Transgender Day of Remembrance

  • UM Affirmation
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2008
      Remember: Faith communities can save transgender lives

      The Transgender Day of Remembrance (November 20, 2008) is set aside to
      remember
      those lost to anti-transgender violence in the last year. Much of this
      violence
      is fueled by a sentiment that it is tacitly and explicitly reinforced by
      narrow
      understandings of gender, as well as outright transphobia and homophobia
      expressed in the name of a Christian God. Too many of us have not only heard

      "God condemns you" -- but also "It would be better if you were dead."

      It is a profound and important step for every faith community to join in a
      resounding chorus that condemns all forms of violence against people who are

      differently gendered.

      * By vocally condemning anti-trans bullying, harassment, and hate crimes, we

      begin to chip away at the self-righteous fuel that feeds those who believe
      they
      are doing God's will by punishing the differently gendered.
      * By loudly proclaiming that people of all genders are beloved, we begin to
      address the rampant rate of depression and suicide among transgender youth
      and
      adults that so to often encouraged by religious judgment.
      * By reaching out in love to the transgender community, we begin to
      undermine the isolation and low self-esteem that can undergird substance
      abuse
      and high-risk behaviors (which inform high rates of HIV and AIDS).

      Beyond the hate and judgment, trans people's lives are at risk because we so

      often struggle to meet our most fundamental needs such as safe employment
      and
      basic health care. Faith communities need to be out in front of such justice

      issues as well.

      So, this year, let us (re)commit ourselves to the work of speaking up and
      speaking out, to the work of educating ourselves and educating others, to
      the
      work of reaching out in love.

      Chris Paige
      Publisher, TransFaith Online