Three Items

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2010
      LGBT groups join Haiti earthquake relief effort
      by Michael K. Lavers
      National News Editor
      Monday Jan 18, 2010

      The San Francisco-based <http://www.rainbowfund.org> Rainbow World Fund is
      among the myriad of organizations around the world that continue to raise
      money and support the Haiti earthquake relief effort.

      The RWF, which has funded numerous projects to improve nutrition and develop
      access to safe drinking water in the impoverished Caribbean country since
      2004, established its Haiti Earthquake Relief Campaign with a $50,000
      donation. The organization has also partnered with CARE, which has provided
      food, potable water, tarps, blankets, medicine and other items to those who
      survived the Jan. 12 earthquake.

      "This is the time to help," Jeff Cotter, the fund's executive director,
      said.

      Indeed, Haitian government officials estimate the 7.0 earthquake that
      devastated Port-au-Prince and surrounding areas last Tuesday killed up to an
      estimated 200,000 people and left millions more homeless.

      The rest of the article is here: <http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101226>
      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101226

      Malawi: We Won't Bow to Int'l Pressure

      By Advocate.com Editors

      The Malawi government announced Monday that it would not cave to
      international pressure to release two gay men who have been imprisoned on
      charges of unnatural acts and gross indecency after engaging in a same-sex
      marriage ceremony last month,
      <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/18/AR201001180
      2664.html> The Washington Post reports. The men face up to 14 years in
      prison if found guilty of the charges.

      Malawi's Information Minister Leckford Mwanza Thoto said in a statement that
      Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga were "clearly breaking the laws of
      Malwi."

      "As government we cannot interfere in the court process," Thoto said. "We
      depend on our Western friends, yes, but we are a sovereign country."

      Forty percent of Malawi's budget, the Post reports, is funded by
      international donors.

      The rest of the article is here:
      <http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/01/18/Malawi_Wont_Bow_to_Inter
      national_Pressure/>
      http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2010/01/18/Malawi_Wont_Bow_to_Intern
      ational_Pressure/

      Malawi Defends Gay Couple's Persecution
      by Raphael Tenthani
      Associated Press
      Tuesday Jan 19, 2010

      Malawi's government said Monday that it is unmoved by international
      criticism of the trial of a gay couple charged with unnatural acts and gross
      indecency, felonies for which they could be imprisoned for up to 14 years.

      In a statement Monday, Malawi's Information Minister Leckford Mwanza Thoto
      made no apology for the laws that criminalize homosexual acts. He said
      Steven Monjeza and Tiwonge Chimbalanga were "clearly breaking the laws of
      Malawi."

      "As government we cannot interfere in the court process," Thoto said. "We
      depend on our Western friends, yes, but we are a sovereign country."

      Forty percent of Malawi's budget is funded by international donors.

      The rest of the article is here: <http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101296>
      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101296