Retired UM Bishops Make Statement

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2011
      A Statement of Counsel to the Church - 2011
      Out of concern for the welfare of all God’s people, and, out of special
      concern for the people of The United Methodist Church, we, United Methodist
      Bishops – retired, believe The United Methodist Church should remove the
      following statement from The Book of Discipline (2008):

      “…The practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching.
      Therefore self-avowed practicing homosexuals are not to be certified as
      candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United
      Methodist Church.”  ¶304.3

      Our lives and ministries over the years have included prayerful, thoughtful
      consideration of our Holy Bible, our Wesleyan heritage, reflection on our
      experience of the church and world, and our conviction of God’s intention
      for a world transformed.

      With this statement of conviction and counsel we seek:
      • To affirm that the historic tests of “gifts and evidence of God’s grace”
      for ordained ministry override any past or present temporal restrictions
      such as race, gender, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.
      • To urge the Church, ecumenical and denominational, to change the manner in
      which it relates to gay, lesbian and transgendered persons in official
      statements, judicial proceedings, and in congregational life.
      • To declare our conviction that the current disciplinary position of The
      United Methodist Church, a part of our historical development, need not, and
      should not, be embraced as the faithful position for the future.
      • To make known our names and shared personal conviction on this matter and
      to encourage other church and Episcopal leaders to do the same.

      The rest of the article is here:
      http://www.rmnetwork.org/counsel-statement-to-church/