Integrity Press Release: PRESIDING BISHOP DROPS BALL AT UNITED NATIONS

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2010
      In a meeting yesterday (1/27/2010) with Archbishop Rowan Williams and
      Secretary General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, Presiding Bishop
      Katharine Jefferts Schori reports that they discussed Haiti, Sudan, Liberia,
      Rwanda and the Millennium Development Goals. Integrity USA was stunned by
      the omission of any mention of the draconian anti-gay legislation pending in
      Uganda.

      "We view this as a huge missed opportunity to dialogue on an issue that has
      galvanized international human rights leaders," said the Rev. Canon Albert
      Ogle, Integrity's Vice President for National & International Affairs.
      "Since the Presiding Bishop has stated in the past that the proposed Ugandan
      legislation is a "potential impingement on basic human rights,' we cannot
      understand her reticence to speak out for those who cannot speak for
      themselves in Uganda."

      The Presiding Bishop stated that the meeting was 'marked by openness to
      partnership and a respect for the large role that faith communities play in
      healing the world today.' Integrity regrets that neither the Presiding
      Bishop nor the Archbishop of Canterbury stepped up on the role that faith
      communities can play in healing homophobia - and we believe it is never too
      late to do the right thing.

      Integrity calls on our Presiding Bishop to utilize every opportunity to
      speak out against the draconian efforts in Uganda to criminalize the LGBT
      community -- especially when she has the ear of the Archbishop of
      Canterbury. We remind her of her investiture challenge to the church "to
      bring good news to the oppressed, to bind up the brokenhearted; to proclaim
      liberty to the captives, and release to the prisoners; to proclaim the year
      of the Lord's favor ... " And we invite her to join with us as we continue
      to work with a network of national and international human rights
      organizations and LGBT leaders to speak out, raise awareness and take action
      on this issue.