On gay rights, keep fighting or adapt?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 19, 2011
      On gay rights, keep fighting or adapt?
      By Tom Krattenmaker

      You get the sense, observing the shifting cultural landscape, that we've
      reached a point on gay rights that is similar to that moment in a football
      game, or an election, or a relationship, when you know it's over even though
      it's not over.

      It appears increasingly obvious that social acceptance of gay men and
      lesbians and insistence on their equal rights are inexorable. If the repeal
      of "don't ask, don't tell" weren't enough to signal the turning point, or
      the classification of several gay-resisting Christian right organizations as
      "hate groups" by the Southern Poverty Law Center, there came news that
      Exodus International was ending its involvement in the anti-homosexuality
      "Day of Truth" in U.S. high schools. "We need to equip kids to live out
      biblical tolerance and grace," Exodus President Alan Chambers explained,
      "while treating their neighbors as they'd like to be treated, whether we
      agree with them or not."

      Add it up, and you see a decision point at hand for socially conservative
      Christian groups such as the Family Research Council that have led
      resistance to gay rights. Do they fight to the last ditch, continue shouting
      the anti-gay rhetoric that rings false and mean to the many Americans who
      live and work with gay people, or who themselves are gay? Or do they soften
      their tone and turn their attention to other fronts?

      Prayerful discernment and simple Christian decency would strongly suggest
      the latter. The alternative looks worse by the day - a quixotic battle more
      likely to discredit its fighters and their fine religion than win any hearts
      and minds for Jesus. Christianity has far worthier causes than this.

      The rest of the article is here:
      http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2011-02-14-column14_ST_N.htm