8: The Mormon Proposition Gets It Right

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2010
      All: My apologies for being so far behind.

      June 21, 2010

      10:50AM

      8: The Mormon Proposition Gets It Right

      Post by Joanna Brooks

      Now that the widely-reviewed film 8: The Mormon Proposition has left the
      film festival circuit and is available through on-demand cable-with some
      rumors of technical difficulties in the Salt Lake / Provo areas-reaction is
      filtering back from Mormon viewers of the film.

      LDS Church spokespeople have dismissed the film as blatantly false.

      But what I'm hearing from a number of Mormons deeply familiar with the
      Proposition 8 campaign is that the film gets it mostly right. [See also
      Holly Welker's review here. - Eds] Some take exception to editing choices
      that sequence events out of context for dramatic effect; others wish that
      the filmmakers had not been so cartoonish in their depictions of
      anti-gay-marriage standpoints, using only notorious bigots like Utah
      Representative Chris Buttars.

      But most of the Mormon folks I'm hearing from agree: to see this film is to
      know what we on the inside saw unfolding all around us during election
      season 2008.

      The rest of the article is here:

      http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispatches/joannabrooks/2838/8%3A_the_morm
      on_proposition_gets_it_right