Prop 8 Trial 2010-01-17

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2010
      Item 1 - From the AP via EDGE

      Prop 8 witness: Gay marriage made her feel like family
      by Lisa Leff
      Associated Press
      Sunday Jan 17, 2010

      Getting married brought big changes to the lives of author Helen Zia and her
      partner Lia Shigemura.

      At family reunions, funerals and other gatherings, the Oakland couple found
      their relationship much more accepted after their parents could start saying
      they had a daughter-in-law.

      "My mother, an immigrant from China, she really doesn't get what 'partner'
      is," Zia, 57, testified Friday during the fifth day of a federal civil trial
      challenging California's same-sex marriage ban.

      "Marriage made it very clear that I was family, that we were family, and I
      was where I belonged," she said.

      Zia and her partner were among an estimated 18,000 same-sex couples that
      married in 2008 during a four-month window when the practice was legal in
      California. Until then, they had been domestic partners.

      You can read the rest of the article here:
      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101219

      Item 2 - From the AP via EDGE

      Civil unions may get quick vote at Hawaii Capitol
      by Herbert A. Sample
      Associated Press
      Sunday Jan 17, 2010

      HONOLULU - When Hawaii legislators reconvene on Wednesday, all eyes will be
      focused not on teacher furloughs that resulted in the nation's shortest
      school year or the state's $1 billion budget deficit, but legislation that
      would allow same-sex couples to form civil unions.

      The measure would grant gay couples the rights and benefits the state
      provides to married couples and is among a handful of similar proposals that
      could pop up in several other states. At the same time, a federal judge in
      San Francisco is considering the constitutionality of California's same-sex
      marriage ban.

      "This bill has already been voted on, so there isn't as much convincing to
      do anymore," said Alan Spector of Equality Hawaii, a leading supporter of
      the bill. "I think (legislators) get the substance of the bill and the need
      for the bill."

      Last year, the proposal easily won preliminary passage in the Legislature,
      but stalled in May after opponents lobbied and held a state Capitol rally
      attended by several thousand protesters.

      You can read the rest of the article here:
      http://www.edgeonthenet.com/?101218