My Take: Bible condemns a lot, so why focus on homosexuality?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 21, 2011
      My Take: Bible condemns a lot, so why focus on homosexuality?
      Editor's Note: Jonathan Dudley is the author of Broken Words: The Abuse of
      Science and Faith in American Politics.
      By Jonathan Dudley, Special to CNN

      Growing up in the evangelical community, I learned the Bible's stance on
      homosexuality is clear-cut. God condemns it, I was taught, and those who
      disagree just haven't read their Bibles closely enough.

      Having recently graduated from Yale Divinity School, I can say that my
      childhood community's approach to gay rights-though well intentioned-is
      riddled with self-serving double standards.

      I don't doubt that the one New Testament author who wrote on the subject of
      male-male intercourse thought it a sin. In Romans 1, the only passage in the
      Bible where a reason is explicitly given for opposing same-sex relations,
      the Apostle Paul calls them "unnatural."

      Problem is, Paul's only other moral argument from nature is the following:
      "Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair, it is
      degrading to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory?" (1
      Corinthians 11:14-15).

      The rest of the article is here:
      http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/21/my-take-bible-condemns-a-lot-so-why-focus-on-homosexuality/