Catholic Reform Leaders Call for an Inclusive Pastoral on Marriage

  • Gary Shephard UMAffEAdmin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2009
      Catholic Reform Leaders Call for an Inclusive Pastoral on Marriage

      At its annual fall meeting from November 16 19, 2009, the United States
      Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) is expected to review a new pastoral
      letter pertaining to marriage. In a statement to the bishops, Catholic
      reform leaders call upon them to create a pastoral that addresses the real
      needs of Catholics in the United States:

      We call upon our bishops to ensure that any pastoral they endorse reflects
      the experience and anxieties shared by Catholics in the listening sessions
      the bishops conducted over the past few years. We also urge them to address
      the needs of the many Catholics who did not have access to these sessions.
      We hope our Bishops have truly listened to the hearts and voices of all Gods
      people and raise up those values that Catholics across the country are
      living out in their families and communities.

      There can be no doubt that, as the bishops pastoral letter states, marriage
      is a blessing, both special and natural. It is worthy of affirmation and
      support from both religious and secular institutions. At the same time, our
      church and society can fully celebrate this blessing only when all those who
      are called to marriage can indeed marry, when couples are able to exercise
      their conscience to make moral decisions about their lives, and when those
      who are remarried are still welcomed at the table.

      As Catholics, we must adhere to those principles of love and justice that
      are core to our faith as central to any marriage. We must also lift up the
      freedom of conscience of every person in a loving relationship.

      Endorsing Organizations

      Association for the Rights of Catholics in the Church
      Call To Action
      Catholics for Choice
      DignityUSA
      Ecumenical Catholic Communion
      National Coalition of American Nuns
      New Ways Ministry
      Pax Christi Maine
      Roman Catholic WomanPriests
      Southeastern Pennsylvania Womens Ordination Conference

      Voice of the Faithful/NJ Affiliate

      Womens Ordination Conference