AP: Judge hears federal worker's spousal benefits case

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20, 2010

      Judge hears federal worker’s spousal benefits case

      by Lisa Leff

      Associated Press

      Monday Dec 20, 2010

      Lawyer Karen Golinski has spent the past 19 years working for a federal appeals court based in San Francisco.

      So finding herself seated in court Friday as the plaintiff in a lawsuit seeking health insurance coverage for her same-sex partner was disturbing and strange, she said.

      "I never thought I’d be in this position," Golinski said. "I certainly never expected the government to throw their full weight behind hurting my family."

      Golinski, 48, is suing the Office of Personnel Management and its openly gay director, John Berry, over its refusal to authorize the coverage.

      The rest of the article is here:

      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?114317