Mormon Leader: 'I'm Sorry' For Hurtful Legacy of Prop. 8

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2010
      Mormon Leader: 'I'm Sorry' For Hurtful Legacy of Prop. 8
      By Joanna Brooks

      Joanna Brooks grew up in a conservative Mormon home in the orange groves of
      Orange County, California. Now, she's an award winning American religion
      scholar and writer.

      It was, according to those who witnessed it, a historic event for LGBT
      Mormons and their allies.

      On the morning of Sunday, September 19, about ninety members of the
      Oakland, California stake (diocese) of the Church of Jesus Christ of
      Latter-day Saints met with Elder Marlin K. Jensen, the Church's historian
      and a prominent member of the General Authorities, the ranking hierarchy of
      Mormon leaders.

      Stake President Dean Criddle had invited Jensen to the special
      meeting, advising him that many Mormon families in the area continued to
      feel hurt by the Church's deep involvement in the Proposition 8 campaign. He
      hoped that Elder Jensen would be willing to hear their stories. Elder Jensen
      agreed.

      During the one-hour meeting, thirteen gay and straight Mormons came to
      the microphone. Many expressed their love for the faith, as well as the
      profound pain caused by LDS Church actions towards gays and lesbians. Gay
      Mormons recalled years of prayer and fasting, attempted heterosexual
      marriages promising to "cure" them, and Church-prescribed aversion therapy.
      Gay and straight Mormons spoke of how their families and neighborhoods had
      been divided by the Yes on 8 campaign. And some expressed their anger over
      the Church's leading role in a political campaign that gave California and
      the Mormon community a "license to hate" homosexuals.

      The rest of the article is here:
      http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/sexandgender/3437/mormon_leader%3A_%E2%80%98i%E2%80%99m_sorry%E2%80%99_for_hurtful_legacy_of_prop._8