Affirmation Press Release: Two Positive Signs

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2010
      Two Positive Signs

      For Immediate Release, Wednesday January 20, 2010

      By Affirmation Co-spokesperson Tim Tennant-Jayne

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and
      Queer Concerns is pleased and excited that Annise Parker has taken the oath
      of office as the mayor of Houston, TX, and that Amanda Simpson is being
      considered for a position in the United States Commerce Department. People
      selected these women for these positions based on their skills, abilities,
      and merit. Our secular society has made major progress in being able to
      accept these out Queer women into these jobs. In the recent elections in
      Houston, the citizens showed that Annise's being a lesbian was not a factor
      in their choosing her to be their mayor. Similarly, Amanda's transitioning
      did not cause her removal from consideration for a governmental job. We
      pray that someday soon The United Methodist Church will likewise learn such
      wisdom in selecting its ordained clergy leaders.

      -30-

      As an independent voice of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer
      people, Affirmation radically reclaims the compassionate and transforming
      gospel of Jesus Christ by relentlessly pursuing full inclusion in the Church
      as we journey with the Spirit in creating God's beloved community.

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and
      Queer Concerns is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization
      with no official ties to The United Methodist Church.

      How to Contact Us:
      umaffirmation_at_yahoo.com
      http://www.umaffirm.org