Prop 8 Trial 2009-01-24

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2010
      UM Called Out has always presented news from both the progressive and
      conservative viewpoints. On the Prop 8 trial all of the news that's run
      across our desks has come from Religion Dispatches, Associated Press, Bay
      Area Reporter, and Edge. We continue watching our conservative news
      sources, but so far they seem to be ignoring the trial.

      Prop 8 trial turns its focus toward religious views

      by Matthew S. Bajko

      Bay Area Reporter

      Sunday Jan 24, 2010

      The anti-gay beliefs held by religious leaders and their followers came
      under scrutiny Wednesday during the federal Prop 8 trial with emotional
      testimony from a gay Denver man whose family forced him into ex-gay therapy
      as a child.

      Religion and its impact on the views American's hold toward homosexuality
      also came up during the testimony of Stanford political professor Gary M.
      Segura as well as during snippets of videotaped depositions from two of the
      expert witnesses for Prop 8's backers who withdrew at the start of the trial
      last week.

      The trial looking at the constitutionality of Prop 8, a constitutional
      amendment that ended California's legalization of same-sex marriage in
      November 2008, is now midway through week two. It will resume Thursday,
      January 21 inside the courtroom of U.S. District Court Judge Vaughn Walker.

      Wednesday morning, at times, emotionally rattled Ryan Kendall recalled for
      the court the three years he spent undergoing conversion therapy at the
      insistence of his parents, who told him he would "burn in hell" when they
      read in his journal that their then-13-year-old son was gay.

      The rest of the article is here: http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101402