The Rt Rev Mark Sisk on Ugandan Bill 18

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2009
      December 22, 2009

      The Ugandan government's proposal to intensify the sanctions provided in its
      contemptible laws criminalizing homosexuality has rightly drawn condemnation
      from those who love justice and respect human dignity.

      I write now, very briefly, simply to join my voice with those that have been
      raised in opposition to this affront. To put the matter bluntly: for a
      Christian, no matter how many carefully culled Bible passages might be
      cited, no matter how lofty the spokesperson, there are no circumstances
      whatsoever that justify such oppression. Such tyranny is an offense to God.
      Happily the Anglican Communion is clearly on record supporting this view.
      Among others, I make reference to the actions of several Lambeth Conferences
      as well as to statements from the Primates Meetings, most recently their
      Dromantine Communiqué of 2005.

      I do understand that in some places, Uganda being one of them, homosexuality
      is considered either a sin or a sickness (it could not be both);
      never-the-less neither understanding remotely justifies these terrible laws.
      I urge all Christian communities in Uganda to join together with a single
      voice in opposition to this outrage.

      Further I urge that each and all of us examine and reexamine our own lives
      and repent of those injustices of which we are witting and unwitting
      participants.

      (This appears on the Integrity blog page and can be found at this link:
      http://walkingwithintegrity.blogspot.com/2009/12/statement-from-rt-rev-mark-
      s-sisk-on.html)