for a year, the U.K. newspaper the Guardian reported.

      "We like ourselves just the way we are. We’ve got certain traditional values in our society that we would like to preserve," she told the newspaper.

      Liberia is located in West Africa and bordered by Sierra Leone and Guinea.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?131099

      High Court Won’t Hear Appeal by Christian Groups

      by Elliot Spagat

      Associated Press

      Tuesday Mar 20, 2012

      SAN DIEGO (AP) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday refused to consider a request by Christian groups on a college campus to allow them to limit membership based on religious beliefs.

      Justice turned back a legal effort by a Christian fraternity and sorority at San Diego State University that challenged an anti-discrimination policy at California state universities.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?131100

      Equality Riders Visit Anti-LGBT Christian Colleges

      by Megan Barnes

      EDGE Contributor

      Tuesday Mar 20, 2012

      Seventeen young activists hit the road from Philadelphia on March 4 for a two-month national bus tour visiting colleges that openly discriminate against LGBT students.

      The Soulforce Equality Riders made their first stop in Atlanta on March 6, where they were locked out of Carver College, a Bible college that expels students in same-sex relationships. The ride will end in San Francisco on May 2.

      "We really just want to target oppression where it starts, where the base is, and we believe that the root is visiting these institutions in our country," said J. Mason, 27, who co-directs the Soulforce Equality Ride.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?131123

      Attorney General: Justice Department Committed to Protecting Gays, Lesbians

      by Danny Robbins

      Associated Press

      Wednesday Mar 21, 2012

      ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) - The Justice Department is "committed to using every tool in its arsenal" to combat bullying and harassment based on sexual orientation and has already made strides in bringing more prosecutions in that area, Attorney General Eric Holder said Tuesday.

      "I’m proud to say this Department of Justice has never been more committed to this (issue)," Holder said, touting the department’s efforts during a speech at a conference at the University of Texas at Arlington aimed at promoting safe schools and communities for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender individuals.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?131139

      Uganda’s Gays See Progress in Public Opinion War

      by Rodney Muhumuza

      Associated Press

      Wednesday Mar 21, 2012

      KAMPALA, Uganda (AP) - Four years ago Frank Mugisha begged his colleagues to join him for his first demonstration in support of gay rights in Uganda. Only four came along.

      This week, during a march against gender-based violence led by the gay advocacy group Sexual Minorities Uganda, the Ugandan activist saw more than 30 colleagues walk the streets of Kampala holding pro-gay posters.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?131138

      Focus on the Family’s Biblical Counter Fights GLSEN Day of Silence

      by Jason St. Amand

      Web Producer / Staff Writer

      Wednesday Mar 21, 2012

      The evangelical Christian group Focus on the Family will once again hold its Day of Dialogue event in order to oppose the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network’s (GLSEN) annual Day of Silence -- a day where students protest bullying against the LGBT community by taking a day-long vow of silence.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?131161

      Malaysian MP calls for ‘gay rehab’

      by Stephen Gray
      22 March 2012, 11:06am

      A Malaysian MP who described ‘scary’ levels of homosexuality in his country has called for the government to open a gay ‘rehabilitation’ centre.

      http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/22/malaysian-mp-calls-for-gay-rehab/

      Chile: Lesbian judge whose sexuality ‘put daughters at risk’ wins legal battle

      by Stephen Gray
      23 March 2012, 5:52pm

      A gay judge has won a custody case against the Chilean courts which had taken away her three daughters in 2004 believing her sexuality to put their development ‘at risk’.

      http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/23/chile-lesbian-judge-whose-sexuality-put-daughters-at-risk-wins-legal-battle/

      Video: Ban Ki-moon’s gay and trans rights speech remixed

      by Stephen Gray
      23 March 2012, 2:40pm

      The speech made by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon at the UN Human Rights Council discussion on gay and transgender protections earlier this month has been given a remix by AllOut.org.

      http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/23/video-ban-ki-moons-un-human-rights-speech-remixed/

      India’s attorney-general blames Victorian Britain for anti-gay laws

      by Balaji Ravichandran
      24 March 2012, 9:28pm

      In an apparent change of heart from the position it adopted three years ago, the Indian government has said that homosexuality was tolerated in pre-colonial India, and it was only the British who imposed their Victorian values of morality on what was a largely liberal land.

      http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/24/indias-attorney-general-blames-victorian-britain-for-anti-gay-laws/

      Slovenians Reject Gay Adoption Law in Referendum

      by Ali Zerdin

      Associated Press

      Sunday Mar 25, 2012

      LJUBLJANA, Slovenia (AP) - Slovenians rejected in a national referendum on Sunday a new family law that included a highly contested clause that would allow same-sex couples to adopt children in some cases.

      The law drafted by Slovenia’s parliament - and opposed by conservatives close to the Catholic Church - would have allowed gay couples to adopt the biological children of their partners. It did not allow the adoption of children from a third party.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?131289

      Same-Sex Couples Could File Joint Customs Declarations Under New Proposal

      by Michael K. Lavers

      National News Editor

      Monday Mar 26, 2012

      Key West, Fla., realtors Rudy Molinet and Harry Hoehn filled out a joint Customs declaration form to use to re-enter the country after their vacation on the French Riviera last fall. The couple who has been together for 19 years and married in Canada in 2003 presented the document to a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol agent at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston.

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?131332

      Alaskan anti-discrimination ordinance could be passed in April

      by Christopher Brocklebank
      27 March 2012, 9:07am

      An ordinance banning discrimination against LGBT people in Anchorage, Alaska, could be passed on an upcoming municipal ballot in April.

      http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/27/alaskan-anti-discrimination-ordinance-could-be-passed-in-april/