RD: "I 'Came Out' For Marriage Equality": An Anti-Gay Activist Changes His Mind

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2011
      Interview
      May 25, 2011
      “I ‘Came Out’ For Marriage Equality”: An Anti-Gay Activist Changes His Mind
      By Welton Gaddy

      Rev. Dr. Welton Gaddy leads the national nonpartisan grassroots and
      educational organizations The Interfaith Alliance and The Interfaith
      Alliance Foundation and serves as the Pastor for Preaching and Worship at
      Northminster (Baptist) Church in Monroe, Louisiana. Rev. Gaddy is the host
      of State of Belief, a weekly radio show.

      [Note: The following rush transcript may not be a perfect reproduction of
      the above audio —ed.]
      [Called Out Editor: The web page has a link to the audio which runs about
      20 minutes.]

      One of the most frustrating things about today’s political rhetoric is the
      entrenched nature of those who argue any side of an issue. Political leaders
      and the media provide a bounty of messages to support a position, and it is
      profoundly easy to consume only opinions one already agrees with.

      There are times that it feels as if we are at a permanent stalemate
      regarding some of the biggest issues facing our society and our nation.

      That is precisely why I was fascinated to read, early last month, that a
      respected, successful strategist and activist for a prominent issue dared to
      grapple with his own conscience and, despite a good deal of fear and
      concern, publicly distance himself from the work he had been doing.

      The activist is Louis J. Marinelli, and the issue is marriage equality.

      In the summer of 2010, it was impossible not to see headlines about the
      Summer of Marriage Tour, as powerful messages opposing same-gender marriage
      proliferated online and with a physical traveling bus tour.

      When so much of today’s activism is spoken of in terms of war and battle,
      with a faceless enemy determined to destroy all that’s good, how does one
      come to see opponents as individual human beings, people of value and worth,
      deserving of respect and consideration, of empathy and even support?

      The entire article and a link to the interview audio is here:
      http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/sexandgender/4665/