SUPPORTERS OF REV. JIMMY CREECH PREPARE FOR CHURCH TRIAL

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 1999
      SUPPORTERS OF REV. JIMMY CREECH PREPARE FOR CHURCH TRIAL

      Creech on trial for performing a holy union ceremony, supporters believe
      that gays and lesbians have the inherent right to join together in a
      covenant relationship with one another and with God

      ** MEDIA ADVISORY **
      October 31, 1999 For Immediate Release
      Contact: Larry Ellis 919-846-9409

      Raleigh, NC - All over the United States, people are
      making preparations to head to Nebraska to show their
      support for The Reverend Jimmy Creech. Rev. Creech will
      face his second trial in The United Methodist Church on
      November 17 and 18, 1999, at Trinity United Methodist
      Church, in Grand Island, Nebraska. He has been charged
      with violating the Order and Discipline of The United
      Methodist Church for performing a holy union for Larry
      Ellis and James Raymer.

      Larry and Jim are among the people making preparations
      to attend the trial. "In many respects, we are like any other
      couple. We met by chance, became acquainted, fell in love
      and decided 'this is the person I want to spend my life
      with.' Since we are both very spiritual individuals, it
      seemed only natural that we would seek God's blessing in a
      formal ceremony before our family, friends and church,"
      wrote Larry and Jim. "What we did not realize was that it
      was also the beginning of a controversy."

      Although Larry and Jim will be attending the trial to show
      their love and support for Rev. Creech, they will not be
      testifying on his behalf. Rev. Creech stated, "I do not want
      the sacredness of their relationship to be vulnerable to
      attack by The United Methodist Church by putting them on
      the witness stand. However, they will be willing to speak to
      the press about their lives, their love, and their
      commitment to one another.

      Supporters from The Methodist Federation for Social
      Action, In All Things Charity, Affirmation, and
      Reconciling Congregations will also be present to show
      their commitment to the belief that gays and lesbians have
      the inherent right to join together in a covenant
      relationship with one another and with God. The Reverend
      Greg Dell, who in March of this year was found guilty of
      the charge of disobedience to the Order and Disciple of
      the United Methodist Church for conducting a holy union
      for two men in September of 1998, will also be attending
      the Creech trial.

      # # #

      (press release written and circulated by Laura Montgomery Rutt,
      Media, Publicity, and Logistics Coordinator for Rev. Jimmy Creech)