Discrimination against same-sex marriages cannot be tolerated in our society as a matter of law

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2011
      Discrimination against same-sex marriages cannot be tolerated in our society
      as a matter of law
      Star-Ledger Guest Columnist
      By Robert Menendez

      Since my vote in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act 15 years ago, like
      tens of millions of Americans, I have reflected deeply and frequently about
      this issue. During this time, I have engaged in discussions about the issue
      of marriage equality with friends, family members, colleagues and of course,
      the people I serve in New Jersey. I have heard and listened to many
      different views.

      But for me, this comes down to an issue of fundamental fairness. For me,
      this comes down to the principles I learned as the child of immigrants and
      that I cherish as an American: that we believe in equality for all people
      under the law.

      So today, I am announcing my support for the Respect for Marriage Act, which
      repeals DOMA and ensures that all lawfully married couples - including
      same-sex couples - receive the benefits of marriage under federal law.

      The rest of the article is here:
      http://mobile.nj.com/advnj/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=eScXYpVn&full=true#display