News Articles About Sacramento

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 14, 1999
      THERE ARE TWO WEB ARTICLES DESCRIBED HERE...

      For release Friday AMs, Jan. 15
      RICHARD N. OSTLING, AP Religion Writer
      Wednesday, January 13, 1999

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/1999/01/13/national1445EST0471.DTL

      EXCERPT....
      (01-13) 11:45 PST It's the ``wedding'' of the year for U.S.
      Protestantism, a service of union to bless a lesbian couple, jointly
      performed by a phalanx of 84 United Methodist ministers.

      In truth, the unprecedented event, scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at the
      Sacramento, Calif., Convention Center, is a civil rights demonstration.
      After all, the couple has lived together 14 years and held a private
      ceremony long ago.

      The pair, the clergy and the 1,000 invited guests intend to dramatize
      defiance of a Methodist law that codifies the Christian tradition
      against same-sex relations. The Sacramento 84 declare, ``We believe we
      are acting in the way in which Jesus Christ would act.''

      -----------------------------------

      Priest Taken to Task Over Gay Marriage
      Petition against Pleasanton pastor
      Don Lattin, Chronicle Religion Writer
      Wednesday, January 13, 1999
      �1999 San Francisco Chronicle

      EXCERPT:
      Northern California's controversy over gay marriage in Christian
      churches widened Monday when 15 East Bay Catholics petitioned Oakland
      Bishop John Cummins to defrock a Pleasanton pastor for allowing ``the
      performance of homosexual weddings.''
      <BIG SNIP--ARTICLE TALKS ABOUT BOTH THE ROMAN CATHOLIC AND UM
      CONTROVERSIES IN CALIFORNIA IT CLOSES:>

      ``If there are 80 defendants, that puts a lot of fat in the fire. This
      will resonate throughout the denomination,'' said the Rev. J. Philip
      Wogaman, senior minister at Foundry United Methodist Church in
      Washington, D.C.

      ``Nothing in our discipline compels a trial,'' Wogaman said. ``They
      could just determine that, technically, they (Fado and other dissident
      clergy) violated church law, and say that's a pity, and the bishop could
      write a letter saying they were out of line. It's too bad the church
      puts people in a conflict of conscience over this sort of thing, and for
      that reason, I think a moderate response would be the wisest response.''

      Posted by Web Administrator
      CORNET: United Methodist Covenant Relationships Network
      umcornet@...
      web: http://www.umaffirm.org/cornet/