General Synod to be Asked to Recognize ACNA

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2010
      January 07, 2010

      General Synod to be asked to recognise ACNA

      Gregory Cameron, one of the architects of the Covenant, fears that if the
      election of Mary Glasspool
      <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6951001.ece> as a
      bishop in Los Angeles is confirmed, this will cause 'disruption' in the
      Anglican Communion. Read my story in
      <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6980059.ece> The
      Times, Friday. I also recommend strongly the insightful analysis by Scott
      Gunn <http://www.sevenwholedays.org/2010/01/07/be-not-afraid/> in the US.

      Bishop Gregory believes this could be the trigger that finally brings an end
      to unity around the table at primates' meetings. Read more of our interview
      over at Religious Intelligence
      <http://www.religiousintelligence.co.uk/news/?NewsID=5433> . Meanwhile, an
      evangelical synod member from the Chichester diocese, Lorna Ashworth, whose
      husband Mark is director of youth and children's ministry at All Saints
      <http://www.allsaintschurch-eastbourne.com/> Eastbourne, has put a
      <http://www.cofe.anglican.org/about/gensynod/pmm/#ANGLICAN> nice little
      PM's motion down at General Synod. If passed, and it easily could be in this
      present conservative synod, it means the Church of England will have
      declared itself willing to be 'in communion' with the Anglican Church in
      North America.

      I thought that was quite significant, and even in keeping with the
      Archbishop of <http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/2686> Canterbury's
      recent comments about the covenant.

      Dr Williams, wondering what was going to happen, said: 'It's hard to say as
      yet, but the Covenant text itself does make it clear that at some point
      it'll be open to other bodies, other Ecclesial bodies as they're called,
      other Churches and communities to adopt this Covenant, and be considered for
      incorporation into the Anglican Communion. Meanwhile, it's open to anybody
      that wishes to affirm the principles of the Covenant - to say that this is
      what they wish to live with.'

      The rest of the story may be found here:
      http://timescolumns.typepad.com/gledhill/2010/01/general-synod-to-be-asked-t
      o-recognise-acna.html#more