Trans Folks "Among Us"

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 9, 2010
      Saturday, January 9, 2010

      -us.html> Trans Folks "Among Us"

      From The Rev. Dr. Cameron Partridge

      About a week ago I picked up a voicemail from my mom: "Sweetheart, I was
      wondering if you've heard about Amanda Simpson, the transgender woman who
      was appointed by President Obama this week?" I had indeed heard about
      Simpson whose appointment as Senior Technical Adviser for the Commerce
      Department's Bureau of Industry and Security rightly has been hailed as a
      milestone in the push toward full equality for trans people.

      Then on Tuesday, January 5th, the New York Times
      <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/06/us/06gender.html> reported that the Obama
      administration had "inserted language into the federal jobs Web site
      explicitly banning employment discrimination based on gender identity." This
      move was hailed by the ACLU as "frankly a bigger deal" than the expected
      insertion of trans inclusive language into the federal handbook for
      supervisors and managers.

      As we move into the season of Epiphany, my question is: what do these
      developments and the debates swirling around them, reveal about the place
      and progress of trans folks "among us"? Because if Epiphany - from the Greek
      epiphaneia, meaning manifestation or revelation - is a celebration of the
      light of Emmanuel, God-among-us, then part of this celebration requires our
      search for how God is revealing Godself among us and prodding us to move

      Of her own appointment Simpson stated, "I'm truly honored to have received
      this appointment and am eager and excited about this opportunity that is
      before me. And at the same time, as one of the first transgender
      presidential appointees to the federal government, I hope that I will soon
      be one of hundreds, and that this appointment opens future opportunities for
      many others."

      The rest of the article is available here: