Ugandan Anti-gay Violence

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2010
      All:

      Be aware that there are unsettling aspects to this story.

      Ugandan Gay Activist Found Beheaded
      by Kilian Melloy
      Tuesday Jul 6, 2010

      Uganda has been in the headlines ever since a lawmaker there last year
      proposed legislation that would punish some gays with the death penalty. But it would seem that some in Uganda are not waiting for the bill to pass into law: a priest has vanished after delivering a sermon urging compassion for gays, and a young GLBT equality activist, who had also disappeared, has been discovered dead--his head severed from his body and thrown down a latrine.

      The dismembered head of Pasikali Kashusbe, who, together with his
      partner--referred to only as "Abbey"--worked with GLBT equality group
      Integrity Uganda, was found in a latrine on a farm that reportedly belongs to the chairman of the country's electoral commission, Badru Kiggundu, reported Box Turtle Bulletin on July 5. The grisly discovery was made as searchers looked for some trace of Rev. Henry Kayizzi Nsubuga, an Anglican priest who had vanished after delivering a sermon supportive of GLBTs. Kashusbe had reportedly been a worker at the farm.

      One or more suspects had been arrested before the head's discovery,
      according to a news report that has subsequently been posted at YouTube. The report noted that "blood stained clothing" was discovered along with the head.

      The rest of the story is here:
      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?107653

      July 6, 2010 1:13PM
      Updated: Gay Activist Beheaded in Uganda...
      Is it a Hoax?
      Post by Candace Chellew-Hodge

      Update: Box Turtle Bulletin is now reporting that despite several different sources on this story, it may well not be true. Yes, a young man was murdered, but his connection to Integrity Uganda is now being questioned.

      Sources in the U.S. and Uganda now tell me that the young man in question was not connected with Integrity Uganda, and that Bishop Christopher Senyonjo did not make the statement attributed to him by Changing Attitudes. I am still looking for more information and will provide updates as soon as I have them.

      Whether the man was involved in gay activism in Uganda or not, this is still a terrible crime. The fact remains, however, that the lives of gay and lesbian Ugandans are in danger every single day - and if the anti-homosexuality measure passes, I fear we'll be telling many stories of gay people being killed - but by the government that should be protecting them.

      As Uganda's Anti-Homosexuality bill continues to languish before the
      legislature, it appears that some people are not waiting for a law
      legalizing the killing of gays to take effect before they act. The severed head of a man working with a pro-gay organization in Uganda has been discovered in a latrine.

      The rest of the story is here:
      http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/candacechellew-hodge/2918/updat
      ed%3A_gay_activist_beheaded_in_uganda..._is_it_a_hoax

      July 7, 2010 3:44PM
      Hoax Underscores Urgency for LGBT People in Uganda
      Post by Candace Chellew-Hodge

      Reports that the man whose head was found in a latrine in Uganda worked for a pro-gay group in the country have proven to be false. Integrity USA, a group representing LGBT Episcopalians, has confirmed that the dead man, Pasikali Kashusbe, was not associated with Integrity Uganda.

      Bishop Christopher Senyonjo-recently returned from his seven-week speaking tour of the United States and Ireland-today issued a public statement on recent reports that the headless body of an Integrity Uganda member had been found in Uganda.

      "I have never worked with anyone who goes by the name Pasikali in my
      organization. I also did not make any comments as quoted in earlier
      statements made by Rev. Erich Kasirye. Rev. Erich Kasirye no longer has any legitimate connection to Integrity Uganda.

      Rev. Kasirye appeared as a source in the original story, but he was
      apparently kicked out of Integrity Uganda in 2004 for fraudulent activity according to Bishop Senyonjo. Jim Burroway at Box Turtle Bulletin believes Kasirye may be involved in the hoax.

      Some believe that the story was planted by Kasirye to discredit the Ugandan LGBT community, foreign bloggers, and Integrity Uganda specifically when the story is inevitably revealed to be a fraud. Other possibilities include Kasirye's using this story for another run at fraudulent fundraising. At any rate, it's hard not to imagine the source of the story somehow tracing itself back to Kasirye himself in some form or fashion.

      The rest of the story is here:
      http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/candacechellew-hodge/2930/hoax_underscores_urgency_for_lgbt_people_in_uganda/

      Integrity Press Release:
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      July 7, 2010

      Bishop Christopher Senyonjo--recently returned from his seven-week speaking tour of the United States and Ireland-today issued a public statement on recent reports that the headless body of an Integrity Uganda member had been found in Uganda.

      "I have never worked with anyone who goes by the name Pasikali in my
      organization. I also did not make any comments as quoted in earlier
      statements made by Rev. Erich Kasirye. Rev. Erich Kasirye no longer has any legitimate connection to Integrity Uganda and the e-mail address integrityuganda@... is no longer available as a link to the leadership of Integrity Uganda."

      The Rev. Canon Albert Ogle, Integrity USA's Vice President for National and International Affairs added, "This story is a wakeup call for all of us to ensure that something like it will never actually happen. The climate of fear and intimidation created by the Bahati Bill by external organizations like Exodus International and religious leadership in Uganda has increased the potential for violence against the LGBT community and their families. As
      we all painfully learned in Rwanda, the dehumanizing of one part of the population occurred over years of scapegoating long before the genocide occurred. Religious leaders were unfortunately part of a conspiracy of misinformation that created the crucible of hatred that gave license to destroy innocent human beings on a mass scale. We cannot allow the rhetoric of misinformation and misinterpretation of Holy Scriptures to justify hatred and fear towards our fellow human beings. The genocide begins when we hear of human slaughter and not only do nothing about but may secretly feel it is somehow deserved. By then, we are already on the slippery slope. Jesus warned us to pay attention to what is going on in our hearts and our intentions as if they are reality. Although this story was imagined, it is a wake-up call to the climate that we have all somehow created and all have a
      responsibility to repair."

      Ogle concluded, "One thing I have learned from this unfortunate incident is there is an urgent need to provide our Ugandan brothers and sisters with adequate technology and communications systems so stories like this can be more quickly verified and appropriate action taken. I encourage everyone to assist us in these efforts by contributing to Integrity USA's Hopkins Fund."

      Online donations to the Hopkins Fund can be made at
      https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=30549. Checks can be mailed to Integrity USA, 620 Park Avenue #311, Rochester NY 14607.

      Press contact:
      Louise Brooks
      Director of Communications, Integrity USA
      tvprod@...
      626-993-4605