Rev. Dr. Michael Eric Dyson Headlines National Black Church Summit

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2007
      Rev. Dr. Michael Eric Dyson Headlines National Black Church Summit
      With A Gay-Affirming Focus

      WASHINGTON, DC -- Set in the city of Brotherly love and the birthplace
      of the Declaration of Independence where all people were declared to
      be created equal under the law, the National Black Justice Coalition,
      www.nbjc.org, continues the dialogue of equality and equal justice
      with a historic and nationwide forum on Black Church Homophobia.

      Over three hundred people from across the nation will gather to debate
      the issue of homosexuality and its role within the Black Church as
      well as provide solutions on how to create a welcoming and
      gay-affirming church.

      Black iconic intellectuals such as the Rev. Dr. Michael Eric Dyson
      plus several other religious leaders both anti-gay and gay-affirming
      will headline the event and facilitate discussion ranging from HIV and
      the Black Church to debating the legitimacy of scripture referring to
      homosexuality.

      In addition to Dr. Dyson, other confirmed participants include Bishop
      Harry Jackson (Maryland), Bishop Yvette Flunder (San Francisco), Rev.
      Eugene Rivers (Boston), Dr. Kenneth Samuel (Atlanta). Rev. Deborah L.
      Johnson (Santa Cruz, CA), and Rev. Irene Monroe (Boston).

      The cost of registration is $75 and can be processed online at
      http://www.nbjc.org .

      NBJC Black Church Summit Talking Points:

      What is NBJC?
      The National Black Justice Coalition is a nationwide Black gay civil
      rights organization headquartered in Washington, DC. The mission of
      the organization is to end to racism and homophobia within the Black
      communities across America.

      Location/Date/Time:
      The 2nd Annual Black Church Summit will be held at the historic Mother
      Bethel AME Church, 419 S. 6th Street, Philadelphia, PA, Saturday,
      March 10, 2007, 9am- 5pm.

      Media Briefings/Interviews:
      9am – 11:30am, Saturday, March 10, 2007. To schedule time please and
      any special requests please contact Herndon Davis, at hedavis@...
      or at 202-349-3755.

      Why is the Black Church Summit important? Why should my media outlet
      cover it?
      The factors of HIV, anti-gay violence and emotional depression are
      rampant within the Black gay community. Often the Black Church is ill
      equipped to adequately address these issues which are often swept
      under the societal rug.

      This year's event will once again attract nationally prominent clergy,
      civil rights leaders, and many opposed to and also affirming of
      homosexuality. Our goal is to assist the Black Church on how to
      embrace their lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender friends, neighbors,
      family, and members of their congregations.

      The continued silence of the Black gay community on issues dealing
      with homophobia has left the entire community vulnerable to the
      divisive tactics of those who do not have the community's best
      interest at heart.

      What does NBJC plan to accomplish through the Black Church Summit?
      We plan to increase the size of our ongoing Black Church Social
      Justice Community Action Network which is a national coalition of
      gay-affirming Black churches and clergy who will provide activism on
      ending Black Church homophobia and discrimination.

      What is NBJC's position on gay marriage?
      There is no such thing as same-sex marriage, there is only marriage
      and we believe that all Americans regardless of race, ethnicity and
      sexual orientation should have the right to marry the person they love.

      Can I receive more information about NBJC or the Black Church Summit?
      Yes, please contact Dr. Sylvia Rhue at srhue@... or at 202-349-3755.