Integrity Applauds Inclusion of Gay Candidate in List of Nominees, Newark

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2006
      INTEGRITY APPLAUDS INCLUSION OF GAY CANDIDATE IN LIST OF NOMINEES FOR
      BISHOP OF NEWARK.
      June 28, 2006
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Integrity applauds the Diocese of Newark for offering a stellar slate
      of qualified candidates to replace retiring Bishop John Croneberger --
      and is delighted that the list includes the Reverend Michael Barlowe,
      an openly gay priest who has been in a partnered relationship for 24
      years. Today's list, released less than a week after the Episcopal
      Church passed a resolution calling for "restraint" in the election of
      any bishop "whose manner of life" presents a "challenge" to the
      greater communion is received by Integrity as a tremendous sign of
      hope for the Episcopal Church and for its commitment to the full
      inclusion of LGBT people in the Body of Christ.

      "The resolution passed on the final day of our General Convention
      contained veiled language calling for the discrimination against gays
      and lesbians in this church," said Integrity President, the Reverend
      Susan Russell. "We are very pleased that the Diocese of Newark has
      declined to be bullied into bigotry."

      "We recognize that had the language in question been in place prior to
      the election of our Presiding Bishop-elect Katharine Jefferts Schori
      we might not be preparing to celebrate the gift of the first female
      Primate to the Anglican Communion," Russell continued. "Our prayers
      will be with the Diocese of Newark, that they may be given the same
      faithful courage in electing their next diocesan bishop as the
      Episcopal Church was given in electing our next Presiding Bishop."