Lutherans seeing fallout over gay clergy issue

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25 1:36 PM
      Lutherans seeing fallout over gay clergy issue
      by Patrick Condon
      Associated Press
      Thursday Feb 25, 2010

      Until a few weeks ago, the Rev. Gail Sowell was pastor at two Lutheran
      churches in the small Wisconsin town of Edgar. That was before members of
      both congregations jumped headfirst into the simmering debate over gay
      clergy in the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America.

      "It was pretty gruesome," Sowell said, recalling shouting matches inside the
      sanctuary; the mass resignation of one church's council, save one member;
      even whispers around town that she was a lesbian. "For the record, I'm not,"
      she said.

      When the smoke cleared, the congregation at St. John Lutheran Church
      narrowly voted to not leave the ELCA. Across town at Peace Lutheran, they
      voted to leave and fired Sowell. "Fortunately, I'm thick-skinned," she said.

      The rest of the article is here: http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?102771