Affirmation Press Release: Survey Says, "We ARE People of Faith"

  • Gary Shephard UMAffEAdmin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2009
      Survey Says, "We Are People of Faith"

      For Immediate Release, Friday August 21, 2009

      By Affirmation Co-spokesperson Tim Tennant-Jayne

      A survey of 9,000 lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Americans by
      George Barna, a well-known evangelical pollster, reports that 70 percent of
      queer adults describe themselves as Christian and 60 percent say their faith
      is "very important" in their lives. These figures are only slightly lower
      than the general population, which records 85 and 70 percent on those
      rankings, respectively. Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay,
      Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Concerns applauds these findings. They
      support what many of us have known anecdotally for many years. We are
      indeed people of faith.

      Nor is this survey flavored by a basis on behalf of the author. Barna, is
      known as a Bible-believing, born-again Christian. He himself comments that
      the numbers demonstrate that what some assume to be "popular stereotypes
      about the spiritual life of gays and lesbians are simply wrong."

      The survey's authors note that the process of self-acceptance and coming out
      is parallel to the journey of spiritual discovery and acceptance. Many of
      us find these two paths very closely intertwined. In order for us to be
      able to come out and accept the gift from God of our orientation, we have to
      wrestle with and closely examine scripture and traditional church teachings.
      Our coming out starts us on our faith journey. Our faith journey leads to
      our coming out. An additional result of this exploration is that many
      lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer persons become very active
      members of which ever denomination and congregation they eventually choose
      to join.

      Affirmation encourages all United Methodists to read and consider this
      report. As The United Methodist Church faces continued struggles to both
      attract and retain active members, we hope that all levels of the church
      will recognize the gifts we bring to Christ's table.

      The report is available at
      http://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/13-culture/282-spiritual-profile-o
      f-homosexual-adults-provides-surprising-insights

      -30-

      As an independent voice of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer
      people, Affirmation radically reclaims the compassionate and transforming
      gospel of Jesus Christ by relentlessly pursuing full inclusion in the Church
      as we journey with the Spirit in creating God's beloved community.

      Affirmation: United Methodists for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and
      Queer Concerns is an activist, all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization
      with no official ties to The United Methodist Church.

      How to Contact Us: email: umaffirmation@...
      WxFHoxcNSGyRIMDYE4PSWjlmXEi6AYcnW6mc3BeLiZE8NjxhECmkUuaacMrnLEP>
      Affirmation web: http://www.umaffirm.org