Large, Viable Remnant' Wants to Continue as Episcopal Congregation

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 19, 2006
      Large, viable remnant' wants to continue as Episcopal congregation
      Determination to move forward outweighs sadness
      Episcopal News Service
      By: Mary Frances Schjonberg

      The 30 or so members of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Heathsville,
      Virginia, who opposed a recent vote by the majority of the
      congregation and the rector to join the Anglican Church of Nigeria say
      they want to continue as the Episcopal presence in their community.

      "We are prepared to continue to operate St. Stephen's as an Episcopal
      Church, and I think we have people who will agree to accept leadership
      positions and to continue to carry on the work of St. Stephen's
      Episcopal Church," said Dawn Mahaffey, one of the people who voted
      against what some members are calling "the secession."

      Sandra Kirkpatrick referred to that slowly organizing group as a
      "large, viable remnant."

      Their determination comes not without some pain.

      "Two of the speakers who wished to secede from the Episcopal Church
      told those of us sitting in the congregation that if we voted 'no' we
      were imperiling our immortal souls, and that was hard to hear," said
      Kirkpatrick, describing a discussion held during the week before the
      voting began. "This was said lovingly by people who have been my
      friends – dear friends – for over 10 years but they are very, very,
      very convinced that they are dong the right thing in leaving the
      Episcopal Church and they are acting genuinely worried about those of
      us who are not."

      Mahaffey said she does "truly love" the family she has at St. Stephen's.

      "This is not personal. These people have been my family, and I, and I
      don't think any of the others that have come to me, would harbor any
      evil feelings toward our fellow parishioners," she said. "This has
      been an issue around leadership and it's just been the way in which it
      has been handled. I don't think it's been done in a kind and equitable
      and fair way."

      She called the actions of the vestry and the rector, the Rev. Jeffrey
      Cerar, "divisive, irresponsible and manipulative."

      At that meeting to discuss the resolutions, Margaret Cox, a St.
      Stephen's member whose husband was rector from 1967 to 1972, said that
      a resolution to take possession of the St. Stephen's property "sounds
      like taking something that does not belong to you." She reiterated a
      number of the bequests and gifts given to the parish through the
      years, adding that "none of us owns this property; we only hold it in
      trust."

      Meade Kilduff, who was baptized at St. Stephen's on December 28, 1918,
      told the same meeting that she liked the liturgy, the Episcopal
      Church's history and tradition and the ways the Bible is emphasized
      "again and again."

      "Last but not least I like the inclusiveness of our church. It is our
      gem," she said. "I want to assure you, there is at St. Stephen's a
      loyal and substantial group of communicants committed to staying at
      St. Stephen's as an Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Virginia."

      Cox and Kilduff were part of a contingent that re-built St. Stephen's
      congregation after it dwindled to about 24 communicants in the 1970s,
      following a dispute with the diocese about vestry elections,
      Kirkpatrick said.

      "Now these ladies, they're ready to do it again," she said. "There is
      a very staunch core of older people who don't want this to happen."

      St. Stephen's is one of eight Diocese of Virginia congregations in
      which a majority of members announced December 17 that they were
      severing ties with the Episcopal Church and aligning themselves with
      Anglicans in either Nigeria or Uganda. More information about the
      Virginia votes is available here.

      Heathsville is the county seat of Northumberland County in what is
      known as the Northern Neck of Virginia, a peninsula that borders the
      Potomac and Rappahannock rivers and the Chesapeake Bay. While the
      jurisdiction known as the Parish of St. Stephen's dates to the 1650s,
      the congregation of St. Stephen's was formed in the 1880s and,
      according to the church's website, "struggled for decades to keep the
      church open."

      Mahaffey said there will be a meeting later this week to determine who
      is involved and what exactly they want to do.

      The Diocese of Virginia issued a statement December 18 saying it plans
      to offer "every encouragement to establish structures necessary for
      their continuity as the Episcopal Church." Meanwhile, the statement
      said, the departing and remaining members of all eight congregations
      have agreed to a 30-day "standstill" during which no actions will be
      taken concerning church property.

      A 40-day discernment period that led up to the vote felt like a
      "force-feeding" on the part of the vestry, Kirkpatrick said. However,
      the effort backfired in one small group as the members "managed to get
      into a serious discussion of what we wanted as Episcopalians, what we
      felt about our church and where our spiritual journeys had led us."

      "At the end of this 40-day discernment period we had discovered each
      other," she said "We had found that there were enough of us that
      really cared to remain Episcopalians and really cared about being an
      Episcopal Church presence in Heathsville that we were ready to go to
      the consider expense of time, money and emotion to try and do this, as
      opposed to just going elsewhere, which would be very, very easy to do."

      Both Mahaffey and Kirkpatrick said that the decision at the 2003
      General Convention to consent to the election of Gene Robinson as
      bishop of New Hampshire prompted a change in the attitude of St.
      Stephen's leadership, which only got more determined with time.

      Mahaffey said that Cerar initially said at a congregational meeting
      late in 2003 that he would try to work within the framework of the
      Episcopal Church to make changes but that he would leave if he felt he
      could not continue in the church. He said at that meeting that if he
      left and if others joined him, they would not attempt to take over St.
      Stephen's property, she said.

      In December 2003, Kirkpatrick said, a vestry survey showed that the
      majority of St. Stephen's members wanted to remain in the Episcopal
      Church.

      However, Mahaffey recalled, the perceived failings of the Episcopal
      Church "became the topic of his sermons from that point forward. It
      did not matter what the liturgy was for any given Sunday or what the
      Gospel was, there was always a way to bring the topic around to that
      issue. We very often got the message that the Episcopal Church had
      sinned and needed to be repentant."

      "It got to the point that our needs for pastoral oversight and
      ministry were not being met because of the single-minded focus on this
      issue. We were not hearing the Word and how that was applicable in our
      daily lives. I don't think we were being ministered to in all of our
      needs."

      There was a "steady outgo of people who found this message
      intolerable," Kirkpatrick said, and a "steady influx" of people who
      approved of the leadership's position.

      "Everyone down here knew that St. Stephen's was taking this stance,"
      she said.

      Mahaffey said the growing disaffection with the Episcopal Church "has
      been very well staged."

      "I think it has been sold to the congregation," she said. "Three years
      of hearing it week after week after week."

      The issue of homosexuality was the "precipitating event but it has
      gone so far beyond that that I haven't even heard that mentioned in
      probably the last year," Kirkpatrick said. "The first year it was an
      issue, but not since. It has been: 'We know the truth and we are
      telling it to you. If you don't accept this truth then you really
      don't belong here."

      "It is biblical inerrancy – taking the Bible seriously as a primary
      source, taking the Bible literally in a lot of cases. There's very
      much been from the pulpit and from everyone connected with the
      leaving-the-Episcopal-Church-side that there is one way, there is one
      truth and that they know what that one way and that one truth is… that
      anyone [who] believes, says, [or] accepts the idea that anyone could
      find truth in a religious life any way except through Jesus Christ in
      this particular narrow revelation of him is not a Christian."

      Because many members left St. Stephen's or didn't attend frequently,
      some of them were declared ineligible to vote on either December 10 or
      December 17, including Mahaffey's 21-year-old son.

      Acknowledging that the pressures of college and work also kept him
      away, Mahaffey said her son asked her a year ago: "Why would I want to
      sit there and have to listen to being indoctrinated into leaving
      something that I believe in?"

      It is painful, she said, to have this example set for him.

      Some have also questioned the ability of the parish's leadership to
      hold the vote on two different days. Kirkpatrick said that many people
      pushed to have the ballot boxes secured during the intervening days
      and they were in fact held in the evidence room of the county
      courthouse. A local paper featured a picture of the boxes being
      brought back to the church on December 17.

      After the vote was announced that day, Kirkpatrick said the rector
      told the meeting that "he hoped that we continue as a congregation,
      and that he wanted very much to be a pastor to everyone, whether they
      voted yes or no, but that those of us who voted no should submit to
      the will of the majority who had decided to leave the church."

      Mahaffey said she's disappointed that the dispute came down to the
      vote, which was 132-33 in favor of severing ties and 94-37 in favor of
      trying to retain the church property. Those who opposed either motion
      are not unanimous in their opinions about the Episcopal Church, she said.

      "The bottom line of all of us that we can agree on is that it's not
      worth what's going on here," she said.

      When she moved to the area, Kirkpatrick, who has been an Episcopalian
      for about 55 years, said she knew she was "more liberal in my
      theology" than many of the friends she made.

      "But we have all this time been a wonderful church where we might not
      agree about things but we could talk about them, and grow and learn
      from each other," she said. "I have grown a great deal here and I am
      very, very grateful for the spiritual experience that I had at St.
      Stephen's before all this happened."

      Mahaffey agreed that St. Stephen's has "good, loving people."

      "In many ways I feel that the back of St. Stephen's has been broken
      and that neither side is going to be whole. We are now a broken
      church. We are a broken parish. We are a broken family," she said. "It
      could have all been prevented had what was promised to us in 2003 come
      to fruition: that we work within the framework of the church to affect
      change with things that we disagree . . . Now we're all going to have
      to find a way to heal – both sides. But there is a loyal following of
      Episcopalians at St. Stephen's and we don't want to be forgotten."