Foundry UMC allows same-six marriages

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2010
      Foundry UMC allows same-sex marriages

      WASHINGTON (UMNS) - Members of Foundry United Methodist Church voted 367 to
      8 on Sept. 26 to allow same-gender marriages to be performed in its
      building. Foundry is among many congregations in Washington, D.C., that have
      been discussing same-sex marriages since the city passed the Marriage
      Equality Act last March.

      The Book of Discipline, the denomination's rulebook, says it is a chargeable
      offense for a clergyperson to conduct a holy union or marriage for gays and
      lesbians. Following Foundry's vote, Washington Area John R. Schol released a
      statement to clergy and lay leaders in the Baltimore-Washington Annual
      (regional) Conference. "In the midst of these difficult matters of the
      church," he wrote, "I will do all I can to be fair and compassionate as I
      work to maintain the unity and witness of the church." But as a bishop, he
      noted, he is responsible for upholding church law and "will process and
      follow through with any complaint or charge against a United Methodist
      clergyperson of the Baltimore-Washington Conference who performs a same
      gender wedding or holy union." More information is available at the website
      of
      <http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?a=beJIISNsFdJNJ6K&=fkLZIiOSJcJTLaPULwG&m=ahLMIVMwEfLQK7K> Foundry United Methodist Church.