GC2 008: Rally Urges Inclusion Regardless of Sexual Identity

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2008
      Rally Urges Inclusion Regardless of Sexual Identity
      April 26, 2008

      By Kathy L. Gilbert*

      FORT WORTH, Texas (UMNS)-"Change is coming," says one young adult
      leader who says The United Methodist Church is getting closer to
      welcoming everyone regardless of their sexual identity.

      "Don't worry; it will happen because nothing can stop the force of
      this generation," said Rachel Birkhahn-Rommelfanger, chairperson of
      the United Methodist Student Movement.

      Birkhahn-Rommelfanger was among speakers who addressed more than 200
      people gathered for a noon rally on April 26 to support inclusion of
      gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons in the denomination.

      The rally took place outside of the Fort Worth Convention Center,
      where the 2008 United Methodist General Conference is meeting April
      23-May 2. The church's top legislative body will decide policy for the
      denomination for the next four years and is expected to vote on
      legislation dealing with membership and ordination of homosexuals.

      The church's law book states "the practice of homosexuality is
      incompatible with Christian teaching. Therefore self-avowed practicing
      homosexuals are not to be certified as candidates, ordained as
      ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church."

      The Division on Young People, United Methodist Board of Discipleship,
      is sponsoring one resolution that asks the denomination to offer
      membership "to all who have been baptized and those who have professed
      their faith regardless of age, class, ethnicity, gender, race, and
      sexual orientation."

      "We are offering bold pieces of legislation," said Theon Johnson III,
      co-chair of the division. "We are not called to do church but to be
      the church."

      Shalom Agtarap, a member of Young Adult Seminarians Network, Board of
      Higher Education and Ministry, asked the young people to remember that
      General Conference is a "family meeting."

      "How would you speak to your mother or your father?" she asked. "In
      our discussion, remember you are talking to members of the same family."

      "We all have a special interest in God's justice," said Bryan
      Schlemmer, coordinator of On Fire, a young adult group within the
      Methodist Federation for Social Action. "My salvation depends on your

      Young people drummed for 24 hours leading up to the noon rally. After
      the event, participants went inside the convention center and prayed
      outside of conference rooms as delegates worked on legislation.

      *Gilbert is a news writer for United Methodist News Service.