Anti-Gay Christians Target Seated Judges

  • UM Affirmation
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2010
      Anti-Gay Christians Target Seated Judges
      by Julie Watson
      Associated Press
      Monday May 31, 2010

      A group of conservative attorneys say they are on a mission from God to unseat four California judges in a rare challenge that is turning a traditionally snooze-button election into what both sides call a battle for the integrity of U.S. courts.

      Vowing to be God's ambassadors on the bench, the four San Diego Superior Court candidates are backed by pastors, gun enthusiasts, and opponents of abortion and same-sex marriages.

      "We believe our country is under assault and needs Christian values," said Craig Candelore, a family law attorney who is one of the group's candidates. "Unfortunately, God has called upon us to do this only with the judiciary."

      The challenge is unheard of in California, one of 33 states to directly elect judges. Critics say the campaign is aimed at packing the courts with judges who adhere to the religious right's moral agenda and threatens both the impartiality of the court system and the separation of church and state.

      The rest of the article is here: http://www.edgeonthenet.comindex.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=news&sc3=&id=106293