Prop 8 Trial 2010-01-20

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2010
      First, from EDGE

      Prop 8 trial, Day 6: San Diego mayor takes the stand
      by Roger Brigham
      EDGE San Francisco Editor
      Wednesday Jan 20, 2010

      The second week of the federal Prop 8 trial opened with often tearful
      testimony from Republican San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders as he recounted why
      he changed his mind to support marriage for gays and lesbians in 2007 after
      he made his opposition to it part of his first successful run for office.

      San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera played a video of the press
      conference Sanders held to announce his change of heart. The former San
      Diego police chief recounted the last minute reconsiderations that spurred
      him to endorse marriage for same-sex couples.

      "I came to the conclusion that night I was prejudiced," Sanders told the
      court. "I was extremely emotional because of the decision I made. I felt I
      had come very close to making a bad decision.The night before the press
      conference, I invited a number of people from the gay and lesbian community.
      I intended to give them the courtesy to tell them I intended to veto this. I
      thought they would accept civil unions. I was shocked at the depth of the
      emotion of the comments they made."

      Sanders has two daughters from a previous marriage: Jamie, whom he said was
      straight, and Lisa, who is lesbian. He said they had worked with him on his
      campaign "every step of the way" and they understood his position on civil
      unions at the time was the one that as a Republican running in San Diego at
      the time was "politically palatable on the basis of the support that I had."

      The rest of the article is here: http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101334

      Second, from Religion Dispatches

      Religion Largely Absent in Proposition 8 Trial

      By Candace
      <http://www.religiondispatches.org/bloggers/candacechellew-hodge/>
      Chellew-Hodge
      January 19, 2010

      When Proposition 8 was fought at the ballot box in California to deny the
      newly-minted right to marry for gay and lesbian couples, those leading the
      charge were mainly religious. The Mormon Church gave more than $180,000
      <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/01/top-officials-w.html> in
      efforts to repeal the new marriage law. That was peanuts
      <http://coloradoindependent.com/21271/focus-on-the-family-vastly-outpaced-mo
      rmon-spending-on-proposition-8> though compared to the nearly $730,000 in
      cash and services provided by Colorado-based Focus on the Family and the
      $1.275 million given by the Catholic Church group the Knights of Columbus.

      The religious argument against marriage equality for gays and lesbians may
      have won the round at the ballot box, but in the San Francisco courtroom
      where the legal battle to overturn Prop. 8 wraps up its first week, religion
      has been largely absent. Religious arguments don't hold a lot of legal
      water, so anti-marriage equality proponents are forced to use their secular
      arguments, and reading reports from the courtroom (since the U.S. Supreme
      Court nixed video coverage of the trial), they're leaking fairly badly as
      well.

      Without being able to argue that God ordained one man and one woman for life
      (never mind all that Old Testament polygamy) and so we cannot deviate from
      that pattern, those opposed to same-gender marriage are instead focusing on
      issues like parenting, economic impact, discrimination, and child rearing.

      In their opening <http://www.mercurynews.com/samesexmarriage/ci_14165465>
      arguments, defense attorneys laid out their case:

      Charles Cooper, the lead attorney for the Proposition 8 defense (.) is
      hitting the main points in the defense: that the voters have spoken on the
      issue, and gay couples in California enjoy strong legal protections under
      domestic partnership laws. (.) Cooper finished his opening statement,
      defending the need for society to preserve the traditional definition of
      marriage and limit it to heterosexual couples for its procreative purposes.
      He told the judge that marriage must be "pro-child," and that would be at
      risk if same-sex couples were allowed to marry. Cooper insisted that the
      courts should stay out of the issue and allow the voters to decide whether
      they want to allow same-sex marriage, but the judge questioned that thesis.
      "There are certainly lots of issues taken out of the body politic. Why isn't
      this one of them?" the judge asked at one point.

      The rest of the article is here:
      http://www.religiondispatches.org/blog/sexandgender/2203/religion_largely_ab
      sent_in_proposition_8_trial

      Third, from AP via EDGE

      Prop 8 Trial: Evidence Points to Success of Gay Marriage
      by Lisa Leff
      Associated Press
      Wednesday Jan 20, 2010

      Same-sex couples in some parts of the United States have been able to wed
      for long enough to conclude that expanding gay marriage to other states
      would not undermine traditional marriages, a University of Massachusetts
      economist testified during a trial on California's same-sex marriage ban.

      Lee Badgett's testimony Tuesday finished off the sixth day in the historic
      trial, the first in a federal court to examine whether prohibiting gays and
      lesbians from marrying violates their constitutional rights.

      Badgett, who also directs research for a gay-related think tank at the
      University of California, Los Angeles, took the witness stand on behalf of
      two same-sex couples suing to overturn Proposition 8, the state's
      voter-approved ban. She cited statistics from Massachusetts, which has
      allowed gay couples to marry since 2004, showing that marriage and divorce
      rates for straight couples have not been affected.

      "I don't think we need to wait any longer to see what the impact will be. I
      think we know," Badgett said. "Everything I've looked at leads me to the
      conclusion that there is no impact."

      The rest of the article is here: http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101340

      Fourth, from AP via EDGE

      Opponents Press Gay Marriage Ban in New Hampshire
      by Normal Love
      Associated Press
      Wednesday Jan 20, 2010

      Three weeks after the state legalized gay marriage, opponents are asking a
      House committee to repeal the law and let voters amend the constitution to
      define marriage as between a man and a woman.

      The House Judiciary Committee was holding hearings Wednesday on the two
      measures, which many observers expect the House to reject when they are
      brought to the floor in the next few weeks.

      Opponents know their chances of success are slim, but they are looking to
      the November election in hopes Republicans will regain control of the
      Statehouse and succeed then in repealing the law.

      Right now, Democrats are firmly in charge and appear eager to dispose of
      controversial measures early in the session to avoid lingering debate in an
      election year. Gay marriage opponents know that and are focusing on a bigger
      prize: voter sympathy.

      The rest of the article is here: http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101341