Affirmation Press Release: Light at the End of the Tunnel

  • Gary Shephard UMAffEAdmin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2009
      Light at the End of the Tunnel

      For Immediate Release, Saturday November 28, 2009

      By Affirmation Co-spokesperson Tim Tennant-Jayne

      'I've got good news and I've got bad news.' This stock line begins several
      jokes. However, voting about the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual,
      transgender, and queer folk is certainly not a joke. Affirmation: United
      Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Concerns
      mourns the recent vote against marriage equality in Maine, while we
      celebrate the vote in Washington affirming the rights of couples entering
      into civil unions. People frequently refer to this as the 'everything but
      marriage' law.

      It is disturbing that our civil rights, our very lives and relationships are
      being put to a vote. It is rare for civil rights to be granted by a vote of
      society. The right of inter-racially different-gender couples to marry was
      ultimately decided by the United States Supreme Court. While some states
      approved of these relationships, even in 2009 there are individuals who
      disapprove. The United Methodist Church officially approves of the
      ordination of women. Yet there remain congregations today who are still
      uncomfortable with this belief. Probably the term 'marriage' vs. that of
      'civil union' factored into the different election results in Maine and
      Washington. Many people are still reluctant to expand their understanding
      of marriage, of love, and of relationships.

      And yet, Affirmation members remain a people of faith and of hope. As we
      approach our 35th birthday as an organization, we recognize the distance we
      have come in changes to the larger society. Thirty five years ago, few
      people could even conceive of the idea of full marriage equality. At that
      time, a vote would have been extremely lopsided against us. Today we are
      usually within 5% to 10% of gaining acceptance. Our path through the tunnel
      still appears very long and dark. However, we do see the light of hope at
      the end of it. The Spirit of God is indeed moving throughout our country,
      working to change hearts, minds, and votes. Affirmation looks forward to
      the continue work of the Spirit, both in secular society and in our
      denomination.

      -30-

      As an independent voice of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer
      people, Affirmation radically reclaims the compassionate and transforming
      gospel of Jesus Christ by relentlessly pursuing full inclusion in the Church
      as we journey with the Spirit in creating God's beloved community.

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and
      Queer Concerns is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization
      with no official ties to The United Methodist Church.

      How to Contact Us:
      umaffirmation_at_yahoo.com
      http://www.umaffirm.org