Integrity President Comments on Joint Standing Committee Report

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2007
      Integrity President Comments on Joint Standing Committee Report
      October 3, 2007
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      The Joint Standing Committee has pronounced the Response of our House
      of Bishops "sufficient unto the day" and now invites the Anglican
      Communion to move forward in faith in spite of our differences.
      Calling for a commitment to mutual listening and conversation, the
      report concludes, "It is only by living in communion what we live out
      our vocation to be a Communion."

      "Our bishops told us their goal in New Orleans was to be 'clear' about
      where the church 'is' in their response to the rest of the Communion,"
      said Integrity President Susan Russell. "They said they were doing so
      in order to 'make room' for the conversations to continue and, based
      on today's report, they appear to have succeeded in that effort. It
      must be recognized, however, that this 'success' came at the cost of
      collateral damage to the lives and vocations of the LGBT baptized who
      continue to be cast as pawns in this game of global church politics."

      "It is now time for our bishops to step up and put their miters where
      their mouths are and proactively advocate for the inclusion of LGBT
      voices in the 'mutual listening and conversation' the Communion has
      committed to continue," Russell continued. "Here's what we want to be
      'clear' about: we're done being talked about and we're ready, willing
      and able to be talked 'to.'"

      Integrity looks forward to being an integral part of that mutual
      listening and conversation and later this month in London will be
      working toward those goals with Anglican allies at planning meetings
      in advance of next year's Lambeth Conference.

      INTERGRITY
      620 Park Avenue #311 Rochester, NY 14607-2943
      800-462-9498 info@... www.integrityusa.org
      <http://www.integrityusa.org/>

      PRESS CONTACTS

      The Rev. Susan Russell, President
      revsusanrussell@...
      714-356-5718 (mobile)

      Mr. John Gibson, Director of Communications
      jhngb@...
      917-518-1120 (mobile)