A Parent's Dilemma: When Your Child Is Gay

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2007
      A parent's dilemma: When your child is gay
      August 23, 2007
      A UMNS Report
      By Robin Russell*

      Kathy and Dave England recall how stunned they were when their son
      announced he was gay. They were sitting around and talking on the last
      night of Christmas break, during his freshman year of college.

      "So, what do you guys think about homosexuality?" Scott asked them.

      "Well, I've never given it much thought," Mrs. England replied.

      "Well, I am," Scott said.

      "Boy, he caught me off guard - totally," his mother recalled.

      Mrs. England didn't understand her son's "choice and his lifestyle."
      Her husband, then on active duty with the U.S. Air Force, responded by
      delivering his "speech" to Scott, who had a full ROTC scholarship.

      "My advice was that he should probably consider a different career,"
      Mr. England said. "But he was my son. He was still my son. Nothing was
      going to change that."

      The Englands, of Bellevue, Neb., shared their story during an
      interview at the ninth convocation of the Reconciling Ministries
      Network, an unofficial, pro-gay caucus of United Methodists working
      for full inclusion in the church. The event was held Aug. 2-6 in
      Nashville, Tenn.

      They are among the thousand-plus members of the Parents Reconciling
      Network, a parents' advocacy and education group working on behalf of
      gay children. The network was founded by the Revs. Virginia and Bruce
      Hilton, former civil rights workers who became gay-rights activists
      after learning one of their sons was gay. The Hiltons, of Sacramento,
      Calif., are also United Methodists.

      It often takes awhile for parents to accept that a son or daughter is
      gay, even as they work through their own theological understanding of
      whether homosexuality is a sin.

      The United Methodist Book of Discipline affirms the sacred worth of
      every person, while teaching that homosexual practice is incompatible
      with Christian teaching. It affirms that "God's grace is available to
      all" as "we seek to live together in Christian community."

      The Book of Discipline also implores families and churches "not to
      reject or condemn lesbian and gay members and friends," adding that
      "we commit ourselves to be in ministry for and with all persons."

      Parents who accept their children's homosexual orientation say that
      advocating for gay rights is an often frustrating task in a
      denomination that excludes gays from ordination and its clergy from
      performing same-sex unions.

      In recent years, the denomination's top court has upheld a pastor's
      right to prevent an openly practicing gay man from becoming a church
      member. The Judicial Council also will review in October the case of a
      United Methodist transgender clergy.

      Denial and shame

      The Englands say they worked through denial about Scott's sexual
      orientation, even though his twin sister, Laurie, who is straight,
      already had "put two and two together."

      Finding a book at the library written by a member of Parents, Families
      and Friends of Lesbians And Gays helped Mrs. England realize "I'm not
      the only parent in Nebraska with a gay son." And it helped that a
      Methodist minister's wife led a support group meeting she attended.

      But as is typical of many parents, the Englands kept Scott's news to
      themselves, close friends and family. For awhile, they were closeted
      in their own United Methodist congregation.

      "It's not something you just walk up to someone and say," England said.

      They took another look at the "clobber verses" in Scripture used
      against homosexuality - including one in Romans in which Paul condemns
      "men (who) committed shameless acts with men" - to see if they were
      referring to what is today known as same-sex orientation.

      Eventually, through study and prayer, they came to believe that God
      made their son just as he was. The Englands even visited Scott when
      his college hosted a gay pride festival. His buddies couldn't believe
      his parents had come.

      Brokenness and sin

      Not every United Methodist parent of a homosexual child agrees with
      the Englands' conclusions.

      Larry and Betty Baker of Madison, Va., believe homosexuality is a sin
      resulting from broken relationships. Both have served on the board of
      Transforming Congregations, an organization that states Jesus Christ
      has the power "to change those who face such temptations" as
      homosexuality, pornography and sexual addiction.

      And they believe The United Methodist Church has taken the correct
      stance. "We have done a lot of reading of Scriptures," Mrs. Baker
      said. "Both of us feel we would be unfaithful to the Lord if we took a
      different stand."

      They also have worked hard to maintain a relationship with their gay
      son, now 36, whom they adopted from South Korea when he was an infant.
      They asked that his name not be used.

      When their son was 7, the Bakers moved to a rural, conservative area.
      They believe his homosexuality may be the result of feeling rejected
      and experiencing racial prejudice as the only Asian child in his school.

      By his junior year of college, their son was hanging out with only
      male friends. During a weekend visit home, Mr. Baker overheard his son
      tell a male friend "I love you" over the phone. A few months later,
      Mrs. Baker asked her son if he was gay. She told him it would make no
      difference in their relationship, that he was still their son. They
      also offered to help him find counseling if he wanted to change his
      orientation. So far, he hasn't taken them up on the offer.

      "I believe that the Lord can change them, but I also know it's a long
      and painful struggle," Mrs. Baker said.

      The family's rockiest moment came when the Bakers forbid their son to
      sleep with his partner at their home. "We came very near to a clean
      break at that point," Mrs. Baker recalls. "He called and was in tears.
      He said, 'This is not right. You're making this very difficult for us'."

      She had a change of heart at a Christian conference, where she felt
      God telling her: "I didn't throw you out of my house when you were in
      sexual sin. Why are you throwing your son out?"

      Mrs. Baker apologized to her son, then invited them to come and stay
      at their home. It was "awkward" the first time, but they have been
      back many times since.

      Their son now lives in northern Virginia with his partner of 11 years.
      One of the Bakers' daughters is supportive and would like to see her
      own United Methodist congregation perform same-sex blessing
      ceremonies. The other has theological questions about homosexuality,
      but wants to make sure her brother feels loved and accepted.

      "We have the best relationship possible now," Mrs. Baker said. "He
      knows we pray for him every day. But we don't hit him over the head
      with that."

      Mr. Baker talks by phone each week with his son and shares a meal with
      the couple at least once a month. He disagrees with some parents he
      knows who have written off their homosexual son or daughter. "We
      believe that scripturally, it's wrong. But we are at odds with (those)
      who try to single it out as a hot-button issue," he said.

      Mrs. Baker added: "Jesus did not abandon sinners, and I don't feel
      that we can either. I think that every one of us are sinners. This is
      no different a sin than gluttony."

      Love the sinner

      Joy Watts, a member of Parents Reconciling Network from Uniontown,
      Ohio, said her attempts to "love the sinner and hate the sin" didn't
      help her connect with her daughter Andrea, who is a lesbian.

      "That doesn't feel very much like love," she said.

      In a convocation workshop, Mrs. Watts said her journey from being
      "homophobic" to becoming a gay-rights activist was a heel-dragging
      process.

      She and her husband, Bill, were devastated at first when their middle
      child told them she was a lesbian. "I never felt so alone. I didn't
      think I could discuss it with anyone," Mrs. Watts said.

      Bill Watts told his daughter homosexuality was a sin. Mrs. Watts told
      Andrea she'd have to "fight those urges." Through reading about sexual
      orientation - Mrs. Watts now boasts a veritable "gay library" of
      material - and talking with other parents of gays, she came to believe
      her daughter's orientation is God-given.

      And she began speaking up at church. "If you are ready to approach
      this issue," she told her pastor, "I'm ready to talk." He gave her an
      hour in Sunday school to share her story.

      The Watts disagree with the United Methodist stance toward
      homosexuality and say it frustrates them from time to time. "We'd been
      in this church for 30 years, and my son could be married in the
      sanctuary, but my daughter can't? It made me furious," she said.

      But for now, they're staying put.

      "Even if we all leave, straight parents will still have gay children,"
      she said. "I feel like I'm in it not just for my generation and my
      daughter's, but for the future."

      *Russell is managing editor of United Methodist Reporter, an
      independent weekly newspaper for United Methodists and others,
      produced by UMR Communications in Dallas. This story originally
      appeared in longer form in that publication.