AP: Study looks at experiences of gay Mormons

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2011
      Study looks at experiences of gay Mormons

      By JENNIFER DOBNER, Associated Press

      SALT LAKE CITY (AP) - Evan Clayson came out as gay to his Mormon
      congregation from the pulpit in Houston earlier this year.

      "I was asked to talk about how the Holy Ghost can be a comforter," the
      24-year-old software developer said. "I talked about relying on the Holy
      Ghost to boost my self-esteem ... It got a positive reaction. I had a couple
      of members give me hugs."

      But like many gay Mormons, Clayson wasn't always so open, given the church's
      stance on homosexuality.

      Like many faiths, Mormonism teaches that any sexual relationship outside of
      traditional marriage is a sin, and in the past, the church preached that
      homosexual feelings, alone, were a sin. One faith leader last year even
      suggested gays could change their sexual orientation through prayer.

      The rest of the article is here:
      http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gFpwxRYXU6BKcEhkV07clYdIGIQQ?docId=106b062d6ecb4d57bf6be55f682cd760