Civility Only Works When Everybody Stays In The Same Room

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2010
      Civility Only Works When Everybody Stays In The Same Room

      By Daniel Schultz

      April 19, 2010

      This "covenant for civility," signed by over 100 "faith leaders" and
      publicized by Jim Wallis and Sojourners, practically begs for a contrarian
      response devoid of all ruth and sugar. From the smarmy (not to mention
      insider-y) centrism of the subtitle ("Come, let us reason together," a
      misapplication of Isaiah if there ever was one), to the
      more-in-sadness-than-in-anger ahistorical fretting about what has happened
      to American political discourse, the project fairly cries out for a sound
      thumping by the very contemptuous churls it seeks to corral.

      Fortunately, while it is true generally that I refuse to go along with any
      attempt to transcend the partisanship of, well, partisan politics, in this
      case somebody has done my dirty work for me:

      Dr. George O. Wood, general superintendent of the Assemblies of God,
      asked that his name be removed from "A Covenant for Civility," which was
      released in March.

      "I do not want my name or the Assemblies of God to be associated with
      persons who claim to be in the Body of Christ yet reject the moral teachings
      of Scripture," Wood told freelance writer and conservative Christian blogger
      John Lanagan.

      Lanagan expects others to follow suit.

      The rest of the article is here:
      http://www.religiondispatches.org/blog/2479/civility_only_works_when_everybo