First reports on the White/Falwell Meeting

  • Called Out
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 1999
      October 24, 1999

      Here is initial coverage of the meeting between the followers of the
      Revs. Mel White and Jerry Falwell.

      First, from the Lynchburg (VA) News & Advance, is "Falwell, White open
      dialogue on acceptance," available at
      http://www.newsadvance.com/newsitems/news4.htm Both men made various
      promises about ways in which they would work together.

      For instance, at their joint press conference, Falwell said he would
      monitor for anti-Gay statements messages which go out over his name.
      White, in turn, "said he would do the same, adding we would send his
      letters to Falwell for review before posting them."

      The News & Advance quotes one person present as observing when, at one
      point, Falwell compared people who are GLBT to alcoholics and drug
      addicts, as saying "I�m hearing things from the Rev. Falwell ... that I
      consider close to spiritual violence."

      The need for genuine, heart-felt dialogue between those with different
      theologies was pointed up when "White defined hate speech as anything
      that leads to anger, fear or violence. He said messages from the
      Religious Right have led to suffering and death in the gay community.

      "Falwell disagreed, saying nothing he or the major leaders of the
      Religious Right have said or written, has resulted in violence. But
      Falwell said something must be done to stop escalating violence against both
      gays and Evangelical Christians."

      "Mutual Apology for Hateful Speech: Christian Right Leader Falwell, Gay
      Rights Activist Talk Tolerance", the Washington (DC) Post article at
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1999-10/24/241l-102499-idx.html
      mentions that the shared meal which was supposed to be the centerpiece of
      the event did not actually take place.

      According to the Post, "Falwell, reprimanded by some evangelicals who
      believe the Bible prohibits Christians from sharing a meal with
      'sexually immoral' people, decided not to serve any food, only small
      bottles of Poland Spring water."

      Aniticipate further reports on the Lynchburg events. Rev. White's
      visiting particpants are expected to attend services today at the Thomas
      Road Baptist Church.

      Breaking coverage to note: On NBC's Sunday "Today" program, at
      approximately 8:10 AM today, both men were being interviewed live from
      Lynchburg.

      Rev. Falwell described White as "the titular leader of America's Gays."

      Minutes later, White said that Falwell did not recognize that "We have
      experienced as much hate violence since we've been here as ever."

      "It's not possible for believers to go past what the Scripture says" was
      Falwell's response.

      Note that these quotes are accurate, since this posting was written as
      they were speaking.

      -- Posted by Called Out moderator