    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 11, 2010
      NH panel recommends against gay marriage repeal
      by Norma Love
      Associated Press
      Wednesday Feb 10, 2010

      A New Hampshire House committee is recommending against repealing the
      state's five-week-old gay marriage law.

      The rest of the article is here: http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?102151

      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 21, 2012

        We admit it.  We took a few days off to attend to other Affirmation: United Methodists tasks (like getting the Winter newsletter out the door) and we’re just about buried under marriage related articles.  Although we expect it to be a cold day in Texas when marriage equality hits the lone star state.  J

        Colorado Civil Union Bill Advances Toward Showdown

        by Ivan Moreno

        Associated Press

        Thursday Feb 16, 2012

        Gay couples waiting for rights similar to those afforded to married couples are closer to a legislative showdown with Colorado Republicans.

        Hundreds of people packed a hearing room Wednesday at the state Capitol to plead with lawmakers to give them legal protections traditional couples enjoy. The issue has gained traction as more states have recently passed either civil union or gay marriage laws.

        The rest of the article is here:

        Ohio County Oks Domestic Partner Benefits

        by Jason St. Amand

        Web Producer / Staff Writer

        Thursday Feb 16, 2012

        Lawmakers in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, on Tuesday approved the extension of domestic partner benefits to same-sex couples and their children, Cleveland.com reported.

        The Cuyahoga County Council voted 6-4 in favor of giving health care benefits to children of gay couples--a benefit that is not extended to children of unmarried straight couples. The council said it made its decision because heterosexual couples can get married in order to receive benefits for their children.

        The rest of the article is here:

        Christie Vetoes N.J. Marriage Equality Bill

        by Angela Delli Santi

        Associated Press

        Friday Feb 17, 2012

        TRENTON, N.J. -- Gov. Chris Christie has followed through on his promise to reject a bill allowing same-sex marriage in New Jersey by quickly vetoing the measure Friday.

        The veto came a day after the state Assembly passed the bill. The state Senate had passed it on Monday. Christie, a Republican who opposes same-sex marriage, had vowed "very swift action" once the bill reached his desk.

        The rest of the article is here:

        Canada expected to fill gay marriage ‘gap’ today

        by Stephen Gray
        17 February 2012, 4:24pm

        Canada is expected to announce changes to its Civil Marriage Act today which will stem fears about the validity of gay marriages between couples who could wed in Canada but not their home countries.

        The article is here:

        Md. House Passes Marriage Equality Bill

        by Sarah Breitenbach

        Associated Press

        Friday Feb 17, 2012

        ANNAPOLIS, Md. -- Maryland appears ready to become one of a handful of states in the U.S. to legalize gay marriage after the bill to allow it passed a long-standing hurdle in the Maryland House of Delegates on Friday.

        After courting the votes of a couple delegates initially opposed to the measure, House members voted 71-67 to pass the bill. Next up is the Senate, which handily passed a similar bill last year, and Gov. Martin O’Malley has said he would sign it. Approval would make Maryland the seventh state to legalize the marriages.

        The rest of the article is here:

        Maryland House of Delegates approves gay marriage bill

        by James Park
        18 February 2012, 1:44am

        The Maryland House of Delegates has passed a bill legalising same-sex marriage that is widely expected to be passed by the state senate and already has the support of the governor Martin O’Malley.

        The article is here:

        The Post’s View

        Maryland’s civil rights victory

        By Editorial Board,

        WHAT HISTORY often records as a grand sweep of progress is in real time propelled by fragile moments of courage. One such moment occurred on Friday, when the Maryland House of Delegates garnered a slim majority to recognize same-sex marriage.

        The 72 to 67 vote, clearing the threshold for approval by only one vote, was a dramatic and justified reversal. Last year, the march to marriage equality came to a halt in the House after conservatives and African American religious leaders expressed fears that a change in law could force religious institutions to perform marriage ceremonies that clashed with their beliefs. Theirs was an understandable concern and one that resulted in strong protections for religious organizations and their affiliates in this year’s proposal from Gov. Martin O’Malley (D). This wise accommodation rightly allayed the concerns of some and paved the way for Maryland to become the eighth jurisdiction, including the District of Columbia and, most recently before Friday, Washington state, to legalize same-sex marriage.

        The rest of the opinion piece is here:

        Will R.I. Lawmakers Finally Pass a Marriage Equality Bill?

        by Joe Siegel

        EDGE New England Editor

        Monday Feb 20, 2012

        State Sen. Rhoda Perry (D-Providence)

        A marriage equality bill was among the three LGBT rights measures that state lawmakers introduced on Thursday.

        State Rep. Art Handy (D-Cranston) and state Sen. Rhoda Perry (D-Providence) introduced the Equal Access to Marriage Act in the House of Representatives.

        A marriage equality bill was introduced last year, but gay House Speaker Gordon Fox (D-Providence) withdrew it after he said there were not enough votes for it to pass. Senate President Teresa Paiva Weed (D-Newport) opposes marriage for same-sex couples. Both chambers are controlled by Democrats.

        The rest of the article is here:

        The Bay Citizen

        A Quiet Struggle Within the Gay Marriage Fight

        Noah Berger for The Bay Citizen

        By MATT SMITH
        Published: February 18, 2012

        Straight couples dressed in tuxedoes and pastel-colored gowns were forced to wait in a hallway outside the San Francisco recorder’s office on Tuesday as 10 Bay Area Christian leaders sat in a circle inside singing “We Shall Overcome,” “Chapel of Love,” and “We Shall Not Be Moved.” It has become an annual Valentine’s Day protest of the city’s inability to give marriage licenses to same-sex couples, an authority that is on hold until appeals of a court’s decision to strike down California’s gay marriage ban are exhausted.

         “We’re just going to keep knocking at the door until justice is available to all people,” the Rev. Karen Oliveto, a Methodist pastor of San Francisco’s Glide Memorial Church, said after sheriff’s deputies handcuffed her and her fellow protesters and led them to jail.

        The rest of the article is here:

        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 27, 2012

          Petition secures second public vote on gay marriage in Maine

          by Stephen Gray
          24 February 2012, 3:42pm

          Citizens of Maine will be asked to vote in favour of equal marriage rights for gay couples after a petition by marriage equality advocates secured enough signatures for a second public referendum.

          The article is here:

          Washington anti-gay activist likens gay marriage to bloodletting

          By Brian Tashman
          Right Wing Watch

          Joseph Backholm, the Executive Director of the Family Policy Institute of Washington and the leader of the Protect Marriage Washington campaign to repeal Washington’s marriage equality law, appeared on The Janet Mefferd Show Thursday where he likened same-sex marriage to the medical practice of bloodletting.

          Just as bloodletting was once a common practice until it was abandoned for not working, Backholm claimed, so too marriage equality for gays and lesbians will eventually be rejected even in states where it is legal.

          The rest of the article is here:

          Maine marriage equality advocates qualify for second ballot referendum

          Staff Reports

          AUGUSTA, Maine — Three years after Maine voters rejected same-sex marriage, advocates have gathered the required number of verified signatures to put the issue of marriage equality back on the November 2012 ballot, according to Maine’s Secretary of State, Charlie Summers.

          Equality Maine had gathered 85,000 verified signatures with another 30,000 left to be checked as of Wednesday, according to state officials. However, only 57,000 were required to put the measure before voters.

          The rest of the article is here:

          Opponents of Maryland same-sex marriage launch effort to overturn law

          Staff Reports

          ANNAPOLIS, Md. — Opponents of a marriage equality bill passed in the Maryland state legislature — which is on its way to Gov. Martin O’Malley’s desk for his promised signature — have filed the necessary paperwork with the Maryland Board of Elections for a referendum petition to let Maryland voters decide the issue.

          Del. Neil Parrott (R-Washington County) said he filed draft language for a referendum petition with the state board of elections Friday, just one day after the Senate joined the House in approving a bill to allow same-sex marriages.

          The rest of the article is here:

          Family Research Council launches fundraiser to stop ‘fake marriages’

          By Brody Levesque

          WASHINGTON — The virulently anti-gay Family Research Center has launched an aggressive new fundraising campaign to “Stop Fake Marriages” in the U.S., because, according to the FRC, 2012 could be the “tipping point” year in the battle for marriage.

          “The Left has launched the deceptive ‘Commitment Campaign’ to mislead Americans and impose affirmation of same-sex ‘marriage’ — fake marriage — on every state, county, city, school, and workplace,” the FRC claims on its website.

          The rest of the article is here:

          GOP group appeals California court ruling that DOMA is unconstitutional

          By Ken Williams
          San Diego Gay and Lesbian News

          SAN FRANCISCO — A group of Republican members of Congress who oppose gay rights filed an appeal today of a federal judge’s ruling that the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is unconstitutional.

          District Court Judge Jeffery White, a George W. Bush appointee, ruled on Wednesday, Feb. 22, that DOMA violates the rights of Karen Golinski, who was denied spousal health benefits by her employer, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco.

          The rest of the article is here:

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2012

            O’Malley to sign Md. marriage bill Thursday

            March 1, 2012

            By Lou Chibbaro Jr. on March 1, 2012

            Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley is scheduled to sign a bill to legalize same-sex marriage at a ceremony at the State Capitol building in Annapolis Thursday at 5 p.m., highlighting what LGBT activists consider an historic advancement for marriage equality.

            Maryland governor to sign same-sex marriage into law on Thursday

            (Reuters) -

            By Alice Popovici

            ANNAPOLIS, Maryland (Reuters) - Maryland's governor plans to sign a bill making same-sex marriage legal later this week, his office said on Monday, while opponents were making plans to challenge the new law at the ballot box.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 8, 2012

              This post does go on a bit.  There’s been a lot of news regarding marriage and civil law recently.  There will be another post tomorrow with more marriage news.

              North Carolina Voters Approve Marriage Amendment

              by Emery P. Dalesio and Martha Waggoner

              Associated Press

              Tuesday May 8, 2012

              RALEIGH, N.C. -- North Carolina voters approved a constitutional amendment on Tuesday defining marriage solely as a union between a man and a woman, making it the 30th state to adopt such a ban.

              With 35 percent of precincts reporting Tuesday, unofficial returns showed the amendment passing with about 58 percent of the vote to 42 percent against.

              May 9, 2012 7:22PM

              The Obama Same-Sex Marriage Statement:
              A Religious Analysis

              Post by Jay Michaelson

              I have to tell you that over the course of several years as I have talked to friends and family and neighbors when I think about members of my own staff who are in incredibly committed monogamous relationships, same-sex relationships, who are raising kids together, when I think about those soldiers or airmen or marines or sailors who are out there fighting on my behalf and yet feel constrained, even now that Don't Ask Don't Tell is gone, because they are not able to commit themselves in a marriage, at a certain point I've just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same sex couples should be able to get married.

              President Obama’s historic statement on same-sex marriage was 122 words long, and “God” was not one of them. Nevertheless, it was an important religious statement that merits our attention—not just because it’s a slap in the face to the so-called Christian Right (neither Christian nor Right, as some of my progressive Christian friends like to say) but because of its own positive values.

              Marriage equality ‘could make Scotland a progressive beacon’ following Queen’s Speech, campaign says

              by Stephen Gray
              9 May 2012, 5:08pm

              Scottish equality advocates say the country could become a 'progressive beacon'

              With equal marriage laws absent from the Westminster government’s legislative agenda for the coming year, Scottish campaigners say Holyrood is in a position to become a ‘beacon’ of equality by introducing the laws first.

              Gov.: RI Recognizing Out-of-State Gay Marriages

              by Erika Niedowski

              Associated Press

              Monday May 14, 2012

              PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Rhode Island’s governor on Monday declared that the state will recognize same-sex marriages performed elsewhere, giving gay couples the same rights as heterosexual ones when it comes to health insurance and a slew of other benefits.

              The order signed by Gov. Lincoln Chafee in a Statehouse ceremony directs state agencies to recognize marriages performed out of state as legal and treat same-sex married couples the same as heterosexual ones.

              For Some, Same-Sex Marriage Is Not Politics, It’s Personal

              Doug Mills/The New York Times

              Conservative Republicans like Dick Cheney, with his daughter Mary Cheney, center, and her partner, Heather Poe, have had their views altered by the people in their lives.

              Published: May 15, 2012

              WASHINGTON — Some of their best friends turned out to be gay.

              Or a daughter (Dick Cheney). Or a close pal (Jon M. Huntsman Jr.). Or a couple seated close by (the Maryland lawmaker Wade Kach).

              President Obama’s embrace of same-sex marriage rights last week instantly touched off speculation about the possible political implications, but that misses a more nuanced point. Like so many other Americans in recent years, politicians are less influenced by party, faith or color on the question of favoring greater legal protections for gays, both liberals and conservatives say.

              Instead, it’s more personal.

              GOP Kills Civil Unions in Colorado Special Session

              by Ivan Moreno and Kristen Wyatt

              Associated Press

              Tuesday May 15, 2012

              DENVER (AP) - Gay couples who watched as Colorado lawmakers rejected a civil unions measure are taking comfort in the bill sponsor’s mantra: It’s not a matter of if, but a matter of when civil unions become law.

              The most emotional issue - some call it divisive - at the Legislature came to an end late Monday in front of hundreds of observers at the Capitol. It was the second time within a week the bill failed. The first was after a Republican filibuster, the second during a special session.

              France’s New Leader Hollande Has Tough To-Do List: Legalizing Gay Marriage

              Associated Press

              Tuesday May 15, 2012

              PARIS (AP) - Francois Hollande campaigned for the French presidency with some pretty radical promises. But his carefully worded agenda and his political record suggest as president he’s likely to revert to the moderate consensus-building that has characterized his career.

              Rhode Island to Recognize States’ Same-Sex Marriages

              by Joe Siegel

              EDGE New England Editor

              Tuesday May 15, 2012

              The State of Rhode Island will now officially recognize same-sex marriages performed in other states as the result of an Executive Order signed Monday, May 14, by Governor Lincoln Chafee (I).

              The news was greeted with thunderous cheers and applause from marriage equality activists and supporters at a packed State House press conference.

              Female pastor sees gay marriage issue as civil-rights fight

              By Margery Eagan
              Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - Updated 3 weeks ago

              The Rev. LaTrelle Miller Easterling is unusual for many reasons. Among them: She’s the first female pastor in the 190-year history of the South End’s United Union Methodist church. She’s also a zealous advocate for gay marriage in a city, and nation, where black ministers oppose it with equal zeal.

              Last year Easterling even signed a pledge, in defiance of Methodist policy, to marry gay couples. When she performs such a ceremony — she’s not yet been asked — she risks not only her job but her very ordination.

              Md. Court: Gay Divorce OK While Gay Marriage Isn’t

              by Brian Witte

              Associated Press

              Monday May 21, 2012

              ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - Maryland’s highest court ruled Friday that same-sex couples can divorce in the state even though Maryland does not yet permit same-sex marriages.

              The Court of Appeals ruled 7-0 that couples who have a valid marriage from another state can divorce in Maryland. The case involved two women who were married in California and denied a divorce in 2010 by a Maryland judge.

              NAACP Chief: Marriage Equality is a Civil Right

              by Brian Witte

              Associated Press

              Tuesday May 22, 2012

              BALTIMORE (AP) - NAACP President Benjamin Jealous said Monday he hopes the group’s resolution supporting same-sex marriage will encourage blacks to support marriage equality as a civil right if the question is put to voters on the ballot in Maryland or other states.

              The civil rights group’s resolution was significant, as only 39 percent of blacks favor gay marriage, compared with 47 percent of white Americans, according to a Pew poll conducted in April. Much of the opposition stems from churches, which have long been important institutions in the black community.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 12, 2012

                We’re getting caught up on marriage articles.  We should be caught up tomorrow.

                Judge: Anti-Gay Marriage Law is Unconstitutional

                Associated Press

                Friday May 25, 2012

                OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - A second federal judge in California has struck down a law denying benefits to partners in a gay marriage.

                Conservatives Lining up to Support Gay Marriage

                by Jason St. Amand

                Web Producer / Staff Writer

                Friday May 25, 2012

                One of the most conservative newspapers in the country recently posted an op-ed endorsing marriage equality and encouraging Republicans to support the issue as well, saying, "gay marriage is actually a very conservative value."

                The Washington Times guest editorial column, written by Catherine Poe, includes a memo by Jan R. van Lohuizen - President George W. Bush’s pollster. The letter is intended for Republican leaders and candidates and says, "As people [Republicans] who promote personal responsibility, family values, commitment and stability, and emphasize freedom and limited government we have to recognize that freedom means freedom for everyone. This includes the freedom to decide how you live and to enter into relationships of your choosing, the freedom to live without excessive interference of the regulatory force of government."

                Jeb Bush calls equal marriage ‘a distraction’

                by Edmund Broch
                25 May 2012, 7:57pm

                On a three day visit to Taiwan, the former governor of Florida, Jeb Bush, has said that equal marriage was ‘a distraction’ in the current presidential campaign, and it was economy that was the most important.

                Md. Gay Marriage Foes Submit Repeal Effort Signatures

                Associated Press

                Wednesday May 30, 2012

                ANNAPOLIS, Md. - Opponents of Maryland’s same-sex marriage law have delivered more than twice the number of signatures needed to put a referendum on the law on November’s ballot.

                ACLU Lawsuit Challenges Ill. Gay Marriage Ban

                by Sophia Tareen

                Associated Press

                Thursday May 31, 2012

                CHICAGO (AP) - Building on the momentum of President Barack Obama’s recent support of gay marriage, two major civil rights groups in his home state filed lawsuits Wednesday in hopes of legalizing same-sex marriage in Illinois.

                The two lawsuits - brought by the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois and the New York-based Lambda Legal - represent 25 couples statewide. Both challenge a state law that defines marriage as between a man and woman, arguing that the Illinois Constitution guarantees the right for same-sex couples to marry under due process and equality clauses.

                May 31, 2012 1:42PM

                Court Agrees: Fed Gov Must Recognize Same-Sex Marriages

                Post by Peter Montgomery

                A unanimous three-judge panel of the Federal Appeals Court for the First District today ruled that the section of the federal Defense of Marriage Act that prevents the federal government from recognizing legally married same-sex couples, and denies couples access to things like Social Security survivor benefits, is unconstitutional. Lambda Legal called the ruling “another nail in DOMA’s coffin.”

                The court upheld a similar ruling at the district court level; the appeals court also stayed its ruling pending action by the Supreme Court.

                Defense Of Marriage Act Is Unconstitutional, Federal Court Rules

                May 31, 2012

                by Mark Memmott

                "A federal appeals court Thursday declared that the Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutionally denies federal benefits to married gay couples, a ruling all but certain to wind up before the U.S. Supreme Court," The Associated Press reports from Boston.

                Boston Appeals Court Finds DOMA Unconstitutional

                Associated Press

                Thursday May 31, 2012

                The 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston said the Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman, discriminates against married same-sex couples by denying them federal benefits.

                The law was passed in 1996 at a time when it appeared Hawaii would legalize gay marriage. Since then, many states have instituted their own bans on gay marriage, while eight states have approved it, led by Massachusetts in 2004.

                Minnesota United Methodist conference opposes state ‘marriage amendment’

                June 1, 2012

                Victoria Rebeck

                Minnesota United Methodists have expressed opposition to the proposed “marriage amendment” to the Minnesota state constitution.

                The motion prevailed in written ballot, 400 to 169.

                Meeting in annual session in Saint Cloud, Minn., May 30-June 1, session members approved a resolution sent by a group of churches against the proposal that only a union of one man and one woman shall be recognized as marriage in Minnesota. The proposal will appear on the November ballot.

                Defense of Marriage Act Heads to US Supreme Court

                by Denise Lavoie

                Associated Press

                Friday Jun 1, 2012

                BOSTON (AP) - A battle over a federal law that defines marriage as a union between a man and a woman appears headed for the Supreme Court after an appeals court ruled Thursday that denying benefits to married gay couples is unconstitutional.

                In a unanimous decision, the three-judge panel of the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston said the 1996 law deprives gay couples of the rights and privileges granted to heterosexual couples.

                Gay Married Couples Look to High Court on Benefits

                by Denise Lavoie

                Associated Press

                Friday Jun 1, 2012

                BOSTON (AP) - Fresh from a favorable ruling by a federal appeals court, Dorene Bowe-Shulman can’t wait for the U.S. Supreme Court to weigh in on whether same-sex married couples should get the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.

                "I really look forward to the next step," said Bowe-Shulman, one of 17 people from Massachusetts who sued to challenge the constitutionality of the federal Defense of Marriage Act.

                Minnesota United Methodist conference opposes marriage amendment

                Posted by: Rose French Updated: June 1, 2012 - 11:43 AM

                Minnesota United Methodists on Friday went on record against changing the state Constitution to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

                A total of 569 members voted on a resolution in opposition to the amendment at the group’s annual assembly in St. Cloud. The amendment — which would effectively ban gay marriage in Minnesota — is on the election ballot Nov. 6.

                Post by Peter Montgomery

                A unanimous three-judge panel of the Federal Appeals Court for the First District today ruled that the section of the federal Defense of Marriage Act that prevents the federal government from recognizing legally married same-sex couples, and denies couples access to things like Social Security survivor benefits, is unconstitutional. Lambda Legal called the ruling “another nail in DOMA’s coffin.”

                The court upheld a similar ruling at the district court level; the appeals court also stayed its ruling pending action by the Supreme Court.

                Calif. Church’s N.C. Billboard Apologizes for Recent Anti-Marriage Vote

                by Jason St. Amand

                Web Producer / Staff Writer

                Monday Jun 4, 2012

                A church based in California set up a billboard in Charlotte, N.C., in order to apologize to the state’s gay community after voters approved a constitutional amendment that prohibits same-sex couples from getting married, the New York Daily News reported.

                "Missiongathering Christian Church is sorry for the narrow-minded, judgmental, deceptive, manipulative actions of those who denied rights and equality to so many in the name of God," the sign reads.

                Gay Bishop Backs Same-Sex Marriage in Maine

                by Clarke Canfield

                Associated Press

                Tuesday Jun 5, 2012

                PORTLAND, Maine-Gene Robinson, the first openly gay bishop in the Episcopal Church, married his longtime partner on New Year’s Day 2010 -- the day same-sex marriage became legal in his home state of New Hampshire.

                Robinson hopes Maine voters follow in its neighbor’s footsteps and legalize same-sex marriage in a ballot proposal in November. Robinson is coming to Maine on behalf of the campaign seeking to legalize gay marriage, appearing at three screenings of a film about his life and his struggles to be accepted within the Anglican church.

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 22, 2012

                  The Called Out editors have been having quite an interesting time of it.  We could tell you about it, but it would sound like a badly written soap opera.  Meanwhile, over the next few days, we’re going to try to get caught up.  Here are the marriage articles from when we started falling behind, up through the end of June.

                  Equality advocates slightly ahead on Minnesota marriage question

                  by Stephen Gray
                  6 June 2012, 3:16pm

                  The opponents of a measure which would introduce a constitutional ban on marriages for gay couples in Minnesota have edged slightly ahead, according to a recent poll.

                  5 Reasons Gay Marriage Losing Streak May Be Over

                  by Mike Baker

                  Associated Press

                  Thursday Jun 14, 2012

                  OLYMPIA, Wash. (AP) - Opponents of gay marriage have an unblemished track record in U.S. elections, chalking up 32 victories in 32 public votes.

                  They’ve won in blue states and red ones, among the most heavily religious areas and among the least-churched. North Carolina punctuated the winning streak just last month by comfortably approving a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex unions.

                  Gay marriage supporters are optimistic that they can end their losing ways this year, with four states voting on the issue in November. They’re particularly encouraged by the prospects in Washington and Maine. Meanwhile opponents have taken steps to maintain their unflawed record and believe their side will be motivated to hold the status quo.

                  Denmark: Equal marriage laws for gay couples come into effect today

                  by Stephen Gray
                  15 June 2012, 10:23am

                  Denmark’s new laws allowing gay couples to marry in the state church have come into effect today.

                  Editorial: Minnesota's United Methodists take a brave stand

                  Updated: June 5, 2012 - 10:51 PM

                  They buck denomination, oppose gay marriage ban.

                  General Mills opposes ban on equal marriage, angers anti-equality groups

                  by Edmund Broch
                  16 June 2012, 10:43pm

                  The international food giant, General Mills, has publicly declared it opposes a proposed constitutional amendment to ban equal marriage in Minnesota, and has consequently angered anti-equality groups in the state.

                  Poll: Record 64 percent support for equal marriage in Scotland

                  by Edmund Broch
                  17 June 2012, 9:00am

                  A new survey of Scottish people suggests that almost two in three support equal marriage, with only one in four expressing opposition, PinkNews.co.uk can reveal.

                  NY Marriage Act Lawsuit Seeks Health Care Benefits

                  Associated Press

                  Wednesday Jun 20, 2012

                  Ill. Prosecutors Refuse to Defend Gay Marriage Ban

                  by Tammy Webber

                  Associated Press

                  Thursday Jun 21, 2012

                  CHICAGO (AP) - Twenty-five Illinois couples were prepared for a long legal fight when they joined lawsuits challenging the state’s ban on gay marriage. Turns out they won’t get one - at least not from the attorneys who would normally be responsible for defending the state’s laws.

                  Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan and Cook County State’s Attorney Anita Alvarez have refused to defend the 16-year-old ban, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman, saying it violates the state constitution’s equal protection clause.

                  Concerns Voiced on Maine Gay Marriage Wording

                  by Clarke Canfield

                  Associated Press

                  Thursday Jun 21, 2012

                  PORTLAND, Maine - The proposed wording of a ballot question asking Maine voters if they want to legalize same-sex marriage is inaccurate and misleading, gay marriage supporters said Wednesday.

                  Maine’s secretary of state announced last week that the proposed wording for the November referendum reads, ’’Do you want to allow same-sex couples to marry?’’

                  The question should also include wording about how clergy, churches, and other religious institutions will not be required to perform or host same-sex marriages if Maine voters approve the measure, said Matt McTighe, campaign manager for Mainers United for Marriage, a coalition in support of the proposal.

                  NYC Backs Gay Widow’s Suit Against Marriage Law

                  Associated Press

                  Thursday Jun 21, 2012

                  Australian state government reverses same-sex civil union rights

                  Also plans to ban gay couples from having a child through surrogacy

                  By Brody Levesque

                  BRISBANE, Australia — Conservative lawmakers in the parliament of the Australian state of Queensland have voted to redefine civil partnerships, downgrading them to the lessor class of “registered relationships,” and said they also plan to ban same-sex couples from having children through surrogacy.

                  After a sometimes heated debate Thursday, the conservative Liberal National Party majority, which took control of the Parliament from the Labor Party earlier this year, voted to extensively alter the provisions of the Civil Partnerships Act 2011 which took effect in February.

                  Queensland ‘downgrades’ civil partnerships and will ban gay surrogacy

                  by Stephen Gray
                  22 June 2012, 10:38am

                  The Australian state of Queensland will remove gay couples’ ability to have children through surrogacy and downgrade civil partnerships to the class of ‘registered relationships’, after a debate in Parliament last night.

                  Washington state looks set to back equal marriage in referendum

                  by Edmund Broch
                  21 June 2012, 10:39pm

                  In a sign that Washington may be one of the first states to buck the trend on equal marriage referenda, a new poll suggests that voters in the state might approve the measure during the presidential elections this November.

                  Maine: Equal marriage advocates seek to amend ballot question

                  by Stephen Gray
                  21 June 2012, 6:47pm

                  Supporters of marriage equality rights for gay couples in Maine have said they will ask for the ballot question on marriage to be put to voters later this year to be amended before it is finalised.

                  A popular vote will take place in

                  Southern Baptists opposed to viewing equal marriage as a civil rights issue

                  by Stephen Gray
                  21 June 2012, 3:47pm

                  The US Southern Baptist Convention has adopted a resolution at its annual conference criticising marriage equality advocates who have adopted the ‘rhetoric of the civil rights movement’ and drawn comparisons between discrimination against gay couples and racism.

                  Anti-gay marriage group ‘Keep Marriage Special’ says UK Government will legalise incest next

                  by James Park
                  24 June 2012, 3:12pm

                  A new campaign against same-sex couples marrying, Keep Marriage Special, has claimed in glossy leaflets that the next logical step will be legalising incest and polygamy. Out4Marriage has branded the group’s claims “extremist and confused”.

                  Scotland: New poll shows majority of population support same-sex marriage

                  by Dan Littauer
                  30 June 2012, 1:01pm

                  A major poll by Stonewall Scotland has revealed that the majority of the Scottish population support the introducing of equal same-sex marriage. A majority also believe that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people face prejudice in society.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 26, 2012

                    We hope to be caught up on marriage articles tomorrow night.

                    One Washington state anti-equality measure fails

                    by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                    4 July 2012, 10:38pm

                    One Washington state voter-initiative to ban equal marriage has failed to gain enough support.

                    Obama administration asks Supreme Court to hear Defence of Marriage cases

                    by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                    4 July 2012, 7:35pm

                    The Obama administration’s Department of Justice has asked the Supreme Court to hear two cases against the Defence of Marriage Act (DOMA).

                    Gov’t Asks for Quick Review of Gay Marriage Law

                    Associated Press

                    Thursday Jul 5, 2012

                    Illinois Clerks Get OK to Defend Gay Marriage Ban

                    Associated Press

                    Thursday Jul 5, 2012

                    US: Episcopal Church to debate blessing for gay couples

                    by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                    5 July 2012, 8:12pm

                    The Episcopal Church in the US is to debate a blessing rite for gay couples who wish to marry.

                    NW Methodists endorse same-sex marriage

                    The United Methodist Church in the Northwest, at odds with its parent denomination, has endorsed Referendum 74 and called on voters to make Washington the nation’s seventh state to enact same-sex marriage.

                    U.S. Presbyterians Narrowly Reject Same-Sex Marriage

                    by Rachel Zoll

                    Associated Press

                    Sunday Jul 8, 2012

                    The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) narrowly rejected a proposal to revise the traditional definition of marriage on Friday, a year after it struck down a barrier to ordaining gays.

                    The Presbyterian General Assembly, meeting in Pittsburgh, voted 338-308 against changing how marriage was defined in the church constitution from a "civil contract between a woman and a man" to a "covenant between two people." The assembly also rejected measures that would have affirmed a traditional definition of marriage or sought more theological study of the issue.

                    US: Episcopal Church bishops approve blessing for gay couples

                    by Stephen Gray
                    10 July 2012, 4:48pm

                    Leading bishops of the two million-strong Episcopal Church in the US have approved a blessing for the relationships of gay couples.

                    Poll: Third of gay and trans Canadians in a same-sex marriage

                    by Stephen Gray
                    10 July 2012, 12:30pm

                    A Canadian poll has suggested that 5 percent of the 34 million people living in Canada identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, and that a third of those are in a gay marriage.

                    US: Washington state marriage equality supporters raise $1m in June

                    by Stephen Gray
                    10 July 2012, 2:57pm

                    The Washington United for Marriage raised nearly $1 million last month in its bid to keep Washington’s recently-passed marriage equality laws on the statute books following news that a public ballot will be held on the issue later this year.

                    US: Latino groups launch push for marriage equality

                    by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                    9 July 2012, 11:45pm

                    Leading US Latino groups are backing a campaign to raise awareness of gay rights and marriage equality.

                    Episcopalians set to be first big U.S. church to bless gay marriage

                    By David Dawson

                    INDIANAPOLIS | Mon Jul 9, 2012 9:59pm EDT

                    (Reuters) - The U.S. Episcopal Church is poised to become the first major religious denomination in the United States to approve a rite for blessing gay marriages after its bishops overwhelmingly approved such a liturgy on Monday.

                    Episcopal Church OKs Same-Sex Blessings; Largest U.S. Denomination To Do So

                    Episcopal Bishops OK Trial Gay Blessing Prayer

                    by Rachel Zoll

                    Associated Press

                    Tuesday Jul 10, 2012

                    Episcopal bishops approved an official prayer service for blessing same-sex couples Monday at a national convention that also cleared the way for transgender ordination.

                    At the Episcopal General Convention in Indianapolis, the House of Bishops voted 111-41, with three abstentions, to authorize a provisional rite for same-sex unions for the next three years. The liturgy next goes to convention’s deputies for their authorization.

                    US: Most Utah voters back legal recognition for gay couples – but not marriage

                    by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                    10 July 2012, 11:55pm

                    Polling shows that 71 per cent of Utah voters support some form of legal recognition for gay couples.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 27, 2012

                      Another Major Minn. Company Comes Out Against Marriage Ban

                      by Patrick Condon

                      Associated Press

                      Sunday Jul 15, 2012

                      The legal, business information and media company Thomson Reuters said Friday that an amendment to ban gay marriage in Minnesota would be bad for business.

                      Prominent companies including General Mills and St. Jude Medical spoke out earlier against the proposed amendment, which goes to the voters in November. Minnesota already has a law against gay marriage, but gay marriage opponents say the amendment is necessary to put the ban in the state constitution.

                      Advocates Weigh in on Lesbian Marriage Immigration Case

                      by Les Spindle

                      EDGE Contributor

                      Saturday Jul 21, 2012

                      A class-action suit filed by three residents of Irvine, California poses the latest of many challenges to Homeland Security’s ongoing discriminatory practices on the rights of green-card applicants who are married to same-sex spouses. Plaintiffs in the case are Jane DeLeon, a Philippines citizen whose employer is sponsoring her application; her 20-year partner, U.S. citizen, Irma Rodriguez, who DeLeon married in California prior to the passage of Proposition 8; and DeLeon’s son, 25-year-old Martin Aranas.

                      Liberia: Senate votes to criminalise gay marriages

                      by Stephen Gray
                      23 July 2012, 10:38am

                      The Liberian senate is reported to have approved a bill criminalising gay marriages in the west African state, but it is unclear whether the president would sign it into law.

                      Scottish Government to Back Same-Sex Marriage

                      Associated Press

                      Wednesday Jul 25, 2012

                      New Zealand Lawmakers to Debate Gay Marriage Bill

                      Associated Press

                      Thursday Jul 26, 2012

                      Republicans join push for marriage equality in Maine

                      by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                      24 July 2012, 10:26pm

                      Twenty Republican leaders have joined a Republican group pushing for marriage equality in Maine.

                      Petitions Challenging DOMA Piling Up

                      by Justin Snow

                      Metro Weekly

                      Tuesday Jul 31, 2012

                      Last week the Supreme Court received its fourth petition in less than a month asking the high court to review the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act.

                      On July 16, lawyers for Edith ’’Edie’’ Windsor filed the petition with the hope that the Supreme Court will consider the 83-year-old window’s case challenging Section 3 of DOMA on the grounds that it violates the 14th Amendment’s Equal Protection Clause by blocking same-sex couples from enjoying federal benefits.

                      US: Democrats move to adopt same-sex marriage as official party platform

                      by James Park
                      30 July 2012, 11:32pm

                      The Democrats are expected to back same-sex marriage part of their official party platform. The move comes little more than three months after President Barack Obama confirmed his own personal support for gay couples being granted the right to marry.

                      Dems Move to Formally Back Gay Marriage

                      by Julie Pace

                      Associated Press

                      Tuesday Jul 31, 2012

                      WASHINGTON (AP) - The Democratic Party is moving to include support for gay marriage in the official party platform for the first time, a Democratic official said Monday, marking a key milestone for advocates of same-sex unions.

                      The party’s platform drafting committee voted to include language backing gay marriage during a weekend meeting in Minneapolis, the official said. Democratic delegates will formally approve the platform during the party convention in Charlotte, N.C., in early September.

                      Minn. Sunday School Students Raise Money For Gay Marriage With Lemonade Stand

                      by Jason St. Amand

                      Web Producer / Staff Writer

                      Wednesday Aug 1, 2012

                      Last weekend, children from the First Universalist Church of Minneapolis set up a lemonade stand to support marriage equality during the church’s fundraiser, the Golden Valley (Minn.) Patch reported.

                      Church officials called the event the "Lemonade Stand-ing on the Side of Love." Young Sunday school students charged thirsty customers a quarter for a glass of lemonade. All of the proceeds went to the Minnesota Unitarian Universalist Social Justice Alliance, an organization that is fighting against a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution that would ban gay marriage.

                      Connecticut federal court finds DOMA unconstitutional

                      by Stephen Gray
                      1 August 2012, 12:52pm

                      A US federal court in Connecticut has become the latest to find the Defense of Marriage Act, which forbids recognition of gay marriages at the national level, unconstitutional.

                      Gay Marriage Ban Backers Seek Supreme Court Review

                      by Lisa Leff

                      Associated Press

                      Tuesday Jul 31, 2012

                      SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Backers of California’s voter-approved ban on same-sex marriages asked the U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday to overrule a federal appeals court that struck down the measure as unconstitutional.

                      Lawyers for the coalition of religious conservative groups that sponsored the ban, known as Proposition 8, petitioned the Supreme Court to review the lower court’s finding that the 2008 amendment to the state constitution violated the civil rights of gay and lesbian Californians.

                      US: Supreme Court asked to hear Proposition 8 appeal

                      by Stephen Gray
                      1 August 2012, 11:14am

                      Proponents of Proposition 8, the voter-approved ban on gay marriages in the US state of California, have asked the Supreme Court to overturn two lower judgements that it was unconstitutional.

                      Conn. Judge: US Gay Marriage Law Unconstitutional

                      Associated Press

                      Wednesday Aug 1, 2012

                      Catholic Bishop: Government should make incest legal if it really believes in equality

                      by James Park
                      5 August 2012, 11:23am

                      A senior Catholic Bishop in Scotland has stunned equal rights campaigners by suggesting that if the Scottish Government truly believed in equality it would make incest and polygamy legal.

                      US to Weigh Gay Relationships in Deportation Cases

                      by Amy Taxin and Lisa Leff

                      Associated Press

                      Monday Aug 6, 2012

                      SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Amid pressure from Democratic lawmakers, Homeland Security officials reiterated Friday that a foreigner’s longstanding same-sex relationship with a U.S. citizen could help stave off the threat of deportation.

                      Binational gay couples are eligible for consideration under a federal program designed to focus resources away from low-priority deportation cases and let officials spend more time tracking down convicted criminals, said Marsha Catron, a spokeswoman for the Department of Homeland Security.

                      Gay Rights Group Donates $250,000 to Maine’s Gay Marriage Fight

                      Associated Press

                      Monday Aug 6, 2012

                      US: Delaware governor says state could legalise marriage equality in 2013

                      by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                      7 August 2012, 10:40pm

                      The governor of Delaware is confident that his state will legalise marriage equality in 2013.

                      Federal Judge Rules Against Hawaii Gay Marriage

                      by Jennifer Sinco Kelleher

                      Associated Press

                      Thursday Aug 9, 2012

                      HONOLULU (AP) - A federal judge ruled Wednesday against two Hawaii women who want to get married instead of enter into a civil union, handing a victory to opponents of gay marriage in a state that’s been at the forefront of the issue.

                      Dems Draft Platform Backs Gay Marriage

                      Associated Press

                      Friday Aug 10, 2012

                      WASHINGTON (AP) - A draft of the Democratic Party’s official party platform includes support for gay marriage for the first time, months after President Barack Obama said he was in favor of same-sex unions.

                      The party platform draft includes support for "marriage equality" and efforts to bring "equal treatment under law for same-sex couples," according to a person who has seen the draft language. The person spoke on condition of anonymity and was not authorized to speak publicly ahead of a platform committee meeting in Detroit on Saturday.

                      Seattle lawyers issue complaint against anti-marriage equality groups

                      by Christopher Brocklebank
                      17 August 2012, 12:40pm

                      A Seattle law firm has filed a complaint against two anti-marriage equality groups for not declaring the source of their funding.

                      Bishop of Buckingham: ‘Church should get its head around gay relationships and be @Out4Marriage’

                      [There’s a print article under the video]

                      The Bishop of Buckingham has become the most senior member of the Church of England to join the Out4Marriage campaign to introduce equal same-sex marriage in the UK. But a spokesman for the Church says that his message of equality is not the official view of the Church of England.

                      Northern Ireland: Retired Church of Ireland cleric backs calls for marriage equality to be legalised

                      by Christopher Brocklebank
                      23 August 2012, 12:33pm

                      A retired senior Church of Ireland cleric has called for marriage equality to be made legal.

                      Scottish Catholic Church: Today we can save marriage from ‘subversion’ by gays

                      by James Park
                      26 August 2012, 1:37pm

                      The Catholic Church in Scotland has declared today ‘National Marriage Sunday’ and has this morning had a letter read out in 500 Catholic parishes condemning the Scottish government’s plans to legislate for equal same-sex marriage

                      Catholic Cardinal calls for objective debate over gay marriage and abortion

                      by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                      26 August 2012, 9:06pm

                      An Irish Catholic Cardinal has called for a calm and reasoned debate over gay marriage and abortion, but said the church was not prepared to move their position on the latter.

                      Same-sex marriage bill to be introduced in France this October

                      by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                      26 August 2012, 5:47pm

                      New legislation which will be introduced into the French Parliament as early as October will allow gay couples to marry.

                      Republican Mayor of San Diego speaks out in favour of equal marriage

                      by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                      26 August 2012, 1:05am

                      In a TV advert which is to be broadcast during the Republican National Convention, The Mayor of San Diego, California, has spoken urging voters to support equal marriage for all.

                      Supporters of deportee protest immigration office

                      by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                      27 August 2012, 8:55pm

                      A group of people opposed to the deportation of a Mexican man from Detroit, gathered outside a US Immigration and Customs Enforcement office today to protest in favour of his release.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 7 5:41 PM

                        Marriage Equality Likely in France Next Year

                        by Jason St. Amand

                        Web Producer / Staff Writer

                        Wednesday Aug 29, 2012

                        Same-sex couples in France could legally tie the knot in 2013. France’s Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault confirmed on Saturday that the country’s government officials plan to introduce legislation that would legalize gay marriage, UPI reported.

                        "In October, we will send a bill to the National Assembly and the Senate to allow same-sex couples to marry," Ayrault told fellow Socialist Party members last weekend. "It would also allow them to form families and adopt children."

                        Maryland Pro-Marriage Forces Begin Fall Campaign Leg

                        by John Riley

                        Metro Weekly

                        Tuesday Aug 28, 2012

                        It’s officially in ink, and headed to a voting booth near you come November.

                        The Maryland State Board of Elections on Aug. 20 released the wording for the ballot referendum on the Civil Marriage Protection Act, which grants same-sex couples in the Free State the rights to marry, as both supporters and opponents ready themselves for a final push ahead of the Nov. 6 election.

                        New Zealand Passes 1st Stage of Gay Marriage Law

                        by Nick Perry

                        Associated Press

                        Wednesday Aug 29, 2012

                        WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - New Zealand lawmakers on Wednesday overwhelmingly cast a first vote in favor of a gay marriage law that was given impetus by President Barack Obama’s public support of the issue.

                        The 80 to 40 vote in front of a packed and cheering public gallery was the first of three votes Parliament must take before the bill can become law, a process that typically takes several months and allows the public to weigh in. Only a simple majority was needed to ensure a second vote, and the margin is a strong indication that the law will be passed.

                        Maori organisation in New Zealand support marriage equality bill

                        by Christopher Brocklebank
                        30 August 2012, 3:53pm

                        New Zealand’s Maori child advocacy organisation Ririki has said they are in favour of MP Louisa Wall’s marriage equality bill.

                        Support for marriage equality among African-Americans in Nevada has increased over a quarter

                        by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                        30 August 2012, 3:08pm

                        According to a poll, support for marriage equality among African-American voters in Nevada has increased just over a quarter since President Obama said in May that he supports such unions.

                        Judge suggests Detroit lesbian couple challenge state’s marriage equality ban for full parenting rights

                        by Christopher Brocklebank
                        30 August 2012, 12:11pm

                        A federal judge in Detroit this week suggested a lesbian couple challenge the state of Michigan’s ban on marriage equality – which is preventing them both being registered as their children’s parents.

                        Tasmania: equal marriage bill passes in first stage of parliament

                        by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                        30 August 2012, 8:35pm

                        Tasmanian advocators of equal marriage celebrated today, as a bill to legalise same-sex marriage was passed in the first chamber of parliament.

                        New Zealand: Churches vow not to officiate same-sex weddings

                        by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                        31 August 2012, 8:48pm

                        A majority of New Zealand churches have said that they will not officiate same-sex marriages, following news that an equal marriage bill has jumped the first hurdle towards becoming law.

                        Poland moves towards introducing civil partnerships

                        by Scott Roberts
                        3 September 2012, 1:00pm

                        Poland’s ruling centre-right party, Platforma Obywatelska (PO), has announced that it will introduce legislation allowing gay couples to have civil unions.

                        Dublin City Council votes to support equal marriage

                        by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                        4 September 2012, 10:39am

                        Dublin City Council has passed motions in support of opening up civil marriage to all citizens “regardless” of their sexuality.

                        Minnesota: Bishop urges Catholics to support equal marriage ban

                        by Scott Roberts
                        4 September 2012, 12:52pm

                        The archbishop of Saint Paul and Minneapolis has written an open letter asking Catholics in the US state of Minnesota to vote in favour of a pending constitutional ban on equal marriage.

                        Australian Christian lobbyist: Gays shouldn’t be allowed to marry because they are more likely to smoke

                        by Scott Roberts
                        5 September 2012, 12:48pm

                        The head of the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL) appears to have come up with a whole new reason for why Australia should be against equal marriage.

                        UK Catholic Bishop says equal marriage is a ‘gathering storm’ for Christians

                        by Scott Roberts
                        5 September 2012, 11:06am

                        The Bishop of Shrewsbury, Rt Rev Mark Davies, has launched another attack on the government’s plans to introduce equal marriage.

                        In Surprise Move, Poland’s Conservative Party to Introduce Civil Unions

                        by Jason St. Amand

                        Web Producer / Staff Writer

                        Friday Sep 7, 2012

                        Officials from the country’s center-right part, Platforma Obywatelska, announced that they plan to introduce a legislation that would legalize civil union relationships for same-sex couples, On Top Magazine reported.

                        Update: Maryland pro-equality footballer backed by team after delegate requested his silence

                        by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                        8 September 2012, 2:18am

                        An American Football team who were asked by a Maryland delegate to take action against one of their players who stood up for equal marriage rights, has declined to do so.

                        Lesbian couple escalate adoption rights battle, attempt to have equal marriage ban deemed unconstitutional

                        by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                        7 September 2012, 7:40pm

                        A US couple have escalated their same-sex adoption battle to encompass their state’s ban on same-sex marriages. The couple said they are fighting for equality not for themselves, but for the rights of their children.

                        Connecticut, New York and Vermont to challenge anti-equality law

                        by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                        8 September 2012, 7:59pm

                        Vermont is the latest US state to sign a legal bid requesting an appeals court to rule that the legal definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman, is unconstitutional.

                        More States Challenge US Anti-Gay Marriage Law

                        Associated Press

                        Monday Sep 10, 2012

                        Oy Vey! Conservative Jewish Women Compare Same-Sex Marriages to Their Own

                        by Jason St. Amand

                        Web Producer / Staff Writer

                        Tuesday Sep 11, 2012

                        The New York Post reported that a committee that creates laws for Conservative Jews has recently approved two ceremonies for gay couples that do not mention ownership, makes double-ring ceremonies officially part of the wedding and allows either person in the relationship ask for a divorce. These three items have long been hot-button issues for Jewish brides.

                        Game Change :: Outspoken Players Impact NFL Image

                        by Jason St. Amand

                        Web Producer / Staff Writer

                        Tuesday Sep 11, 2012

                        The New York Times reports that a Baltimore Ravens linebacker’s support for marriage equality may have impacted not only the LGBT community but the NFL as well.

                        The Times article points out that the NFL "has long fought the stigma of having homophobic culture." Currently, there has yet to be a football player that has come out during his career.

                        Gay Marriage Proponents, Foes Gear Up For Another Battle in Maine

                        by David Sharp

                        Associated Press

                        Tuesday Sep 11, 2012

                        PORTLAND, Maine - After months of mostly one-on-one campaigning, gay marriage supporters are rolling out television advertising, bumper stickers, and yard signs as they seek to make Maine the first state to legalize same-sex marriage through a statewide vote. Opponents also are stepping up their efforts.

                        France moves closer towards equal marriage and same-sex adoption rights

                        by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                        12 September 2012, 11:09am

                        The French government has confirmed plans to introduce equal marriage and adoption rights for same-sex couples.

                        Pro Athletes Becoming Outspoken Gay-Rights Advocate

                        by Patrick Condon

                        Associated Press

                        Saturday Sep 15, 2012

                        NFL punters are only seen on fourth down and heard from less than that. But with Minnesota voters weighing whether to ban gay marriage this fall, Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has emerged as a high-profile gay rights champion - and a symbol of changing attitudes toward homosexuality in the sports world.

                        US: Support for equal marriage increasing, according to latest polls

                        by Scott Roberts
                        18 September 2012, 1:40pm

                        Two new national polls show that support for marriage equality in the US is steadily increasing.

                        Australia votes against legalising equal marriage

                        by Scott Roberts

                        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 27 4:11 PM

                          Former Alabama Chief Justice: Gay marriage will be 'ultimate destruction of our country'

                          Staff Reports

                          Former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore, who is seeking to regain the office of chief justice, denounced same-sex marriage and predicted it would be the downfall of the country.

                          Speaking at a Tea Party rally in Fort Payne, Ala., on Saturday, the previously ousted justice said the nation must return to its moral and constitutional roots, reported the Birmingham News.

                          Comment: “It was an amazing push for marriage equality”

                          by Gary Spedding
                          9 October 2012, 1:43pm

                          Despite last week’s equal marriage defeat in the Northern Ireland Assembly, in a comment piece for PinkNews.co.uk, Gary Spedding says there are reasons to be optimistic when it comes to securing LGBT equality in Northern Ireland.

                          David Cameron determined to press ahead with equal marriage

                          by Scott Roberts
                          9 October 2012, 11:29am

                          Despite Monday’s high-profile anti-equal marriage protest against the backdrop of the Conservative Party Conference, Prime Minister David Cameron remains determined to press ahead with marriage reform.

                          NAACP to launch pro marriage equality radio adverts ahead of Maryland referendum

                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                          9 October 2012, 12:48am

                          The National Association for the Advancement of Coloured People in Maryland will launch a series of radio adverts on Tuesday, urging voters to support equal marriage for same-sex couples in the state referendum on 6 November.

                          Video: Anti-equal marriage advert aired in Maryland

                          by Scott Roberts
                          8 October 2012, 3:25pm

                          Ahead of next month’s referendum on whether to ban same-sex marriage in the US state of Maryland, opponents have produced a new campaign video that has been shown on state television.

                          Vote on Iowa Justice Seen as Test for Gay Marriage

                          by Ryan J. Foley

                          Associated Press

                          Tuesday Oct 9, 2012

                          IOWA CITY, Iowa - Iowa Supreme Court Justice David Wiggins isn’t well known outside the legal community of his state, and even inside that group, isn’t particularly popular.

                          But the question of whether he should keep his job has become one of the most fiercely contested judicial issues on the Nov. 6 ballot because of what he symbolizes in the debate over gay marriage and the role of courts.

                          Getting To Yes On Gay Marriage, One Voter At A Time

                          by Michael May

                          Listen to the Story

                          All Things Considered

                          October 9, 2012

                          Rion Tucker is covering a lot of ground in his home state of Maine these days. The 20-year-old is a canvasser for Equality Maine, and he's been knocking on lots of doors in an effort to make sure that voters in his state pass a ballot initiative in November legalizing same-sex marriage.

                          Yvette Cooper: ‘Get on with legalising same-sex marriage’

                          by Scott Roberts
                          12 October 2012, 11:41am

                          Labour’s Shadow Home Secretary and Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities Yvette Cooper says

                          David Cameron needs to “show a bit of backbone” over the issue of equal marriage.

                          Video: Anti-equal marriage advert ‘Not about Equality’ airs in Washington

                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                          11 October 2012, 11:15pm

                          With the vote on equal marriage growing ever closer, anti-equal marriage groups have begun to show TV adverts in the state of Washington.

                          Rick Santorum: Equal marriage would destroy churches, families and ‘disintegrate’ marriage

                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                          11 October 2012, 3:25am

                          Ex-US Senator, Rick Santorum, has joined the campaign against equal marriage in the state of Washington, and has said that if it became a reality, churches and families would be destroyed.

                          Wash. Group Opposed to Gay Marriage Releases TV Ads

                          by Rachel La Corte

                          Associated Press

                          Friday Oct 12, 2012

                          OLYMPIA, Wash. - The group fighting to overturn Washington’s gay marriage law started running its first TV ads in the state on Thursday.

                          Former SNP leader says equal marriage is a step towards ‘fascism’

                          by Scott Roberts
                          15 October 2012, 10:54am

                          The former leader of the Scottish National Party Gordon Wilson has once again criticised the leadership of the SNP for supporting equal marriage.

                          US: Companies confirm support for equal marriage in Washington, in full page newspaper advert

                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                          14 October 2012, 11:36pm

                          A large number of Washington-based companies have confirmed their support for Referendum 74, the equal marriage bill, which will be voted on next month in the state, by signing up to a newspaper advert.

                          At 0-32, Gay-Marriage Forces Seek 1st Win at Polls

                          by David Crary

                          Associated Press

                          Monday Oct 15, 2012

                          BOWIE, Md. - Irene Huskens has the wedding venue picked out: a charming bed-and-breakfast in southern Maryland. But the wedding is no sure thing.

                          October 15, 2012 1:33PM

                          Will Catholic Voters Support LGBT Rights in Washington State?

                          Post by Joanna Brooks

                          This fall, voters in the state of Washington may be among the first in the nation to support marriage equality for LGBT people by popular referendum. Polls suggest that Referendum 74 has an edge among Washington voters. Then again, four years ago in California, polls predicted Proposition 8 was headed for defeat. I spoke today with Kathy Morefield, one of the founders of Washington Catholics for Marriage Equality, to get a sense for the role of faith in the campaign.

                          Out Female Minn. Basketball Player Speaks Against State’s Marriage Amendment

                          by Jon Krawczynski

                          Associated Press

                          Tuesday Oct 16, 2012

                          MINNEAPOLIS - Seimone Augustus has always preferred to stay out of the public eye even as her basketball career has taken her to the heights of an Olympic gold medal and a WNBA championship.

                          NY appeals court nixes Defense of Marriage Act

                          by Larry Neumeister

                          Associated Press

                          Thursday Oct 18, 2012

                          NEW YORK - A divided federal appeals court in Manhattan struck down the Defense of Marriage Act Thursday as unconstitutional, joining an appeals court in Boston in rejecting the law that defines marriage as between a man and a woman. The Supreme Court is expected to take up the case in the next year.

                          Most U.S. Catholics Back Marriage Equality, But Knights of Columbus Pour Millions into Opposition

                          By Peter Montgomery

                          Quick, what organization was founded to support justice for immigrants, boasts nearly two million (all-male) members, and loves a good parade? The Knights of Columbus still support immigrants’ rights, but those sober-faced men marching down Main Street in full parade regalia are also part of an organization that was the single largest donor in support of California’s Proposition 8.

                          This venerable fraternal order has taken up the anti-equality baton in a big, flamboyant way.

                          Marriage Law Likely Headed To Supreme Court

                          by Nina Totenberg

                          Listen to the Story

                          All Things Considered

                          [4 min 3 sec]

                          October 19, 2012

                          A federal appeals court ruling on Thursday has catapulted a New York case to the head of the line, as the Supreme Court considers which of many cases it should use to decide whether the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) is constitutional.

                          For more than a year, the lower courts have been issuing decisions striking down DOMA, declaring the law's provisions to be unconstitutional discrimination. The statute defines marriage as being only between a man and a woman, meaning that the federal government is barred from recognizing same-sex marriages even when they are legal and recognized by state law.

                          US: Same-sex marriage scam angers former couple who thought they were married

                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                          20 October 2012, 11:56pm

                          A Florida man has spoken out about his anger at being issued an invalid marriage license by an Iowa courthouse, and says his case represents wider problems faced by gay couples who cannot marry in their home states.

                          France Delays Debate on Gay Marriage

                          Associated Press

                          Monday Oct 22, 2012

                          PARIS - France is delaying debate on a draft law authorizing gay marriage, as the government grapples with increasingly vocal opposition to the idea.

                          US: Top New York court rejects appeal against equal marriage law

                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                          23 October 2012, 11:57pm

                          Governor Cuomo said Tuesday's decision secured equal marriage "for generations to come"

                          On Tuesday, the New York Court of Appeals refused to hear a challenge against the 2011 law which legalised equal marriage in the state.

                          NYC’s Bloomberg: $500K to Gay Marriage Campaigns

                          by Jennifer Peltz

                          Associated Press

                          Tuesday Oct 23, 2012

                          NEW YORK - Mayor Michael Bloomberg is poised to spend $500,000 of his personal fortune on gay marriage campaigns in Maine, Minnesota and Washington state, he said Monday, following up on a major political spending push the billionaire businessman-turned-politician announced last week.

                          US: Equal marriage opponent leader downplays ‘deserving of death’ comment by pastor

                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                          25 October 2012, 12:07am

                          The leader of the group in opposition to equal marriage becoming legal in the state of Maryland, downplayed a pastor’s reading from a scripture which said gay people were “deserving of death”.

                          Video: Google promotes equal marriage video ahead of ballots

                          by Scott Roberts
                          26 October 2012, 7:44pm

                          Google is raising awareness of the equal marriage public ballots that are due to take place in Maine, Maryland, Minnesota and Washington next month with a new campaign video featuring its staff.

                          DOJ asks Supreme Court to prioritize Windsor’s DOMA challenge

                          By Chris Johnson
                          Washington Blade

                          The Obama administration is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to make the case of an 83-year-old New York lesbian who had to pay $363,000 in estate taxes its highest priority among the pending lawsuits challenging the Defense of Marriage Act.

                          In an 11-page supplemental brief filed on Friday, U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli writes that the case of Windsor v. United States — which recently led the U.S. Second Circuit Court of Appeals to conclude DOMA is unconstitutional — should take precedence among other pending lawsuits challenging the anti-gay law.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 5, 2013

                            We Win the Jackpot! Maryland, Maine, Iowa, Washington State, Minnesota

                            by Steve Weinstein

                            EDGE Editor-In-Chief

                            Wednesday Nov 7, 2012

                            If tonight proves anything, it’s that American voters have definitely, decidedly and determinedly rejected the religious right on the subject of same-sex marriage.

                            Adding to the big victory in Maine, where voters reversed themselves and approved same-sex marriage was the vote in Maryland.

                            Preaching to the ‘Moveable Middle’: Bishop Gene Robinson on Marriage Equality and the Election

                            An interview with Bishop Gene Robinson

                            By Candace Chellew-Hodge

                            When Gene Robinson became the Episcopal Bishop of New Hampshire in 2003, he wore a bulletproof vest under his vestments during his ordination service. Robinson was the first openly gay person to be elected as a bishop within the Episcopal Church, and his ordination became a touchstone in the battle for equal rights for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people within both the Church and larger society.

                            France unveils same-sex marriage bill

                            by Scott Roberts
                            7 November 2012, 4:16pm

                            French President Francois Hollande’s government has approved a bill to legalise equal marriage and allow gay couples to adopt.

                            Spanish court protects equal marriage law

                            by Scott Roberts
                            6 November 2012, 7:52pm

                            Spain’s Constitutional Court has upheld the country’s seven-year-long equal marriage law.

                            Civil partnership defeat for Slovakia

                            by Scott Roberts
                            6 November 2012, 4:59pm

                            Lawmakers in Slovakia, an EU member state, have rejected plans by the country’s opposition party to legalise civil partnerships for gay couples.

                            Gay-Marriage Backers End Losing Streak, Look Ahead

                            by David Crary

                            Associated Press

                            Thursday Nov 8, 2012

                            NEW YORK - For years, foes of same-sex marriage had a potent talking point: They’d won every time the issue went to a popular vote. That winning streak has now been shattered in a multi-state electoral sweep by gay marriage supporters - a historic tipping point likely to influence other states and possibly even the Supreme Court.

                            Vatican Digs In After Gay Marriage Advances

                            by Nicole Winfield

                            Associated Press

                            Saturday Nov 10, 2012

                            VATICAN CITY -- The Vatican is digging in after gay marriage initiatives scored big wins this week in the U.S. and Europe, vowing to never stop insisting that marriage can only be between a man and a woman.

                            Liberia: Christians and Muslims unite to campaign against equal marriage

                            by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                            11 November 2012, 1:49am

                            Several hundred people from the Christian and Muslim faiths, and from civil society organisations, gathered in Monrovia, Liberia to mark the start of a campaign to press the government into banning equal marriage.

                            [Called Out Editors’ Note – We pass on some articles just to show the violence of the language being used against us.  This is one such article.]

                            Video: Tony Perkins: Same-sex marriage is tearing America apart

                            by Scott Roberts
                            9 November 2012, 10:59pm

                            The firebrand media opponents of gay rights have been taking to the airwaves to denounce Tuesday’s historic equal marriage victories in several US states.

                            Analysis: A new dawn for LGBT America

                            by Scott Roberts
                            8 November 2012, 9:40pm

                            After an extraordinary US election result with voters in three states passing equal marriage rights for gay couples, Scott Roberts sums up the highlights of an incredible week for America.

                            Study: Same-sex weddings in three US states could increase spending by $166 million

                            by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                            12 November 2012, 7:56pm

                            A US think-tank has predicted that, as a result of the three new states which legalised equal marriage last week, large amounts of new spending will be generated.

                            Same-sex unions gain support in U.S. elections

                            A UMNS Report
                            By Kathy L. Gilbert*

                            3:00 P.M. ET Nov. 16, 2012

                            Maine, Maryland and Washington approved same sex marriage at the ballot box. Minnesota reject an amendment that would have defined marriage as only between a man and a woman. UMNS photo illustrations by Kathleen Barry. View in Photo Gallery

                            United Methodists have been grappling with acceptance of same-sex marriage for decades and many United Methodists were on both sides of the issue in the voting booth Nov. 6 as the vote in four states indicated support for same-sex unions.

                            Some Minn. Lawmakers Face Gay Marriage Conflict

                            Associated Press

                            Wednesday Nov 14, 2012

                            ST. PAUL, Minn. - More valuable than any poll, Minnesota lawmakers got a strong pulse of their constituents this week on gay marriage through district-by-district, town-by-town results of a vote that rejected a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

                            It will give some legislators cover and others concern should new legislative fronts open in the gay rights debate, including an all-out push for legalization of gay marriage.

                            Uruguay Congress Considers Same-Sex Marriage Law

                            by Pablo Fernandez

                            Associated Press

                            Thursday Nov 15, 2012

                            MONTEVIDEO, Uruguay - Uruguay’s congress is considering a gay marriage law that would give same-sex couples all the same rights and responsibilities of heterosexual married couples.

                            The country already has a civil unions law and has stood out in Latin America lately for legalizing abortion and planning to sell government-grown marijuana to any citizen who wants it.

                            Attorney Boies Discusses Prop 8 options

                            by Chris Carson

                            Bay Area Reporter

                            Saturday Nov 17, 2012

                            The excitement of the presidential election is passed; it is time for Washington, D.C. to get back to work. At the top of the schedule is a conference of the Supreme Court justices on November 30, where they will discuss whether to take cases involving the Defense of Marriage Act and the federal challenge to Proposition 8.

                            The justices had indicated they would consider the marriage cases next week, but on Tuesday said that they would be on the conference schedule at the end of the month.

                            Anti-Gay Marriage Marchers Take to French Streets

                            Associated Press

                            Monday Nov 19, 2012

                            PARIS - Groups opposed to President Francois Hollande’s plans to legalize gay marriage and gay adoptions took to the streets Saturday across France.

                            Hollande said he would enact his "marriage for everyone" plan within a year of coming to power in May, but vocal opposition from religious leaders, some politicians and parts of rural France has divided the country.

                            No Father, The Gay Sky Isn’t Falling

                            By Jay Michaelson

                            If we’re going to legalize alcohol, why not legalize crack cocaine?

                            If boxing is a legal sport, why not fights to the death with chainsaws?

                            And if same-sex marriage is recognized by law, why not polygamy and polyandry?

                            This is the desperate reasoning one hears from Catholic Church spokesmen [sic] these days, affirming the Vatican’s staunch opposition to civil same-sex marriage. Quoth Fr. Federico Lombardi, Director of the Vatican Television Centre (if we watch television, why not also visit strip clubs?):

                            It is a question of admitting that a husband and a wife are publicly recognized as such; and that children w

                            (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 8, 2013

                              David Cameron: We haven’t made it clear enough that churches won’t be forced to marry gay couples

                              by PinkNews.co.uk Staff Writer
                              7 January 2013, 11:28am

                              David Cameron has reaffirmed his commitment to same-sex marriage but said that the Government hasn’t communicated the changes very well to those who fear changes being imposed on churches.

                              Primate of Kenya warns Church of England against ordaining gay bishops

                              by Scott Roberts
                              7 January 2013, 11:11am

                              The leader of a global group of traditional Anglicans in Kenya has condemned the Church of England for dropping its prohibition on gay clergy becoming bishops, providing they are in celibate or in celibate civil partne

                              Mario Monti: Decision on Italian marriage equality should be made by parliament

                              by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                              6 January 2013, 4:38pm

                              The Italian Premier, Mario Monti, who is backed by the Vatican for his re-election bid, has said that gay rights issues, including marriage equality, should be decided by parliament, not his governement, if he is successful.

                              Chile: Marriage equality becomes a key issue in presidential debates

                              by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                              6 January 2013, 1:11am

                              The issue of marriage equality became majorly divisive during the first televised debate between two potential presidential nominees for the Chilean Christian Democrat party.

                              France: A majority of French people would like a referendum on equal marriage

                              by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                              5 January 2013, 1:17am

                              A new survey has revealed that more than two thirds of French people would like a referendum on marriage equality and adoption rights for same-sex couples.

                              Italy’s Prime Minister: Gay Marriage Up to Parliament

                              Associated Press

                              Monday Jan 7, 2013

                              Italian Premier Mario Monti, who is being backed by the Vatican in his bid for re-election, says gay rights issues - including gay marriage -should be decided by Parliament, not his government if he wins.

                              Court to Hear 2 Days of Arguments on Gay Marriage

                              Associated Press

                              Monday Jan 7, 2013

                              The Supreme Court says it will hear two days’ worth of arguments over laws affecting gay marriage during the last week of March.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 16, 2013

                                National Cathedral to Perform Same-Sex Weddings

                                by Brett Zongker

                                Associated Press

                                Wednesday Jan 9, 2013

                                The Washington National Cathedral, where the nation gathers to mourn tragedies and celebrate new presidents, will soon begin performing same-sex marriages.

                                US: Florida Senate to consider gay ‘domestic partnership’ bill

                                by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                10 January 2013, 12:40am

                                A bill which would allow gay couples to enter into “domestic partnerships,” with a view to extending some marital rights to same-sex couples, was filed in the Florida Senate on Wednesday.

                                Bishop supports Illinois same-sex bill

                                by Heather Hahn

                                A UMNS Report

                                By Heather Hahn*

                                United Methodist Bishop Sally Dyck speaks about the importance of “holy conversation” about contentious issues facing The United Methodist Church during its pre-General Conference news briefing in January 2012 at the Tampa Convention Center in Florida. A UMNS photo by Mike DuBose.

                                “I believe in the institution of marriage as the source of emotional and legal stability and security for families and communities,” wrote Dyck, whose area encompasses the Northern Illinois Annual (regional) Conference.

                                More House Republicans Support DOMA Repeal

                                by Sergio N. Candido

                                South Florida Gay News

                                Friday Jan 11, 2013

                                Another Republican joins the ranks of those supporting a bill to repeal the Defense of Marriage Act.

                                Rep. Charles Bass of New Hampshire has just become the second House Republican within the last week to co-sponsor the Respect for Marriage Act, a bill that will be reintroduced in the House next year, according to the Advocate.

                                Ill. GOP Chair Reiterates Support for Same-Sex Marriage

                                by Jason St. Amand

                                Web Producer / Staff Writer

                                Friday Jan 11, 2013

                                The chairman of Illinois’ Republican Party has been under fire from fellow GOPers after he announced he supports marriage equality and urged the state’s conservative lawmakers to do the same. The surprising revelation has some calling for his resignation, Illinois radio station WBEZ 91.5 reports.

                                Poll: Strong support across Europe for equal marriage and adoption – but France divided

                                by Scott Roberts
                                11 January 2013, 12:52pm

                                A majority of people in several European countries believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to get married and adopt children, but in France the public is divided, according to YouGov.

                                Vatican Steps Up Anti Same-Sex Marriage Rhetoric

                                by Nicole Winfield

                                Associated Press

                                Sunday Jan 13, 2013

                                The Vatican is pressing its opposition to gay marriage, insisting Saturday that children should grow up with a father and a mother after Italy’s high court upheld a lower court ruling and granted custody of a child to his gay mother.

                                In its decision Friday, the Court of Cassation said there was no "scientific certainty or experience-based data" to support the father’s claims that the child’s development was being damaged by living with his mother and her female partner. Such an argument was "mere prejudice," the court said.

                                Church of England considering in-church blessings for ‘celibate’ gay couples

                                by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                14 January 2013, 1:40pm

                                Reports have suggested that the Church of England plans to consider allowing gay couples to have their civil partnerships blessed in churches.

                                Monday, January 14, 2013 Social Issues

                                Wendell Berry expounds on gay marriage

                                A Kentucky farmer, essayist, writer and activist, sometimes described as a modern-day Thoreau, criticizes theological strategies used to marginalize gays.

                                By Bob Allen

                                Christian opponents to same-sex marriage want the government to treat homosexuals as a special category of persons subject to discrimination, similar to the way that African-Americans and women were categorized in the past, cultural and economic critic Wendell Berry told Baptist ministers in Kentucky Jan. 11.

                                New Coalition to Push for Gay Marriage in RI

                                Associated Press

                                Monday Jan 14, 2013

                                Survey: Three in five people in Wales support equal marriage

                                by Staff Writer, PinkNews.co.uk
                                14 January 2013, 7:18pm

                                A major poll conducted by YouGov for Stonewall Cymru has revealed that three in five people in Wales support government plans to extend civil marriage to same-sex couples.

                                Leading UK evangelist: The bible is inclusive and gay relationships are not sinful

                                by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                15 January 2013, 1:49pm

                                Steve Chalke said he had reevaluated his biblical interpretation of homosexuality (Image: Twitter)

                                A leading evangelical has softened his views on homosexuality, questioning whether Christians could create a “nurturing” and “supportive” environment for gay people.

                                US: Activists apply for unattainable marriage licenses in Southern states to push for equality

                                by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                15 January 2013, 5:58am

                                Gay couples in two North Carolina cities lined up at government counters to ask for marriage licenses they knew would be denied, in an effort to push the US South towards marriage equality, despite opposition being strong.

                                Smallest State is Big Battleground on Gay Marriage

                                by David Klepper

                                Associated Press

                                Tuesday Jan 15, 2013

                                Supporters of same-sex marriage rights plan to assemble at the Rhode Island Statehouse to urge lawmakers to make the smallest state the 10th to allow gay and lesbian couples to wed - and the last to do so in New England.

                                House Speaker Gordon Fox has called a vote on gay marriage legislation in his chamber by month’s end, making Rhode Island the latest state to address an issue whose supporters see things swinging their way after last November’s election.

                                Rhode Island State House prepares for equal marraige vote

                                by Corinne Pinfold
                                15 January 2013, 7:16pm

                                The diminutive American state of Rhode Island is set to stage a debate on whether to legalise equal marriage for same-sex couples, with a vote to be held by the House of Representatives later this month.

                                Video: Hundreds protest against Rhode Island hearings on equal marriage

                                by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                16 January 2013, 3:56pm

                                As Rhode Island held hearings on whether to legalise equal marriage for same-sex couples, hundreds of demonstrators turned out to protest against the potential change at hearings.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Feb 9, 2013

                                  Austin church will offer Episcopal same-sex blessing

                                  By Juan Castillo

                                  American-Statesman Staff

                                  St. David’s Episcopal Church in Austin will bless a same-sex couple next month, possibly becoming the first Episcopal church in Texas to perform the groundbreaking liturgical rite.

                                  Located downtown on East Eighth Street, St. David’s is the largest Episcopal church in Austin, and gays and lesbians make up what its rector, the Rev. David Boyd, called a significant number of the church’s roughly 2,500 parishioners.

                                  Same-Sex Military Couples Struggle for Recognition

                                  by Michael Biesecker

                                  Associated Press

                                  Sunday Jan 20, 2013

                                  Sgt. Karen Alexander fought for her country in Iraq, but back home she often feels the U.S. Army is fighting against her.

                                  Married to another female soldier with a 4-year-old son, Alexander is denied the same housing allowance and other family-friendly benefits she would be entitled to if married to a man. As far as Uncle Sam is concerned, she’s still single.

                                  Same-sex couples seek Va. marriage licenses

                                  January 17, 2013 | icon-comment5 Comments

                                  More than a dozen same-sex couples from across the South gathered outside the Arlington County Courthouse on Thursday to apply for marriage licenses.

                                  Gays and lesbians from Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Tennessee and North and South Carolina submitted applications to Arlington Circuit Court Clerk Paul Ferguson in the complex’s plaza. A constitutional amendment that Virginia voters approved in 2006 defines marriage as between a man and a woman in the commonwealth, but those who participated in the action described their decision to take part as symbolic.

                                  Taiwan: Gay couple withdraw lawsuit against the state for ban on equal marriage

                                  by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                  23 January 2013, 2:13am

                                  A gay couple in Taiwan who filed a lawsuit last year after being rejected in their application for marriage, have said they will withdraw their case tomorrow.

                                  US: Gay civil unions bill passes first vote in Colorado

                                  by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                  24 January 2013, 1:57am

                                  On Wednesday, a bill to legalise civil unions in the US state of Colorado passed its first vote, bring the state one step closer to allowing same-sex unions.

                                  Same-sex marriage bill introduced in House of Commons

                                  by Scott Roberts
                                  24 January 2013, 11:37am

                                  The government’s Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill for England and Wales has officially been introduced in the House of Commons by Culture Secretary Maria Miller.

                                  Poland Rejects Draft Laws for Unmarried Couples

                                  Associated Press

                                  Friday Jan 25, 2013

                                  Poland’s lawmakers have rejected three separate draft laws that were intended to give legal rights to unmarried couples, including same-sex ones.

                                  Britain Introduces Same-Sex Marriage Bill

                                  Associated Press

                                  Friday Jan 25, 2013

                                  The British government published a bill to legalize same-sex marriage Friday, and said lawmakers will get their first vote on it in Parliament next month.

                                  The Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill extends marriage to gay couples but excludes clergy in the Church of England - the country’s official faith - from having to carry out the ceremonies.

                                  New Mexico Legislature to Vote on Gay Marriage Bill

                                  by Sergio N. Candido

                                  South Florida Gay News

                                  Saturday Jan 26, 2013

                                  The New Mexico state legislature is set to hear a bill that could make it legal for gay couples to marry in the state.

                                  Peter Tatchell: The equal marriage bill is commendable, but flawed

                                  by Peter Tatchell
                                  26 January 2013, 11:42am

                                  While legalising marriage equality is welcome and commendable, the government’s refusal to end discrimination against straight couples in civil partnership law is flawed and wrong. Opposite-sex couples are legally prohibited from having a civil partnership and for no rational reason David Cameron intends to keep it that way.

                                  Passage of Marriage Bill in Rhode Island Hinges on Religious Exemptions

                                  by Michelle Smith

                                  Associated Press

                                  Saturday Jan 26, 2013

                                  The fate of gay marriage legislation in Rhode Island could hinge on the exemptions it affords religious groups that oppose it, the State Senate president said Friday, a day after the House overwhelmingly passed the bill.

                                  Teresa Paiva Weed said she remains opposed to the bill and has heard that the sticking point for many senators is on how broad of a religious exemption is included in the only New England state that doesn’t allow same-sex marriage.

                                  French Gay Marriage Bill Presented to Parliament

                                  Associated Press

                                  Tuesday Jan 29, 2013

                                  The French government has presented a divisive plan to legalize gay marriage and adoption to Parliament for debate.

                                  HRC-Led Business Coalition Supports DOMA Repeal

                                  by Sergio N. Candido

                                  South Florida Gay News

                                  Tuesday Jan 29, 2013

                                  The Human Rights Campaign now counts with a new group of allies: a business coalition made up of companies like Marriott, eBay, and Armani Exchange.

                                  The group, comprised of Fortune 500 and brand name companies, has vowed to stand behind the Respect for Marriage Act, a bill which repeals the Defense of Marriage Act and recognizes all marriages for legal purposes, according to the HRC.

                                  Sweden: Married Ugandan men victims of ‘lottery’ asylum system

                                  by Corinne Pinfold
                                  29 January 2013, 6:05pm

                                  Two Ugandan men living in Sweden, who claim they are the first gay couple from their country to get married, may be separated once again after a lucky reunion following a decision by the Swedish Migration Board.

                                  Zimbabwe: New draft constitution includes equal marriage ban

                                  by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                  29 January 2013, 5:12pm

                                  A new Zimbabwean draft constitution includes a clause banning equal marriage for gay couples, reports suggest.

                                  British Catholics Send One Million Anti-Gay Marriage Postcards to Parliament

                                  by Sergio N. Candido

                                  South Florida Gay News

                                  Wednesday Jan 30, 2013

                                  British Archbishop Peter Smith said he has distributed one million anti-gay postcards for churchgoers to mail to parliament as part of last resource effort to gain momentum against the bill.

                                  Young gay New Zealanders say equal marriage would reduce youth suicides

                                  by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                  30 January 2013, 4:30pm

                                  Young gay men have made submissions to the New Zealand select committee dealing with the equal marriage bill, to say that legalising equal marriage would reduce the number of youth suicides.

                                  French Gay Marriage Plans Stir Parenthood Debate

                                  by Lori Hinnant

                                  Associated Press

                                  Thursday Jan 31, 2013

                                  The French are all for sex and all for family - so long as you’re having sex to create one. Anything dealing with assisted reproduction makes a sizable portion of them uncomfortable, as the president’s plans to legalize gay marriage have unexpectedly exposed.

                                  The debate over whether society and science are overreaching when it comes to parenthood has sent thousands into the streets, turned the bridges over the Seine into billboards and prompted charges that women’s bodies will soon be for rent in a society that still has surprisingly deep conservative roots.

                                  Reuters: Major Anti-Gay Marriage Group in Financial Straits

                                  by Jason St. Amand

                                  Web Producer / Staff Writer

                                  Friday Feb 1, 2013

                                  A recent Reuters article exposes the financial cracks in ProtectMarriage.com, an anti-marriage equality group that is defending Proposition 8 before the Supreme Court. According to the news agency, the organization is in deep debt and is struggling to raise money to fight that case and to pay off other debts it has accumulated.

                                  ProtectMarriage.com "showed a $2 million deficit in its legal fund at the end of 2011, the third year in a row that expenses exceeded donations, federal tax records show," the article says. ProjectMarriage.com has been spearheading the court fight to overturn a federal appeals court judge who ruled that the referendum, passed by California voters in 2008 to ban same-sex marriages in California, was not valid.

                                  Polish MP opposes equal marriage because ‘gays are no use whatsoever to society’

                                  by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                  1 February 2013, 1:40pm

                                  An Member of Parliament for the right-wing Polish opposition party has made homophobic remarks in a speech at a recent debate around the legalisation of equal marriage in the country.

                                  Wyoming fails to pass domestic partnership rights for gay couples

                                  by Scott Roberts
                                  31 January 2013, 3:59pm

                                  A bill to extend domestic partnership rights to gay couples in the US state of Wyoming has been defeated.

                                  The Republican-controlled house in Cheyenne voted down a bill on Wednesday night that would have given same-sex couples the same legal rights as heterosexuals.

                                  LGBT people in French Polynesia follow French equal marriage and adoption debates

                                  by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                  30 January 2013, 11:30pm

                                  Now that the debate on France’s equal marriage and adoption law has gone before parliament, French Polynesia has begun watching the early stages closely.

                                  French General Assembly votes to make same-sex marriage legal

                                  by PinkNews.co.uk Staff Writer
                                  2 February 2013, 12:14pm

                                  The French National Assembly, the lower house of France’s Parliament has voted in favour of making same-sex marriage legal.

                                  US: Mayor holds ‘wedding’ for 13 gay couples to protest against proposed equal marriage ban

                                  by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                  1 February 2013, 2:23pm

                                  The mayor of a city in the US state of Indiana has conducted a symbolic wedding for over a dozen gay and lesbian couples in protest to a proposed ban on civil unions and equal marriage.

                                  Illinois: Gay Marriage Vote Very Likely

                                  Associated Press

                                  Tuesday Feb 5, 2013

                                  Legislation legalizing same-sex marriage in Illinois is expected to come up in a Senate committee meeting Tuesday and could see a floor vote on Valentine’s Day.

                                  British Lawmakers Vote in Favor of Gay Marriage

                                  by Sylvia Hui

                                  Associated Press

                                  Tuesday Feb 5, 2013

                                  British lawmakers on Tuesday voted overwhelmingly in favor of a bill to legalize same-sex marriage championed by Prime Minister David Cameron, despite stronger-than-expected opposition from within his Conservative Party.

                                  In a first House of Commons vote, lawmakers voted 400 to 175 in support of the legislation. There was strong support from the left-leaning Labour Party and Liberal Democrats party, but many Conservatives rejected the proposals.

                                  Families First to Grant Domestic Partnerships to Florida Citizens

                                  by Steffany Skelley Gilmer

                                  EDGE Contributor

                                  Wednesday Feb 6, 2013

                                  LGBT citizens may soon find Florida to be a friendlier state, thanks to State Senator Eleanor Sobel (D). On January 9, Sobel filed a statewide bill appropriately nicknamed the "Families First" bill that would allow Florida citizens to enter into domestic partnerships.

                                  British House of Commons Approves Gay Marriage

                                  Luke Macgregor/Reuters

                                  By JOHN F. BURNS and ALAN COWELL
                                  Published: February 5, 2013

                                  LONDON — The House of Commons voted overwhelmingly on Tuesday to approve a bill legalizing same-sex marriage in Britain, indicating that the bill is assured of passage as it moves through further legislative stages.

                                  Alice Arnold: I will marry Clare Balding rather than ‘marrying’ her only in inverted commas

                                  by Corinne Pinfold
                                  6 February 2013, 11:21pm

                                  Former Radio 4 presenter Alice Arnold has spoken of her plans to marry her civil partner, TV presenter and journalist Clare Balding, in the wake of the House of Commons vote on equal marriage.

                                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 18, 2013

                                    MN Gov Dayton Endorses Gay Marriage in State of State Address 2-6-2013

                                    While most of Dayton’s speech focused on the budget, his brief mention of support for same-sex marriage marked a step forward for that issue’s prospects at the Capitol. Dayton has previously supported same-sex marriage but had been reluctant to endorse a planned legislative push on the issue in 2013.

                                    Dayton stopped short of definitively demanding a gay marriage bill on his desk this year. But after the speech, Senate Majority Leader Tom Bakk — who also had been tentative about a gay marriage push in the Legislature this year — said a bill could start moving at the Capitol in April, after lawmakers finish the budget. Bakk also said he would vote to legalize gay marriage if it gets to the Senate floor.

                                    Freedom to Marry pledges $2 million for state marriage campaigns

                                    February 7, 2013

                                    By Michael K. Lavers on February 7, 2013

                                    Freedom to Marry on Thursday announced it hopes to raise $2 million for various state same-sex marriage campaigns around the country this year.

                                    The group said it will invest an initial $800,000 through the “Win More States Fund” to groups in Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Minnesota, New Jersey and Rhode Island fighting to allow gays and lesbians to tie knot.

                                    Catholic Bishop of Shrewsbury warns that equal marriage supporters are ‘on wrong side of eternity’

                                    by Corinne Pinfold
                                    11 February 2013, 12:42pm

                                    The Right Reverend Mark Davies, Bishop of Shrewsbury, has once again preached an attack on the government’s equal marriage bill, less than a week after it was supported by MPs in the House of Commons.

                                    House of Lords may stage an anti-equal marriage rebellion

                                    by Corinne Pinfold
                                    11 February 2013, 12:33pm

                                    More than half the Conservatives in the House of Lords are planning to vote against the same-sex marriage bill alongside “dozens” of Labour and Liberal Democrat peers, according to the Telegraph.

                                    [Called Out Editors’ note – Really?  What age specifically?  We’re past our teens by more than a little bit and we haven’t grown out of it yet.]

                                    Tory MP: Same-sex marriage will damage youth who will grow out of a ‘normal gay phase’

                                    by PinkNews.co.uk Staff Writer
                                    10 February 2013, 2:56pm

                                    Conservative MP for Tonbridge and Malling, Sir John Stanley, has claimed that homosexuality is a ‘normal phase’ for youngsters before become heterosexual in later life.

                                    Anti-gay group targets National Cathedral over gay marriage

                                    February 11, 2013

                                    By Lou Chibbaro Jr. on February 11, 2013

                                    An organization started by religious right figure Ralph Reed is circulating an online petition demanding that the federal government halt all “current or future” funds for the Washington National Cathedral because of its recent decision to perform same-sex weddings.

                                    In a statement released on Friday, the Faith and Freedom Coalition noted that in recent years the National Cathedral has received a $700,000 grant from the National Park Service’s “Save America’s Treasure’s” program, which funds efforts to preserve and maintain historic buildings.

                                    “With this policy change, taxpayers are being asked to subsidize gay marriage ceremonies for a church that can readily access millions of their own,” the group said in its statement.

                                    Marriage equality supporters seek to repeal Oregon’s ban on gay marriage

                                    By JONATHAN J. COOPER
                                    Associated Press

                                    SALEM, Ore. — Supporters of same-sex marriage said Monday they’re aiming at a vote next year to reverse Oregon’s ban on gay marriage, which was approved in 2004.

                                    The state’s leading gay-rights group, Basic Rights Oregon, said it’s formed a campaign organization to get a constitutional amendment on the November 2014 ballot. The group will need to collect at least 116,000 valid signatures.

                                    French Assembly Passes Gay Marriage, Adoption Bill

                                    Associated Press

                                    Tuesday Feb 12, 2013

                                    France’s lower house of parliament on Tuesday approved a sweeping bill to legalize gay marriage and allow same-sex couples to adopt children, handing a major legislative victory to President Francois Hollande’s Socialists on a divisive social issue.

                                    Gay Marriage Backers Plan Oregon Vote in ’14 to Reverse Ban

                                    by Jonathan J. Cooper

                                    Associated Press

                                    Tuesday Feb 12, 2013

                                    Supporters of same-sex marriage said Monday they’re aiming at a vote next year to reverse Oregon’s ban on gay marriage, which was approved in 2004.

                                    The state’s leading gay-rights group, Basic Rights Oregon, said it has formed a campaign organization to get a constitutional amendment on the November 2014 ballot. The group will need to collect at least 116,000 valid signatures.

                                    French National Assembly approves equal marriage bill

                                    by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                    12 February 2013, 4:20pm

                                    The French National Assembly approved the country's equal marriage bill (Image: James Cridland)

                                    France took a step closer to legalising equal marriage and adoptions for same sex couples, as its National Assembly approved a bill to do so, during its second reading today.

                                    Update: Cincinnati teacher sacked for refusing to recant statement supporting equal marriage

                                    by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                    11 February 2013, 5:06pm

                                    The Assistant Principal at a Catholic school in Cincinnati has been sacked, for refusing to recant statements he made in support of equal marriage for gay people.

                                    US: Mayor of Atlanta admits that he was ‘wrong’ to oppose equal marriage in the past

                                    by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                    13 February 2013, 4:29pm

                                    The Mayor of Atlanta, who recently announced he had changed his stance to support equal marriage, has said he feels he “was wrong” to have opposed equal marriage in the past, in favour of civil unions.

                                    Illinois Senate Passes Marriage Bill

                                    by Sara Burnett

                                    Associated Press

                                    Thursday Feb 14, 2013

                                    Illinois moved closer Thursday to becoming the 10th state in the nation where same-sex couples can legally wed, after the Senate voted to lift a ban on gay marriage.

                                    Associated Press reaffirms that gay married couples are ‘partners’ rather than ‘husbands’ and ‘wives’ in face of criticism

                                    by Corinne Pinfold
                                    15 February 2013, 5:44pm

                                    A spokesman for the Associated Press (AP), the foremost authority on journalistic style and standards, has reaffirmed that it will be sticking to guidelines published on 11 February that state reporters should “generally” not refer to same-sex married couples as “husbands” or “wives”.

                                    US: Illinois Senate passes equal marriage in Valentine’s Day vote

                                    by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                    14 February 2013, 9:23pm

                                    Updated 10:44pm - The Illinois Senate has approved a bill to legalise same-sex marriage – although it still has to pass the House before it becomes law.

                                    Thailand: Public hearings on civil unions begin

                                    by Corinne Pinfold
                                    13 February 2013, 7:01pm

                                    A series of public hearings held by a joint team of the Rights and Liberties Protection Department and the House committee on Legal Affairs, Justice and Human Rights - began in Thailand last week.

                                    Same-Sex Marriage/Civil Union Bills Filed In Legislature

                                    By Joey Palacios

                                    As some states across the U.S. approve same-sex marriage by voters or legislatures, many are asking when conservative Texas will move forward on the issue. Several lawmakers filed bills this week that can be seen at least symbolic victories of progress.

                                    In 2005, Texas voters approved a ban on same-sex partnerships, marriages and civil unions with 76 percent approving the ban. The resolution was known was Proposition II.  A couple years before that, in 2003, a bill by former state Sen. Jeff Wentworth of San Antonio passed the legislature altering the Texas Family Code limiting the union to one man and one woman; what was known as the Texas Defense of Marriage Act.

                                  • Affirmation: United Methodists
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 30, 2013

                                      Poll: 92% of Nigerians support proposed bill to criminalise same-sex marriage

                                      by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                      20 June 2013, 7:05pm

                                      The poll found that 92% of respondents agreed with the bill to ban equal marriage

                                      A new poll has found that 92% of Nigerians are in support of a proposed bill to make same-sex marriages punishable with 14 year prison sentences.

                                      US Supreme Court Justice says the court should not rule on ‘moral’ issues like equal marriage

                                      by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                      22 June 2013, 5:37pm

                                      Less than a week until the US Supreme Court is expected to make rulings in two key equal marriage cases, one of its justices has spoken out to say the court should not be ruling on such an issue.

                                      U.S. High Court Rulings Impact Same-Sex United Methodist Couples

                                      by Heather Hahn

                                      June 26, 2013

                                      A UMNS Report

                                      The full ramifications of the U.S. Supreme Court’s rulings Wednesday, June 26, on same-sex marriage still are being hashed out.

                                      But on one thing many United Methodists agree: The decisions will add fuel to a longtime denominational debate on how the church ministers to gays and lesbians.

                                      In the case Windsor v. United States, a 5-4 majority opinion by Justice Anthony Kennedy ruled Section 3 of the federal Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional, arguing that it is a deprivation of the equal liberty of persons as protected by the Fifth Amendment.

                                      DOMA, SCOTUS and You

                                      by Joey Reed

                                      June 26, 2013

                                      Today (June 26), the Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) declared unconstitutional sections of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA).

                                      You likely have an opinion.

                                      I do, too. I’d like our opinions to meet, have coffee, and learn from each other.

                                      Here’s mine. The ruling of the Supreme Court makes perfect sense if you understand that the Constitution is the operative document.

                                      The ruling of the Supreme Court makes no sense if you think that the Constitution is based on Scripture as the operative document.

                                      Same-Sex-Marriage Fight Shifts Back To States

                                      June 26, 2013 7:11 PM

                                      The dual victories the Supreme Court to gay-marriage supporters Wednesday seemed to temporarily shift the focus of the fight from Washington to the states.

                                      For instance, one of the more notable reactions to the Supreme Court decisions overturning the Defense of Marriage Act and upholding a lower court ruling that blocked California's Proposition 8 from taking effect came from the American Civil Liberties Union.

                                      After DOMA: What's Next For Gay Married Couples

                                      June 26, 201311:52 AM

                                      The Supreme Court's 5-4 decision Wednesday to is a monumental victory for advocates of same-sex marriage.

                                      But what happens now that the 1996 federal law that confines marriage to a man and a woman has been declared unconstitutional?

                                      Will federal benefits flow only to same-sex married couples living in states that recognize their unions?

                                      What about same-sex spouses who are legally married but living in states that ban such unions?

                                      How The End Of DOMA Will Affect Obamacare, Federal Employees

                                      by Joe Neel

                                      June 26, 2013 5:19 PM

                                      The Supreme Court's that the Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional will not only make a big difference in health benefits for some federal employees, it could also affect people who will be newly eligible for Obamacare beginning next year.

                                      For lower-income people seeking coverage under Obamacare, marriage may not provide a financial advantage, tax experts say.

                                      Once the dust settles and new policies can be drawn up, federal employees in same-sex marriages will be able to enroll their partners in the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan. The Obama administration has extended several benefits to gay employees in recent years, but was prohibited by DOMA from providing FEHBP coverage.

                                      Justice Kennedy At Center Of Gay Rights Decisions For A Decade

                                      June 26, 2013 2:33 PM

                                      Ten years ago, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down a Texas "" law that criminalized some sexual acts.

                                      Today, on the anniversary of that decision, the high court that defined marriage as between a man and a woman.

                                      At the center of those landmark decisions has been Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy, who wrote the court's majority opinions in both.

                                      Supreme Court Strikes Down the Defense of Marriage Act

                                      by Mark Sherman

                                      Associated Press

                                      Wednesday Jun 26, 2013

                                      In a major victory for gay rights, the Supreme Court on Wednesday struck down a provision of a federal law denying federal benefits to married gay couples and cleared the way for the resumption of same-sex marriage in California.

                                      The justices issued two 5-4 rulings in their final session of the term. One decision wiped away part of a federal anti-gay marriage law that has kept legally married same-sex couples from receiving tax, health and pension benefits.

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 16, 2013

                                        Federal Marriage Benefits? Not for Everyone

                                        by Stephen Ohlemacher

                                        Associated Press

                                        Sunday Jun 30, 2013

                                        Like other married couples, same-sex couples are about to learn that federal benefits for being married might not be all they’re cracked up to be.

                                        Social Security benefits for spouses can be generous, but only for couples with big disparities in their incomes. Taxes are a decidedly mixed bag, and there are still a lot of unanswered questions for the Internal Revenue Service.

                                        Many middle-income couples should get welcome tax breaks now that they can change their filing status from "single" to "married filing jointly." The biggest benefits will go to couples in which one spouse makes more money than the other.

                                        Tax Benefits and Penalties of Marriage

                                        Associated Press

                                        Sunday Jun 30, 2013

                                        The Supreme Court has struck down part of a law that denied federal benefits to same-sex couples who were married in states that recognize their unions. The tax benefits of being married, however, are a mixed bag.

                                        Prop 8 supporters accuse court of ‘lawlessness’ for allowing resume of same-sex weddings

                                        by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                        29 June 2013, 5:26pm

                                        Supporters of the now defunct Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriages in the US state of California, have claimed that the courts have acted in a “lawless” way, following the resume of same-sex weddings in the state.

                                        US: Court gives green light to allow same-sex weddings to resume immediately in California

                                        by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                        29 June 2013, 1:15am

                                        Same-sex couples wishing to marry in the US state of California have been pleasantly surprised, as a crucial stay has been lifted, meaning the state can immediately begin issuing marriage licenses to gay couples.

                                        Supreme Court rules on same-sex cases

                                        Rulings do not change UMC definition of marriage

                                        by Heather Hahn on July 01, 2013

                                        (UMNS) — The full ramifications of the U.S. Supreme Court’s rulings June 26 on same-sex marriage are being hashed out. But the rulings already are winning praise from some United Methodists even as they trouble others.

                                        Decisions will likely add fuel to a long-time denominational debate.

                                        On one thing many United Methodists agree: The decisions will likely add fuel to a long-time denominational debate on how the church ministers to gays and lesbians.

                                        Judge: Trial Possible on Mich. Gay Marriage Ban

                                        by Ed White

                                        Associated Press

                                        Tuesday Jul 2, 2013

                                        DETROIT -- A judge signaled Monday that a trial is possible to determine whether Michigan’s ban on gay marriage is constitutional, nearly nine years after voters approved it by a wide margin.

                                        U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman refused to dismiss a lawsuit filed by nurses Jayne Rowse and April DeBoer, who are challenging a law that bars them from adopting each other’s children as well as a 2004 constitutional amendment that defines marriage only as between a man and a woman.

                                        New Poll: Marriage Equality Support at Record High in Wake of SCOTUS Ruling

                                        by Jason St. Amand

                                        National News Editor

                                        Tuesday Jul 2, 2013

                                        According to a new USA Today poll conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates, a majority of Americans now support same-sex marriage - a record high, which comes after the Supreme Court’s landmark rulings on the Defense of Marriage Act and Proposition 8.

                                        "By an unprecedented 55 percent to 40 percent, Americans say marriages between same-sex couples should be recognized by law as valid, with the same rights of traditional marriage," USA Today writes. "That’s the highest level of support since Gallup began asking the question in 1996. Then, fewer than half that number, 27 percent, backed the idea."

                                      • Affirmation: United Methodists
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 22, 2013

                                          Same-Sex Ruling has Employers Tweaking Benefits

                                          by Sam Hananel

                                          Associated Press

                                          Friday Jul 5, 2013

                                          The Supreme Court’s landmark ruling on same-sex marriage has private employers around the country scrambling to make sure their employee benefit plans comply with the law.

                                          The impact of the decision striking down part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act is clear in the 13 states and the District of Columbia where gay marriage is currently legal, or soon will be: Same-sex married couples must be treated the same as other spouses under federal laws governing tax, health care, pensions and other federal benefits.

                                          ACLU Sues State of Montana Over Benefits for Gay Couples

                                          Associated Press

                                          Tuesday Jul 16, 2013

                                          A civil rights organization filed a new lawsuit against the state Monday on behalf of seven gay couples in an attempt to win for them the same benefits that married couples receive in Montana.

                                          The American Civil Liberties Union of Montana filed its amended complaint after the state Supreme Court rejected its first lawsuit in December for being too broad and not identifying specific laws that are discriminatory.

                                          Lawsuit Seeks to Overturn Ark. Gay Marriage Ban

                                          by Chuck Bartels

                                          Associated Press

                                          Tuesday Jul 16, 2013

                                          Three gay couples filed a federal lawsuit Monday that seeks to overturn a 2004 Arkansas ban on same-sex marriage.

                                          Two of the couples applied to get married in Pulaski County and were turned down. One couple was legally married in New York but "are treated as legal strangers in their home state of Arkansas," according to the lawsuit filed by attorney Jack Wagoner III of Little Rock.

                                          Equal marriage bill passes final House of Commons stage and will receive Royal Assent

                                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                          16 July 2013, 9:21pm

                                          The equal marriage bill for England and Wales has once again been passed in the House of Commons, and will soon will be given Royal Assent to become law.

                                          Britain Legalizes Gay Marriage

                                          Associated Press

                                          Wednesday Jul 17, 2013

                                          Britain on Wednesday legalized gay marriage after Queen Elizabeth II gave her royal stamp of approval, clearing the way for the first same-sex weddings next summer.

                                          Lawmakers cheered as House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said royal assent had been given - one day after the bill to legalize same-sex marriage in England and Wales cleared Parliament.

                                          The queen’s approval was a formality and is the last step necessary for a bill to become law.

                                          Gay Marriage Supporters Launch $2 Million Illinois Campaign

                                          Associated Press

                                          Wednesday Jul 17, 2013

                                          Gay-marriage supporters are launching a $2 million statewide campaign to approve same-sex marriage in Illinois.

                                          Illinois Unites for Marriage is a coalition representing gay rights, civil rights and political groups.

                                          Tory MP Mike Freer: If gay people pay the same contributions, their pension rights must be the same

                                          by Scott Roberts
                                          17 July 2013, 7:23pm

                                          Conservative MP Mike Freer raised the issue of pensions inequality during Tuesday’s same-sex marriage Commons debate and said it was right to settle the discrepancy “whatever the cost”.

                                          Gay Marriage: Britain, France in Surprise Contrast

                                          by Angela Charlton and Gregory Katz

                                          Associated Press

                                          Wednesday Jul 17, 2013

                                          The French like to make fun of the British, joking about their repressed ways in matters of the heart. But when it came time to debate same-sex marriage, it was France that betrayed a deep conservative streak in sometimes violent protests - while the British showed themselves to be modern and tolerant.

                                          With little fanfare or controversy, Britain announced Wednesday that Queen Elizabeth II - hardly a social radical - had signed into law a bill legalizing same-sex marriages in England and Wales. France has also legalized gay marriages, but only after a series of gigantic protests attracting families from the traditional heartland that revealed a deeply split society.

                                          Equality Network calls on Scotland to legalise equal marriage following England & Wales Royal Assent

                                          by Scott Roberts
                                          17 July 2013, 3:13pm

                                          Scottish campaigners have welcomed Wednesday’s Royal Assent of the same-sex marriage act for England and Wales, and are using it to redouble their efforts to achieve marriage equality in Scotland.

                                          Equal marriage bill for England and Wales given Royal Assent and is now law

                                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                          17 July 2013, 2:18pm

                                          The equal marriage bill for England and Wales was today given Royal Assent, and is now officially law.

                                          N.Y. official pushes feds to recognize same-sex marriages

                                          MICHAEL GORMLEY | Associated Press

                                          Friday, July 19, 2013

                                          ALBANY, N.Y. — New York state Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli is using the power of the state’s $160 billion pension system to urge President Barack Obama to order federal agencies and programs around the country to recognize gay marriages performed in New York.

                                          DiNapoli’s idea is to adopt a “place of celebration” standard in federal government, meaning gay marriages that take place in New York would be recognized even in states that do not permit them. It could be a big push in DiNapoli’s effort to get major companies that do business with the state pension fund to adopt anti-discrimination measures when providing benefits for gay couples.

                                          For some Minnesota Methodists, a same-sex marriage conundrum on Aug. 1

                                          by Sasha Aslanian, Minnesota Public Radio

                                          July 22, 2013

                                          MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota's new marriage law goes into effect Aug. 1, creating new urgency for many faith communities about whether they will perform such weddings, particularly those that have been wrestling with how to address sexual orientation for decades.

                                          Among those torn over the issue are Methodists, who have a unique history on the matter in Minnesota -- as retired pastor Roger Lynn would surely testify.

                                          Same-sex marriage in Minnesota: A cross-section of faith communities' approaches

                                          by Sasha Aslanian, Minnesota Public Radio,
                                          Mike Cronin, Minnesota Public Radio

                                          July 22, 2013

                                          ST. PAUL, Minn. — Same-sex couples can legally wed in Minnesota on Aug. 1. Marriage in the eyes of the state's many faith communities, however, is a different matter.

                                          Reactions from Minnesota religious organizations -- and sometimes from within those organizations -- vary widely.

                                          NY Official Pushes Feds to Recognize Gay Marriages

                                          by Michael Gormley

                                          Associated Press

                                          Friday Jul 19, 2013

                                          New York state Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli is using the power of the state’s $160 billion pension system to urge President Barack Obama to order federal agencies and programs around the country to recognize gay marriages performed in New York.

                                          DiNapoli’s idea is to adopt a "place of celebration" standard in federal government, meaning that gay marriages that take place in New York would be recognized even in states that do not permit them. It could be a big push in DiNapoli’s effort to get major companies that do business with the state pension fund to adopt anti-discrimination measures when providing benefits for gay couples.

                                          Minnesota Gay Couples Await Guidance on Income Taxes

                                          Associated Press

                                          Friday Jul 19, 2013

                                          Minnesota gay couples preparing to get married after it becomes legal next month will have to wait a bit longer for guidance on their income taxes.

                                          San Diego County Clerk Seeks End to Gay Marriages

                                          by Paul Elias

                                          Associated Press

                                          Saturday Jul 20, 2013

                                          SAN FRANCISCO - The San Diego County clerk has asked the state Supreme Court to stop gay marriages.

                                          Ernest Dronenburg Jr. urged the state high court to immediately halt same-sex weddings while it considers his legal arguments that gay marriages remain illegal in California despite a U.S. Supreme Court’s decision widely regarded as authorizing gay weddings.

                                          Ohio Men Challenge State Law Denying Gay Marriage

                                          Associated Press

                                          Saturday Jul 20, 2013

                                          CINCINNATI - Two Ohio men have filed a federal lawsuit alleging Ohio violates the U.S Constitution by denying legal recognition to same-sex couples married in states where gay marriage is legal.

                                          James Obergefell and John Arthur of Cincinnati filed the lawsuit Friday in Cincinnati against Ohio’s governor, attorney general and the Cincinnati health department registrar who files death certificates.

                                          Minn. Churches Prepare for Gay Wedding Decisions

                                          Associated Press

                                          Monday Jul 22, 2013

                                          Minnesota’s new law allowing gay marriage takes effect Aug. 1, but one former United Methodist minister with a long history of support for the issue won’t be able to publicly preside over any same-sex weddings.

                                          Roger Lynn, a retired United Methodist pastor, performed a wedding ceremony in 1971 for two Minneapolis men, Jack Baker and Michael McConnell, whose legal fight to be allowed to marry was among the nation’s first. Lynn’s role in the ceremony caused ruffles in the larger United Methodist community, and a year later its General Conference passed a resolution defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

                                          32 comments Americas · Law · Politics · USA

                                          US: Democratic West Virginia Representative backs anti-equal marriage federal ban

                                          by Scott Roberts
                                          19 July 2013, 7:08pm

                                          A Democratic lawmaker is joining dozens of Republicans who want to ban same-sex marriages in the US Constitution – even though there efforts are unlikely to succeed.

                                          US: City measure introduced to allow same-sex married couples full marriage benefits

                                          by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                          19 July 2013, 4:39pm

                                          A measure has been introduced in the city of Richmond, Virginia which would allow employees of the city in same-sex marriages to receive the same benefits as straight married couples.

                                        • Affirmation: United Methodists
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Aug 4, 2013

                                            Judge Rules for Ohio Men’s Same-Sex Marriage

                                            Associated Press

                                            Tuesday Jul 23, 2013

                                            A federal judge has ruled in favor of two Ohio men who want their out-of-state marriage recognized as one of them nears death, a case that’s seen as encouraging for same-sex marriage supporters in the state.

                                            NM Attorney General Not Defending Gay Marriage Ban

                                            by Barry Massey

                                            Associated Press

                                            Tuesday Jul 23, 2013

                                            New Mexico Attorney General Gary King told the state’s highest court on Monday that a prohibition on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional.

                                            In written arguments filed with the court, King said the justices should invalidate the state’s ban on gay marriage if they agree to resolve the issue in a lawsuit filed by two Santa Fe men who were denied a marriage license.

                                            Mo. Court Seeks More Input on Gay Death Benefits

                                            Associated Press

                                            Tuesday Jul 23, 2013

                                            A U.S. Supreme Court decision about federal benefits for gay couples has prompted the Missouri Supreme Court to take a second look at a pending case.

                                            NY to Refund Gay Couples Forced to Pay Estate Tax

                                            by Michael Gormley

                                            Associated Press

                                            Tuesday Jul 23, 2013

                                            Same-sex spouses forced to pay high New York estate taxes upon the death of their partner will get refunds from the state.

                                            Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Tuesday that the refunds are being issued as a result of the recent U.S. Supreme Court decision that struck down part of the Defense of Marriage Act, also known as DOMA.

                                            Archbishop of Kenya warns Justin Welby against supporting civil partnerships

                                            by Scott Roberts
                                            23 July 2013, 1:28pm

                                            The Archbishop of Kenya, Dr Eliud Wabukala, has criticised the Archbishops of Canterbury and York because he feels they are softening their position on same-sex civil partnerships.

                                            Ky. Couple Challenges Ban on Same-Sex Marriage

                                            by Brett Barrouquere

                                            Associated Press

                                            Friday Jul 26, 2013

                                            A Louisville couple challenged Kentucky’s ban on same-sex marriages, saying Friday that the state isn’t treating them and other same-sex couples on equal footing with other married couples.

                                            Gregory Bourke and Michael Deleon, both 55, are asking a federal judge in Louisville to require the state to recognize valid unions from other states and countries.

                                            Federal Judge Orders Ohio Officials to Recognize Same-Sex Couple’s Marriage

                                            by Justin Snow

                                            Metro Weekly

                                            Saturday Jul 27, 2013

                                            A federal judge Monday ordered Ohio officials to recognize the marriage of a same-sex couple wed in Maryland on the death certificate of one of the two men currently in hospice care.

                                            Timothy Black.jpgU.S. District Court Judge Timothy Black wrote in Monday’s order that despite Ohio’s 2004 constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, "Ohio law has historically and unambiguously provided that the validity of a marriage is determined by whether it complies with the law of the jurisdiction where it was celebrated."

                                            July 27, 2013 9:05AM

                                            New Challenges to Gay Marriage Bans From Within States & Denominations

                                            Post by Candace Chellew-Hodge

                                            Don't look now but the marriage equality snowball is gaining momentum. Since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down part of the Defense of Marriage Act allowing legally wed gay and lesbian couples access to the federal rights and responsibilities of marriage, LGBT rights groups have wasted no time using the momentum to push for more changes.

                                            Couples in states like Kentucky, Virginia, Arkansas and Pennsylvania have filed lawsuits challenging those states' laws against marriage equality.

                                            Gay Marriage Court Win In Ohio May Spawn New Suits

                                            by Amanda Lee Myers

                                            Associated Press

                                            Saturday Jul 27, 2013

                                            Two gay men who successfully sued to get their out-of-state marriage recognized in Ohio despite a state ban are at the forefront of what supporters and experts believe will be a rush of similar lawsuits aiming to take advantage of an apparent legal loophole.

                                            John Arthur of Cincinnati, who is dying of Lou Gehrig’s disease, won the right to be listed as married on his death certificate and to have his partner of more than 20 years listed as his surviving spouse.

                                            Lawmakers to Revive Gay Marriage Debate in Neb.

                                            by Grant Schulte

                                            Associated Press

                                            Monday Jul 29, 2013

                                            Nebraska lawmakers will revive a gay marriage debate later this year, with a hearing that could lead to a proposed ballot measure on the issue.

                                            The Legislature’s Judiciary Committee will convene on Oct. 4 to review Nebraska’s constitutional amendment that defines marriage as the union of a man and a woman.

                                            Nigeria Denies Will Allow Gay Married Diplomats

                                            Associated Press

                                            Monday Jul 29, 2013

                                            Nigeria’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs is denying reports the minister said he would allow gay married diplomats to be accredited.

                                            Mexico: State of Colima legalises civil unions for same-sex couples

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 18, 2013

                                              Uruguay’s Same-Sex Marriage Law Takes Effect

                                              Monday Aug 5, 2013

                                              As reported in BBC News, today Rodrigo Borda and Sergio Miranda became the first same-sex couple to register to marry in Uruguay, just hours after the law legalizing gay took effect in the country. The couple plans to marry in September.

                                              The marriage equality bill, which passed by overwhelming majorities in both houses of the legislature last April and was signed into law by President José Mujica in May, makes Uruguay the second country in Latin America to offer full marriage rights to all of its citizens.

                                              Ill. Governor Says Wis. Should Legalize Gay Marriage

                                              Associated Press

                                              Monday Aug 5, 2013

                                              Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn says Wisconsin should follow the lead of other Midwest states and legalize gay marriage.

                                              Quinn said Saturday during a break at the National Governors Association meeting in Milwaukee that gay people should not have more rights in some states in the region and less in others.

                                              Marriage Equality Not Coming to Wisconsin Anytime Soon

                                              by Jason St. Amand

                                              National News Editor

                                              Monday Aug 5, 2013

                                              Same-sex couples hoping to tie the knot in Wisconsin may have to put any wedding plans on hold for awhile, after Gov. Scott Walker (R) made some discouraging comments at a weekend conference in Milwaukee, the Huffington Post reports.

                                              Lawsuit Challenges Illinois Gay Marriage Ban

                                              Associated Press

                                              Tuesday Aug 6, 2013

                                              CHICAGO - A Cook County judge is scheduled to hear arguments on whether to dismiss a case challenging Illinois’ ban on same-sex marriage.

                                              Circuit Judge Sophia Hall will hear arguments Tuesday.

                                              West PA Mayor Marries Gay Men with E. PA License

                                              Associated Press

                                              Tuesday Aug 6, 2013

                                              BRADDOCK, Pa.-A Pittsburgh-area mayor has married two men who obtained a license from an eastern Pennsylvania county official who has issued more than 60 licenses to same-sex couples despite a state law that defines marriage as a contract between one man and one woman.

                                              Decision on Same-Sex Marriage Lawsuit Next Month

                                              Associated Press

                                              Wednesday Aug 7, 2013

                                              CHICAGO After hearing nearly two hours of arguments, a Cook County judge said Tuesday she’ll decide whether to dismiss a lawsuit challenging Illinois’ gay marriage ban late next month.

                                              Demand For Gay-Marriage Licenses in Pa. is Rising

                                              Associated Press

                                              Wednesday Aug 7, 2013

                                              Demand among same-sex couples for marriage licenses from an eastern Pennsylvania county official flouting state law shows no sign of slacking.

                                              Pentagon May Revise Same-Sex Benefits

                                              Associated Press

                                              Wednesday Aug 7, 2013

                                              WASHINGTON -- The Pentagon is poised to extend health care, housing and other benefits to the same-sex spouses of military members by the end of August, but may reverse earlier plans to provide benefits to gay partners who are not married.

                                              Taiwan: Authorities uphold first same-sex transgender marriage

                                              by Aaron Day
                                              8 August 2013, 3:21pm

                                              Authorities in Taiwan have agreed not to revoke the marriage status of a local transgender couple, in a move activists have called a “benchmark” ruling.

                                              Exclusive: Alex Salmond says ‘It’s Time’ for equal marriage in Scotland because it’s the ‘right thing to do’

                                              by Scott Roberts
                                              8 August 2013, 10:59am

                                              Scotland’s First Minister Alex Salmond has spoken out about why he supports equal marriage in a video recorded as part of the Equality Network’s It’s Time campaign.

                                              US: Pentagon to extend some benefits to same-sex military spouses by end of August

                                              by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                              8 August 2013, 1:32am

                                              Reports suggest that the Pentagon is to extend health care, housing and other benefits to the same-sex spouses of military members by the end of this month.

                                              Brazil Army Must Recognize Same-Sex Civil Union

                                              Associated Press

                                              Friday Aug 9, 2013

                                              A court has ordered Brazil’s Army for the first time to recognize a same-sex civil union between a sergeant and his companion.

                                              Pa. County Grants 100th Same-Sex Marriage License

                                              by Maryclaire Dale

                                              Associated Press

                                              Friday Aug 9, 2013

                                              A suburban Philadelphia county defying Pennsylvania’s marriage law issued its 100th same-sex license Friday, just weeks after opening the courthouse door to gay men and women.

                                              Brazil: Court orders army to recognise same-sex civil union

                                              by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                              9 August 2013, 6:10pm

                                              The judge ruled that the army must recognise the civil union of the same-sex couple

                                              For the first time in Brazil, a court has ordered the Brazilian Army to reconise a same-sex civil union.

                                              Gay Rights Group: Don’t Delay Marriage in N.J.

                                              Associated Press

                                              Sunday Aug 11, 2013

                                              TRENTON - Lawyers for a group of gay couples said in a court filing Friday that New Jersey’s key argument against allowing same-sex marriage immediately is "contrary to established law."

                                              US: Pennsylvania Health Department says issue of same-sex marriage licences ‘risks causing serious harm’

                                              by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                              12 August 2013, 11:49pm

                                              The decision by a Pennsylvania county clerk to issue marriage licences to same-sex couples could result in a separation of powers violation which ”risks causing serious and limitless harm”, a filing by lawyers for the state Health Department said on Monday.

                                              Nigerian bishops: We’re against equal marriage but empathise with people who live with ‘homosexual tendencies’

                                              by Scott Roberts
                                              12 August 2013, 5:26pm

                                              A group of bishops in Nigeria have warned against equal marriage but say they “empathise with people who live with homosexual and gay tendencies”.

                                              Source: Former Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard considered reversing equal marriage opposition

                                              by Daniel Carter
                                              12 August 2013, 12:25pm

                                              It’s being reported by an Australian broadcaster that former Prime Minister Julia Gillard was tempted to drop her opposition to equal marriage during her time in office.

                                              US: New Jersey judge to hear potentially groundbreaking case on implications of DOMA strike-down

                                              by Joseph Patrick McCormick
                                              11 August 2013, 4:15pm

                                              A New Jersey court case will this week hear oral arguments in a test of the implications of the Supreme Court ruling which struck down key sections of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), to find out what it means for that states.

                                              Same-Sex Couples Seeking Insurance Wait For IRS Rules

                                              by Michelle Andrews

                                              August 13, 201310:49 AM

                                              Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that the federal ban on same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, federal agencies have to figure out the regulations that govern everything from to income taxes.

                                              Gay Ohio Couple Win Extension Recognizing Marriage

                                              Associated Press

                                              Tuesday Aug 13, 2013

                                              CINCINNATI: A federal judge on Tuesday extended a temporary restraining order preventing state authorities from enforcing their ban on gay marriage against two men who got married in another state as one of them nears death.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 5, 2013